Introducing the Happier Camper HC1, prototype photos - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-28-2015, 06:45 AM   #169

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Great job, well done.....

Old 08-28-2015, 08:49 AM   #170

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderscamper View Post
I have some doubts about getting enough sun to charge up. Does the solar unit charge while trucking down the road? Can a "wind" option be added to help?
Solar is adequate for most trailer electrical needs. It doesn't take a lot of charging time for a 100 watt panel to charge the battery. It charges even though there's not direct (no clouds) sunshine. The cloudiest spots in the country have about 50% clear days.

As well any time you're towing you can be charging from your tow vehicle. I haven't read the specs of the Happy Camper but most likely it has a converter that will charge the battery when ever you're plugged in. When we're home we always keep it plugged in.

Solar's better than wind except at night.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #171

Name: Wendy
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
Congrats to the newest FGRV! I posted your photo on my Facebook page.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:09 PM   #172

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
I went up to the happier Camper yard yesterday talked at some length with Dustin, the owner. The camper is very interesting and I see a lot of very good ideas. The trailers are at the very new stage, so still need some thinking to solve so of the small items that need more attention. They will out grow there small production area in short order, if they get more than two campers to build at one time. The modular system is interesting and the sections seem to hold tight where they are placed. Thanks Dustin for you time, I do wish you the best of luck with sales
Old 08-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #173
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by captsteve2002 View Post
I went up to the happier Camper yard yesterday talked at some length with Dustin, the owner. The camper is very interesting and I see a lot of very good ideas. The trailers are at the very new stage, so still need some thinking to solve so of the small items that need more attention. They will out grow there small production area in short order, if they get more than two campers to build at one time. The modular system is interesting and the sections seem to hold tight where they are placed. Thanks Dustin for you time, I do wish you the best of luck with sales
Just want to clarify Steve that who you talked to and the owner of happier camper is Derek and not Dustin but not to worry as I call him by the wrong name all the time and he's been my son for 39 years.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:15 PM   #174
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekmichael View Post
Hello folks!
Just took a few photos of the HC1 in a ALL YELLOW gel coat.
Looks great .... although I have a very soft spot for yellow
Ian G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #175

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
Mike I am sorry, his card was in my brief case, and not near me when I was writing yesterday. I do like the little trailers, some very good ideas.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:44 AM   #176
Commercial Member

Name: Derek
Trailer: Boler
California
Hi Steve! thanks for coming by and checking out the HC1s. Its been super hot out here the last few weeks and we have been working hard getting out the first HC1 units. Im glad i got a chance to show you around.

Mike has a habit of calling me every one of his sons names but my own, i gave up correcting him years ago

Im always working on new things to make the modular system better, thats the beauty of having it, upgrades forever! There are things to improve and develop further, i pay a lot of attention to seasoned advice on here, were in this for the long haul.

The assembly lot is small but efficient, and im confident in doing 2 up to 3 trailers a week at our current location. To produce more we would need more molds made, and a bigger location. We can build trailers out now with a estimated wait of 2 - 3 months based on accessory availability. Im much more interested in building a great quality long lasting product then producing mass quantities. The HC1 is fundamentally different then most other trailers in production and ownership.

We have a small but great staff that are dedicated ultra light trailer enthusiasts, I'm currently looking for a few more to join us on the building and fabrication side. Its a big step going from renting vintage trailers to being in full production, but i think were making the merge work.

Very happy to hear a nice comment on Facebook from the customer of our first unit sold.

"Picked up our HC1 in Los Angeles last week and couldn't be 'happier!' It is ever bit as spacious inside as the photos show and all of the well-thought-out features (solar panel, max air fan cools this thing down quick!, cup holder) have added up to one fantastic camper. Here's a photo of our first night camping in Zion (the Bishop Red color is gorgeous!) Thanks again, Derek and team! Your biggest problem will be that you can't build these fast enough!"

Here is the great photo she took of the first red HC1 on the open road

Im sending out 4 more HC1s this week, im sure there will be some great photos to come.

