Girard Tankless Water Heater GSWH-1 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #29

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Without any figures to review, I just don't think that LP efficiency is a card in the deck.
Good point Girard claims greater then 90% efficiency, (a figure). What efficiency do the makers of Tank style waters claim.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #30

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Hmm... Yet another approved on demand water heater. Hey Bob, maybe there is a demand for these kinds of water heaters.

Sorry to the OP, who probably did not expect so much discussion of other brands.

RV-550 – Tankless Water Heater for RVs and Trailers - PrecisionTemp

This one says:
"Is the RV-550 as noisy as my current tank heater?

No. It is so quiet that the only way you know it is operating is that you have hot water!"

Kinda hard to believe for a 55000 BTU burner.
Yep, as long as you are inside I am sure the noise is minimal, just like a generator. My comment about noise comes from camping next to one that came on with a pop and then roared until it shut off.

When I got the price for the Atwood, my local RV supplier, who services over 1000 units a year, indicated that they had never sold one that wasn't a replacement for an existing one, nor do they stock them.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #31

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
The PrecisionTemp also claims:
Quote:
The VariFlame control system then keeps the water temperature constant, regardless of the flow rate or incoming water temperature.
So maybe some of those other objections are being met, too.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
BTW, mostly my reason for that mantra is that it is way easier to replace a broken fridge, furnace,.... what ever, with the same thing. Just slide it in an hook it up.

A water heater will be a new install for me, no matter what one I choose. $630 looks to be the sale price, $790 regular price.

Cheaper here:
Girard Tankless LP Propane RV Instant HOT Water Heater Camper Motorhome | eBay
And they ship to Canada! No brokerage.

They are kinda expensive
Cheaper still here - $503.68
Girard GSWH-1 Tankless Water Heater
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #33

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Cheaper still here - $503.68
Girard GSWH-1 Tankless Water Heater
I went to the link. It's funny that they call it:
"Tankless Water Heater 6 gal Giard GSWH-1M"

6 gal?

It is tempting, but other priorities call.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #34

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
The heading on that web page is mistyped - is the "6 gal" another sign of sloppiness? Nothing about it in the specs. Please note that I am NOT jumping to buy one either.
Tankless Water Heater 6 gal Giard GSWH-1M

Old 05-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #35

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Giving them the benefit of the doubt, maybe it's to indicate that it's a direct replacement for a 6-gallon model. The PrecisionTemp is a replacement for a 10-gallon model.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #36

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
A small tankless water heater is more energy efficient only because it eliminates standby losses , I cannot fathom that there is that much standby energy losses in a storage tank style RV 6 gallon water heater. The biggest drawbacks to a small on demand water heaters IMHO is temperature variation due to flow rate and incoming water temperatures. They work well for a small hand washing sink
I have installed larger on demand water heaters coupled with a standard storage tank style water heater for large shower facilities . The dual system seemed to function well for its intended purpose
Old 05-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #37

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
update for all the complaints. Girard Tankless Water Heater Model GSWH-1M with Built in Winter Use Device Camper Trailer RV

Door is not included - See accessories below

On-Demand
Induced Draft LP Gas Tankless Water Heater

The Girard Products' GSWH-1M Tankless Water Heater incorporates a power blower that forces the combustion air through the heat exchanger (Induced draft). This new design results in a unit capable of providing:

Higher burner power in a smaller package
Higher combustion efficiency
Heat transfer efficiencies in excess of 90% without condensation
Higher wind resistance performance
Instant hot water: An unlimited supply of hot water when you need it plus no recovery time!
Energy efficient: Heat only the water you use. The GSWH-1M tankless water heater uses 60% less LP gas than current tank models. No tank means no heat loss!
Lightweight: Over 65% lighter than conventional tank model water heaters. Why carry 50-90 lbs. of additional dead weight
CSA Approved
Electronic Ignition - State of the Art Electronics: No pilot lights or manual burners to keep lighting or adjusting
Dual BTU: For improved energy efficiency, you can change the burner from HI-FLAME to LOW-FLAME
No By-Pass Valving Needed: The GSWH-1M tankless water heater has no storage tank to by-pass when winterizing the unit.
No Rust or Sediment: Since there is no storage tank, you can forget about replacing anode rods and cleaning rust and sediment out of a tank.
WUD: Prevents Water Heater from freezing in Winter Conditions. RV must be designed for Winter Use.
Specifications:

