Introducing the Happier Camper HC1, prototype photos - Page 16 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-13-2016, 01:52 PM   #211
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Might be a good fit
The Happier Camper • Hey Tesla, we found your trailer!

Sent from my iPad

Old 04-13-2016, 05:42 PM   #212

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
The problem I have here is in the efficiency, or near complete lack thereof.
3,500 btu of cooling power to 450 watts of electricity is, well, almost so bad it's a joke.
That's an EER of 7.7. I have _never_ seen an AC that bad before. Even old mechanical 5kbtu window units are about 9.2. Modern ones go up over 12.3! At 12.3 I CAN keep my trailer cooled on solar. The bigger AC doesn't run nearly as much as this 3.5k would, while taking within 10 watts of this little 3.5k unit's power draw.

You can get a 6,400 BTU window unit for $155 right now retail price that takes less than 500 watts. It's also about the same weight. Yes, it cannot be installed on the roof without looking ridiculous and using lots of custom covers. But still. Over 5,000 btu and less than 450 watts for a modern $125 window AC.

Form factor is sadly the only thing this AC has going for it.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #213
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenjiFox View Post
The problem I have here is in the efficiency, or near complete lack thereof.
3,500 btu of cooling power to 450 watts of electricity is, well, almost so bad it's a joke.
That's an EER of 7.7. I have _never_ seen an AC that bad before. Even old mechanical 5kbtu window units are about 9.2. Modern ones go up over 12.3! At 12.3 I CAN keep my trailer cooled on solar. The bigger AC doesn't run nearly as much as this 3.5k would, while taking within 10 watts of this little 3.5k unit's power draw.

You can get a 6,400 BTU window unit for $155 right now retail price that takes less than 500 watts. It's also about the same weight. Yes, it cannot be installed on the roof without looking ridiculous and using lots of custom covers. But still. Over 5,000 btu and less than 450 watts for a modern $125 window AC.

Form factor is sadly the only thing this AC has going for it.
obviously
Ken one thing we won't do is install something that won't work to the greatest degree possible. The unit we are testing has performed very well so far but we have not had the extreme heat conditions that I'm sure we will encounter in mid summer. A $125 window air would be great if someone wanted but I don't think it would work well with our trailer. I also believe that the reason a 3500 btu roof unit will work as good as a 5000 btuwindow unit is the thermodynamic property of cool air falling which is much more effective from a roof mounted unit. I have a 5000 window unit in my 4500 trillium and it turns the trailer into an icebox so I have to run it on the lowest setting which creates another problem of cycling on and off and can be annoying. This unit has been the norm in most smaller rv,s in Europe and Australia where it can get pretty hot so I would think form is not the only thing going for it but will let you know.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:13 AM   #214

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
A fun video is up if interested. Not many insects/Skeeters in Cali I see, doors wide open
https://vimeo.com/kengrinde
Old 04-14-2016, 09:44 AM   #215

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
obviously
Ken one thing we won't do is install something that won't work to the greatest degree possible. The unit we are testing has performed very well so far but we have not had the extreme heat conditions that I'm sure we will encounter in mid summer. A $125 window air would be great if someone wanted but I don't think it would work well with our trailer. I also believe that the reason a 3500 btu roof unit will work as good as a 5000 btuwindow unit is the thermodynamic property of cool air falling which is much more effective from a roof mounted unit. I have a 5000 window unit in my 4500 trillium and it turns the trailer into an icebox so I have to run it on the lowest setting which creates another problem of cycling on and off and can be annoying. This unit has been the norm in most smaller rv,s in Europe and Australia where it can get pretty hot so I would think form is not the only thing going for it but will let you know.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look and concept of your trailer, and your eagerness to work with Tesla.
I also realize that most people who run an AC on their camper will have mains power or a generator to do so. Power usage is not even considered by most folks in an RV. After-all, its typically unlimited at a camp site. The fact that the unit is small and fits the trailer well should be the main priority besides being able to keep it cool.

I only pointed out the terrible efficiency since running on DC was mentioned. The fact of the matter is that 450 watts IS low for ac in general, but the actual BTU pet watt hour here is low. It will easily run on even a tiny generator, but it will be running at all times in hot weather. Running it on even lithium batteries isn't an option really. More efficient
means less time actually consuming power. (Cycling is very good when on batteries!)
Any small ac can be made to run on DC by simply putting a smallish pure sine inverter in the case with it.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #216

Name: Pat
Trailer: UHaul CT-13 1984
Minnesota
Actually, I am interested in that rooftop AC unit for my UHaul. Mikmay: do you know if Dometic will market the Freshjet series in the US?
Old 04-23-2016, 11:54 PM   #217
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv4toys View Post
Actually, I am interested in that rooftop AC unit for my UHaul. Mikmay: do you know if Dometic will market the Freshjet series in the US?
Yes Pat in our conversation with the dometic rep one of the points was the unit could be used on a lot of our smaller trailers as well as other smaller stick built trailers and is not exclusive to the hc1 and would be beneficial to us if there others ordering it.

