Introducing the Happier Camper HC1, prototype photos - Page 15 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-25-2016, 07:55 AM   #197

Name: Marty
Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Registry
Having and Adventure bike (or2) and a boler American I have always thought about the hatch back modification for a Scamp 16. I really like what I see and @ $16 to $20 K the price seems rite. Nice job.

Marty

Old 02-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #198

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B17
Washington
Registry
Haha! Funny! The Happier Camper looked great and what good exposure for it. The TV hosts were clueless but entertaining! :-)

Old 02-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #199
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
here are some photos from the vintage trailer show during modernism week in Palm Springs this past weekend there were 5 fg trailers there including our hc1s a trillium 1300 and the new relic trailer amongst the gleaming vintage trailers . It was a great weekend and looking forward to next yearhttp://happiercamper.tumblr.com/post/140100451141
Old 02-28-2016, 05:39 PM   #200

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Smiltneek View Post
Having and Adventure bike (or2) and a boler American I have always thought about the hatch back modification for a Scamp 16. I really like what I see and @ $16 to $20 K the price seems rite. Nice job.

Marty
DOH! No, you were supposed to say it's overpriced and that you expected it to be closer to $11,000! (This would benefit all of us who are looking)
Old 02-29-2016, 09:37 AM   #201

Name: Kristen
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1
Colorado
I have an Archaus shelter/tailgate tent that I am selling - it fits on the back end of the HC1. It also has the clip-in screen house. It is brand new; we just decided that it was something we did not need at this point. Runs about $500 new. I will take best offer and ship out as soon as possible! Message me if interested
Old 04-09-2016, 07:44 AM   #202
Commercial Member

Ontario
The happier camper is happy to announce we will be the first trailer in North America to equip our trailer with a light weight aircondioner that can be powered by ac/ dc. You can see more of it here.
http://happiercamper.tumblr.com/post/142336540366
Old 04-09-2016, 08:05 AM   #203

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Thanks for update. 450 watts. How long have you been able to run off the DC battery in your testing so far? It Sure looks good up there on the roof.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #204

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Very interesting unit, Mike. Looks great for a small trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #205
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Thanks for update. 450 watts. How long have you been able to run off the DC battery in your testing so far? It Sure looks good up there on the roof.
Although the ac unit will run off of dc we have not fully tested it yet to see how long it will run as we are waiting for a eu converter . Our main reason for going with this unit is not for the ac cooling as it may still be to much draw on the batteries but for the fan that can be used with little draw and and the much less weight , dc cooling would only be a bonus. Most ac units now in use do not have the option for dc fan use and are kinda useless without ac power. We Think the best way this will work will to remove the heat out of the trailer in the evening and than switching it to fan to keep the cabin comfortable and not a continuous all day all night use. We have installed it in one of our prototypes and it cools the trailer very well
Old 04-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #206

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I assume then that Dometic does now produce this unit for 120V at all, thus the need for a 230V to 120V converter, correct?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #207
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I assume then that Dometic does now produce this unit for 120V at all, thus the need for a 230V to 120V converter, correct?
Yes Jim I believe you are correct as these units are being imported from Europe by dometic for us
Old 04-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #208

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
450W divided by 12V gives us 37.5A/hr. A group 24 battery might last 2 hours?
Old 04-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #209
Commercial Member

Ontario
Yes mike your math may be correct but with our 100 watt panel and the Amg battery we'll probably get a little more than that but the real benefit will be the dc fan and the almost 40 pound weight difference and being able to use a much smaller generator.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #210

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
There is also the potential to run off the TV while driving. Not sure if the electrical math would work out, lot would depend on the charging system of the tow vehicle. I could see being able to get even a couple hours of nap time in AC comfort while parked in Wal-Mart or rest area as useful.

Not sure but it would seem that a pair of batteries with either a small generator to recharge batteries and assume load might work out to 8 hrs. of AC for 4 hrs. of generator time. I think 100 watt solar panel yields around 31 watt hrs. a day.

Have to consider AC only draws full power when cooling cycle is running. Not a continuous draw at that rate. What temperature you set AC to maintain, ambient temperature, insulation, sun vs. shade all go into what will work. This unit seems like it at least makes off grid AC more feasible than it has been.

Less weight, lower profile, smaller generator required, can use fan from house battery as powered vent when boondocking or as AC unit hooked up to shore power. With possible use of air conditioner via DC power. Hmmm interesting, very interesting. But not stupid. < said in Arte Johnson voice>