Stay cool out there!
Old 08-30-2015, 09:20 AM   #177

Name: Mo
Trailer: Still looking
Texas
Wowza! So wonderful. Creating a trailer with a large rear hatch door is pure design genius and really gets the mojo going in terms of all the ways this trailer can be used.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #178
Commercial Member

Ontario
Two words you probably never hear together here are 13 foot trailer and spacious ,i guess that's actually four words but having 5 different trailers on the lot to compare to (scamp,boler ,trillium,burro,compact jr) that is the one major difference you can see and feel in the HC1
Old 09-22-2015, 11:39 PM   #179
Commercial Member

Ontario
Just got home from LA with the HC1 after an 11 day 11 state cross country trip and would like to share some personal experience in towing and camping with it. The trailer we brought is the first prototype and is mlssing the finer finishes and components on the production models but is all we can use for now to bring to some east coast and Midwest rallies and also have for display for anyone in the Michigan / Ontario area who would like to come by and check it out.. I would also like to apologize to ( Pam algonac) (Tom KS ) and (Alf niagara) for not being able to make there rallies as the timing and logistics to make it were about a week off. Next year for sure.

Since it was only going to be my wife and I and we would be just camping at campsites or rest stops along the way with no long term camping we decided to configure the trailer for comfort and easy pack up. We made the back a queen size bed (full 60 inches) a full kitchenette in the front corner (40x20) and one cooler cube at the side door entrance very convenient as it was very easy to access

The cushions we have in the prototype are not the same as in the production models but we're still pretty comfortable with a 1 inch layer of foam over top . The production coushions have 2 inches of foam with a 1 inch layer of vented memory foam melded together and are very comfortable.

We left LA late in the afternoon and could only make it to the middle of the Mohave dessert were we spent the night . It was 95 degrees at midnight and with the fantastic fan turned to high and running all night it was quite comfortable . ( all the production models come with max fans and are much quieter and have 10 speeds rather than 3 )

Sleeping in the Hc1 there is an amazing difference for any one over 6 feet tall comparing to any other fg or small trailer and six inches makes a huge difference and I know because I've slept in almost every type of fg trailer .

The rest of the trip varied allot in night time temperatures from the 50s to 80s so there was allot of adjusting to keep the cabin comfortable . One of the best things we bought before the trip was a rumple blanket that we had seen at the outdoor trade show in Salt Lake City . It is an amazing blanket for any cold tempertures kind of like an electric blanket without the cord won't go anywhere cold without it.

On our 11 day trip we did not have to plug in once and we used the fan every night as well as the lights the solar kept the battery topped up very well . I know we did not take the trailer into extreme conditions and that will take some more planning but for the way we used it it was pretty much perfect.

One thing that happened to us frequently on this trip is that where ever we stopped we would have huge amounts of people come up to us and want to see the trailer even trying to get us to pull over I've experienced this many times in my other trailers but never like this we even had crowds around the trailer (made for a slow go as sometimes I would spend an hour showing the trailer). l know allot of this may sound biased as l have a relationship to this company but it is truly what I experienced on this trip.

Another thing I experienced on this trip and really surprised me is to lay in bed with the back hatch opened and look out ,it is very mesmerizing and peacefull at the same time, never experienced that before in a trailer.

The rest of the trip was pretty smooth going and I won't bore you with the detailes or it would take me 11 days to write this or more with my typing skills and I'll try to post pictures tomorrow
Old 09-23-2015, 09:25 AM   #180
Commercial Member

Ontario
Photos

Kicking back with painted dessert out the back door
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #181

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B17
Washington
Registry
Oh, I love that shot of your wife looking out the big rear hatch. Is there a way to screen it off. Nice to be open to the scenery, but not to the bugs!
Old 09-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #182
Commercial Member

Ontario
Yes Kathy we will have a screen that will snap around the door and will double as a shower curtain but on this trip there were no bugs .