Girard Tankless Water Heater GSWH-1 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Bob, why do you keep making a reference to shore power? It is 12 VDC with less then a 3 A draw. It probably doesn't draw near that when it is not operating, especially if you switch it off.

Please think past your bias. Do you sell a competitive product or something? Other then noise you don't have any reason for your objection.

Depending on how much it costs, which the OP is in a position to tell us, I may be buying one of these in the future.
Don't think I mentioned Shore power that much, but, if the reason for a tankless water heater is a longer supply of water, ya gotta get it from someplace as well as put the used water some place, hence full hookups???

Tankless works fine in the residential environment, but I can't see any advantage for the average FGRV owner except a need for long or many showers etc.

In as much there is still only 1 RV approved tankless water heater out there, it doesn't look like the tide is turning.....

Besides that, isn't your Mantra to fix, repair, recycle and reuse everything until it has no future use?????

Here's your prices: RV Tankless Water Heater from Girard - PPL Motor Homes

Old 05-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #16

Name: Fran L and Dave W
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
New Mexico
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
Thanks for the voice of reason, David. I'm planning to have some sort of on-demand water heater in my trailer, unless I hear a well-thought-out reason for not doing it. I have electric ones in both my houses, and they're noiseless, so I don't know why an lp one would be noisy. I'd think firing up a stove or heater would be equally noisy, if that's the case.
We have a tankless hot water heater and a tankless furnace boiler in our house. We like the energy efficiency. They are located in the garage and we can hear them fire up when we are inside the house...sounds like the UPS truck is coming up the driveway. Can't imagine what it would be like inside a trailer...but maybe those are smaller.....

Old 05-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #17

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Trying to fathom the advantage of a tankless water heater.
I have a six-gallon tank. Turn it on for half an hour and I have instant hot water all day. And, I'm not pouring water down the drain waiting for it to get hot.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #18

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
I'll be buying it for its efficiency - not for the length of a shower. It uses less fuel and is easier to winterize, since there is no holding tank. And there's a weight savings. I just don't understand why there's such vitriol. Guess I'll just have to steer clear of you.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Don't think I mentioned Shore power that much, but, if the reason for a tankless water heater is a longer supply of water, ya gotta get it from someplace as well as put the used water some place, hence full hookups???

Tankless works fine in the residential environment, but I can't see any advantage for the average FGRV owner except a need for long or many showers etc.

In as much there is still only 1 RV approved tankless water heater out there, it doesn't look like the tide is turning.....

Besides that, isn't your Mantra to fix, repair, recycle and reuse everything until it has no future use?????
To sum up what I have already said.

The advantage is:
Lighter, (6gal of water = 50 lbs)
Smaller
Easier to winterize
Unlimited hot water

The water source could be a lake or near by stream, (but I would bleach it after use) or a large container of solar sterilized water, what ever.

Mantra? I was not aware that I had one, but sure that will do. The trouble is, I don't have a water heater to fix, repair, recycle or reuse. I see so many advertised that have a ruptured tank from freezing, that I am leery of buying one.

BTW, mostly my reason for that mantra is that it is way easier to replace a broken fridge, furnace,.... what ever, with the same thing. Just slide it in an hook it up.

A water heater will be a new install for me, no matter what one I choose. $630 looks to be the sale price, $790 regular price.

Cheaper here:
Girard Tankless LP Propane RV Instant HOT Water Heater Camper Motorhome | eBay
And they ship to Canada! No brokerage.

They are kinda expensive.

It looks like Attwood makes one too:
On-DemandWater Heaters - Atwood Mobile

Are they not approved?

It will be some time before I buy another water heater. The Coleman is serving me well, but they don't make them any more, and it won't last forever.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #20

California
Quote:
I'll be buying it for its efficiency - not for the length of a shower. It uses less fuel and is easier to winterize, since there is no holding tank. And there's a weight savings. I just don't understand why there's such vitriol. Guess I'll just have to steer clear of you.
Before list members are condemned with mean-spirited words like Vitriol for offering an opinion, it might be best to look up it's meaning.
vitriol - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com

I, for one, find myself offended by such undeserved and inappropriate language, both towards me or anyone else.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #21

British Columbia
Quote:
I just don't understand why there's such vitriol. Guess I'll just have to steer clear of you.
I don't see vitriol. I just see good arguments for a standard water heater.
Who is "you" anyway?
Old 05-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #22

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Actually, I did think there was harsh criticism (the definition of vitriol). I didn't claim that it was directed at me - but at the product. And I don't think it's a "mean-spirited" word, just a word.
"You" would be Bob, not "you", Glenn:-), though I might have to steer clear of everyone, if the heater is too noisy.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #23

British Columbia
Noise aside, I'd be interested to know just how much more efficient it is than a standard water heater.
Like I said I turn mine on for half an hour ( only if I need hot water ) and shut it off. The water remains hot ( or hot enough anyway ) for the rest of the day.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #24

Alberta
Registry
I suspect that for our purposes, there is no efficiency advantage, unless you take long showers, and like Bob said, where would you drain it to?

To me the only significant advantage is weight. No reason to throw away your existing water heater.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #25

California
BTW: Is there any existing documentation that the Girard unit is more efficient, in the FGRV application, than a standard water heater and, if so, does the savings trump the significant additional cost? If so, what is the ROI timeline?

BTW: The Atwood OD45 is about $985 list.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #26

Alberta
Registry
LIST? We don't need no stink'n list!

Bob, What type of testing would you do that is FGRV specific?
Old 05-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #27

Alberta
Registry
Hmm... Yet another approved on demand water heater. Hey Bob, maybe there is a demand for these kinds of water heaters.

Sorry to the OP, who probably did not expect so much discussion of other brands.

RV-550 €“ Tankless Water Heater for RVs and Trailers - PrecisionTemp

This one says:
"Is the RV-550 as noisy as my current tank heater?

No. It is so quiet that the only way you know it is operating is that you have hot water!"

Kinda hard to believe for a 55000 BTU burner.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #28

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
LIST? We don't need no stink'n list!

Bob, What type of testing would you do that is FGRV specific?

I think that the FGRV lifestyle is a bit more basic than, say, that of a retired couple in a 38" diesel pusher who always stay in RV resorts.

The point being, that I think it is safe to "Guess" that the FGRV life style uses less hot water that larger rigs. Add to that, larger rigs can have a walk-in shower, a dishwasher and a clothes washer, all of which will indicate a higher use of hot water and a more appropriate use of a tankless water heater, and if it is noisy, everyone is inside watching one of the two 42" flatscreens and that alone will drown out the water heaters noise, if the diesel generator doesn't.

Without any figures to review, I just don't think that LP efficiency is a card in the deck.