So far the testing we have done with the unit has been very good although it has been limited due to the fact we have only been able to run it off the dc power. We are still waiting for the ac converter. As I have said before the dc power use side of it is not the biggest benefit on its use as a lot of that will depend on your battery storage and charging capacity but the fact it is much lighter and can run the fan and built in lights off the dc power .
Old 04-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #218

Name: Pat
Trailer: UHaul CT-13 1984
Minnesota
Mike:

Thanks for your reply. The tests sounds encouraging. Report back when you test the AC using AC.

We don't camp in the summer due to the hot weather, so a small light-weight rooftop AC unit would be prefect for us. I also like the fact you can use the fan only on DC.

Keep us posted.

Thanks
Pat
Old 04-24-2016, 03:38 PM   #219

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv4toys View Post
We don't camp in the summer due to the hot weather...
Pat
That tickles my funny bone! I only have time to camp in the summer, and sometimes I come to your state of MN for my summer camping! Compared to OK, MN feels cool.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #220

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Didn't realize when I posted the Trailer Life article (with a nice HC writeup) a few days ago that this thread existed. Love the innovative modular approach of Happier Camper (and would love to see a 17- or 19-foot onewe want a bathroom!). The '50s look reminds me of the Nash Metropolitan:

Though the HC1 is better looking than that!

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"

Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass

Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern WHRB-FM, 95.3 FM, Cambridge, MA Streaming at WHRB.org
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:18 AM   #221
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Didn't realize when I posted the Trailer Life article (with a nice HC writeup) a few days ago that this thread existed. Love the innovative modular approach of Happier Camper (and would love to see a 17- or 19-foot one—we want a bathroom!). The '50s look reminds me of the Nash Metropolitan:

Though the HC1 is better looking than that!

/Mr Lynn
Thanks Lynn for your positive comments and yes our future plans do include a larger unit. We will also be designing a modular bath for the larger unit. I have the 1st prototype unit in southern ont and will be hopping to attend as many eastern and Midwest

rally's as possible this year. I will post when and where it will be.

The color on the Nash would look sweet on a hc1
Old 04-29-2016, 10:15 PM   #222

Name: September
Trailer: Shopping
North Carolina
Larger HC-1 with bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Thanks Lynn for your positive comments and yes our future plans do include a larger unit. We will also be designing a modular bath for the larger unit. I have the 1st prototype unit in southern ont and will be hopping to attend as many eastern and Midwest

rally's as possible this year. I will post when and where it will be.

The color on the Nash would look sweet on a hc1
I love the HC-1 concept, but the family doesn't see our vision. 😀 I think they would warm up to a slightly larger model. I'm not sure how far along you are with your larger camper concept, but the earthcruiser has a cool bathroom/mud room design that you may find interesting:
EarthCruiser FX 4x4 expedition vehicle rolls far off the beaten track
Old 04-30-2016, 02:24 AM   #223

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Happiest workers in a camper...

There is actually a market you are missing out on as far as commercial potential goes. A lot of office type work needs to be done remotely. Sometimes it is sales reps, other times designers and engineers who are out at sites with limited facilities and are not close to motels. More people are also working remotely while traveling and many times it is a single individual rather than a couple or family.

What they need is a single bed space that could have a reclining back option for relax time. Generous as possible desk space with knee and foot space, a wall hung monitor/TV option. A bit of office supply storage for paper, envelopes,stapler, stamps. A place for a wifi amplifier antenna to go through a roof fitting.

Most dinette table options of sitting on the dinette bed cushions are very uncomfortable for working at for even a short time. My traveling desk chair is a cushioned drummers throne with a back rest. It comes apart into small sections and the legs folds up for storage in a cabinet. It is height adjustable and the back rest is also adjustable. Being three legged it can also go outside on uneven ground. I was able to set it up so the seat swivels to make it easy to get in and out of in a small space. Rugged and comfortable too, they are specifically designed for traveling and would certainly be a great option to suggest for a roving office edition.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:26 AM   #224
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
There is actually a market you are missing out on as far as commercial potential goes. A lot of office type work needs to be done remotely. Sometimes it is sales reps, other times designers and engineers who are out at sites with limited facilities and are not close to motels. More people are also working remotely while traveling and many times it is a single individual rather than a couple or family.

What they need is a single bed space that could have a reclining back option for relax time. Generous as possible desk space with knee and foot space, a wall hung monitor/TV option. A bit of office supply storage for paper, envelopes,stapler, stamps. A place for a wifi amplifier antenna to go through a roof fitting.

Most dinette table options of sitting on the dinette bed cushions are very uncomfortable for working at for even a short time. My traveling desk chair is a cushioned drummers throne with a back rest. It comes apart into small sections and the legs folds up for storage in a cabinet. It is height adjustable and the back rest is also adjustable. Being three legged it can also go outside on uneven ground. I was able to set it up so the seat swivels to make it easy to get in and out of in a small space. Rugged and comfortable too, they are specifically designed for traveling and would certainly be a great option to suggest for a roving office edition.
Yes kc about 30% of our sales and orders are for commercial units,you can take it to work during the week then go camping on the weekend and come tax time guess what else you can do.