BTU/HR : 18,000 - 36,000
Fuel : Propane (LP Gas)
Inlet Pressure : 10.5" WCI Min TO 14" WCI Max
Manifold Pressure : 8" - 10" WCI Max
Power Input : 12VDC < 3 amp
Water Operating Pressure : 125 PSI Max
Maximum Water Temperature : 131F
Dimensions : W 12.5" x H 12.5" x D 15.5"
Shipping Weight (w/Shipping box) : 32 lbs.

Manual .
I have only sold two units last year to Canadians.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #38

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I am thinking of installing something like these on the front of my 1985 16' Scamp.
I plan to install a stainless stand off plate on the front and mounting something like the following heaters intended for camping not necessarily for a trailer. This is why it will be outside in the open. A tempering valve would help regulate the temperature

Triton 5L Portable Water Heater | Camp Chef

Amazon.com: Camp Chef HWD5 Triton Hot Water Heater: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Coleman Hot Water-On-Demand Portable Water Heater: Sports & Outdoors
Old 10-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #39

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
None of the items you show are intended for permanent outside use. I'd suspect that they wouldn't last long as a permanent installation.

Is there a particular reason you don't want to use a regular RV water heater?
Old 10-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Just curious who is capable of servicing a tankless water heater if/when it fails to heat whilst on a long road trip.......

That alone makes it a "no thanks" for me.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #41

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The reasons I don't want to use a standard RV hot water heater are:

1. Expense of buying a new one
2. Not as efficient as an on demand unit
3. Don't want the additional weight of the RV tank
4. I like the "Instant on and powered by 2 D cells.
5. Costs $115 vs ?
6 If it fails it is $115 to replace. Don't look for service as above post

These are made for camping and a friend has one attached to the side of his SS sink for cooking competitions and he is very happy with it and uses small LP portable bottles. He suggested I look into it.
I plan on mounting it on a bent up shield made for stainless steel and using a tempering valve for too hot protection.
It will be used just like it was designed as a camping heater, just plumbed into the trailer for hot water.
I will need to provide low point drains for winterizing the feeds to it and since I am completely refurbishing the trailer I will insulate the water lines while I am at it.
My goal is to keep the trailer as light as possible and provide as much space inside for storage since we are adding twin beds in the rear storage space will be at a premium.
I am reworking the side bath (1985) to a front bath and the lines to the shower will be very short.
Thr "kitchen" sink will be just aft on the driver's side in the ~ 37 inches between the shower wall and the bunk.
My goal is to build a comfortable travelling trailer to be able to make long treks mostly in RV parks. I considered using the small electrical point of use heaters, but we may want to use a small Honda generator for off grid later.
We have never really used the stove and range in other campers so a microwave and electric skillet is in the offing.
As for heat I am planning on installing a window heat pump in the front by the door with a backup electric resistance heater (no lp heater).
Right now the Scamp is a "Blank Canvas" with everything stripped out and frame work getting started.
Lots of thinking and planning to go.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #42

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
JD, your re-build sounds very interesting. I too have thought about one of these remote LP water heaters. The only "experience" I have with one is the local Humane Society uses one at the monthy dog washes. As near as I can tell, they are almost silent. They surely would not offend anyone. My thoughts are to use one mounted on a hand truck with its' own propane bottle. When I expect to boondock I will put it in the back of the truck and take it along. At camp, I will set it next to the Scamp and tie it into the plumbing. I have not figured all this out yet but it should work fine. Yes, it is a little cumbersome, but it is only for those times we are dry camping and as such we most likely will be setting up for enough duration to make it worthwhile. If not, I will just heat enough water to do the job in a kettle or pot on a burner.

And for full disclosure, at the dog wash they do let the water run a little to get the right temp. But in a boondocking situation there is no need to "waste" that water, it could be run into a bucket and used for flushing or such. I suppose I could also let it cool and the dog could drink it.

Please take some photos and start another thread with your project, I would be very interested to see your mods.