30 Amp Converison Kit - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
30 Amp Converison Kit

Converts hard wire RV power to detachable power hook-up quickly and easily. Kit contains Power inlet,Female connector, Weatherproof cover and everything needed for easy install. You use your power cord. This is a very easy kit to install.
Attached Thumbnails
30 amp conversion kit.jpg  

Old 09-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Looks nice, what's the entire kit $$$

Old 09-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #3

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Here is another reason to install the kit: The ants and other critters can no longer walk up the power cord and enter the camper.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #4

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Another thought.

I had thought about doing this. I decided to approach things a bit differently than some other Scamp owners. The cord comes out of the large storage space under the street side dinette bench seat. I added a small partition as close to the converter as I could get it. Now the cord, and extension cords, and a water hose all live in side where 30 amp cord comes in. They're all contained in the front of the locker. The back is now free to use for other things.
There's a couple drawbacks to a cord that plugs in.
1. Additional connector creates an additional failure point. A connector will fail long before a hard wired connection.
2. You now have to find some place to store the cord.
3. The full length (approx. 25') of the cord is on the ground even if you only need 5'. Trip hazard.
4. You have drag the cord out of it's storage place instead of simply pulling the cord out.
5. When putting away the cord you have handle and generally coil the full 25' of cord instead of simply pushing the amount you have out back in.

As far a Darwin's concern about insects. Yes, there is that. However, the only insects I've had in my trailer are a few spiders, and the flying kind. That's very few spiders, maybe 4 or 5 over the almost 7 years of Scamping.

Just something more to think about before jumping onto the "change this" band wagon.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I just got one of these kits yesterday, after debating over it for a couple years.

A few of the reasons why I did it were;
1. the prongs on the trailer mount are all breaking off do to not being flexible in cold temps
2. The cord often tangles with other things in the storage area it goes in necessitating going inside and clearing.
3. Bugs, but only to the very slightest degree. If the cover is closed after the cord is out, there is very little space left around it. Could be that I have a larger cable?

I have no worries with you concerns, Byron. Not much different in use than my water and gas hoses. For some storage might be an issue.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #6

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I just got one of these kits yesterday, after debating over it for a couple years.

A few of the reasons why I did it were;
1. the prongs on the trailer mount are all breaking off do to not being flexible in cold temps
2. The cord often tangles with other things in the storage area it goes in necessitating going inside and clearing.
3. Bugs, but only to the very slightest degree. If the cover is closed after the cord is out, there is very little space left around it. Could be that I have a larger cable?

I have no worries with you concerns, Byron. Not much different in use than my water and gas hoses. For some storage might be an issue.
Great, I'm glad it works well for you.
One more reason that it might work so well for me. I use the cord so little that if it was detached I might not be able to find it if I wanted it. But, then that might not be so bad either.

Pros and Cons from different view points are always good.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #7

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I use a 12Gauge extension cord to connect up at camp grounds (15Amp) and a really short adapter at the camper end. It takes me less time to place the cord in the bed of the truck than what it took to store the original heavy power cord and the 15 amp runs everything in the camper.

I've had ants in the camper B 4. Should the get in they may create a nest inside somewhere and that can be a problem.

At one time I placed a camper in a camp ground and stayed in it from Monday thru Thursday all year long for 5 years. Dealt with all the problems heat, cold, furnace, fridge hot water, freezing pipes,propane, ants, etc.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #8

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
This kit is very easy to install if you are handy. Use your own power cord. I like it because it keeps rodents, dirt and water out of your trailer.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #9

Name: Todd
Trailer: 1974 Scamp 13'
Malvern, Ohio
Registry
30 Amp Cord Conversion Kit - Conntek Integrated Solutions I RV30CVS - Electrical Adapters - Camping World