Axle Seals for #3500 Axles - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
Axle Seals for #3500 Axles

Axle wheel seals for #3500 pound axles found on Bigfoot and Escape dual axle trailers. When repacking wheel bearings you should replace the axle seals.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2012, 05:53 AM   #2

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Are these double lip seals like used on the Alko and Dexter EZ lube 3500# axle? What is the I.D and O.D. of the seals?
Thanks Eddie

Old 08-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #3

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Chuck View Post
Axle wheel seals for #3500 pound axles found on Bigfoot and Escape dual axle trailers. When repacking wheel bearings you should replace the axle seals.
If you repack your bearings by hand every year, then you should be fine with inspecting and replacing only worn or defective seals.
Some extraction methods do destroy the seals though, then(of course) they must be replaced.
Clean the seal and look closely, the seal usually has a part #, either stamped in the metal or molded into the neoprene.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #4

Name: Art
Trailer: Helite
Due to the labor involved I always put in new seals.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Some extraction methods do destroy the seals though, then(of course) they must be replaced.
LOL due to lack of finesse in the extraction method the seals always need replacing
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #6

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Removing seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If you repack your bearings by hand every year, then you should be fine with inspecting and replacing only worn or defective seals.
Clean the seal and look closely, the seal usually has a part #, either stamped in the metal or molded into the neoprene.
Floyd;

When I had the Scamp factory replace my axle they told me to repack (grease) the bearings every 10,000 miles or once a year (which ever comes first). They told me the type of grease to use and to always replace the seals. I have repacked my boat trailer bearings , inspected the seals and replaced them only when necessary. Is it possible for you to describe the right and wrong way to remove Scamp seals? I would think you could remove and inspect the seals without destroying them if one new the proper procedure

Thanks Steve D
Old 08-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #7

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Floyd;

When I had the Scamp factory replace my axle they told me to repack (grease) the bearings every 10,000 miles or once a year (which ever comes first). They told me the type of grease to use and to always replace the seals. I have repacked my boat trailer bearings , inspected the seals and replaced them only when necessary. Is it possible for you to describe the right and wrong way to remove Scamp seals? I would think you could remove and inspect the seals without destroying them if one new the proper procedure

Thanks Steve D
Once the hub is removed and the outboard bearing is out of the way, you simply place the hub, with the inboard side down, on a solid surface with clearance under the seal. Get take a hardwood dowel or an old piece of hardwood broom handle (I keep a hickory hammer handle for this purpose).
Insert the dowel through the outboard side of the hub at an angle sufficient to catch the inner race on the inboard bearing. Sharply and adroitly strike the end of the dowel with a small hammer. The bearing will be ejected taking the seal with it, without harm to either part.

Tags
axle