Introducing the Happier Camper HC1, prototype photos - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #29

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
I have to agree with Bob. It seems like almost every time we go out, we use our propane heater (mostly camping in the mountains). I do however really like the rear hatch. Great idea.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #30

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I think that no-propane is a death march.
Not necessarily, and ironically, for the reasons you stated. This should appeal to a wide variety of people, but perhaps not the regular camping crowd.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
A couple of comments:

As the American Auto manufacturers learned the hard way, trying to design something that suits everyone's possible needs can wind up suiting no one. I'd opt for a simpler approach and, FWIW, maybe except for short term weekenders/rental users, I think that no-propane is a death march.

Now that it's been on the road, are there any weight numbers yet?
Bob thanks for your encouraging response ,as the owner of five different fg trailers some all with different options I have found many of them rarely used for my type of camping . I do respect the way others camp and know our trailer is a radicle departure from the standard formula. As the American horse and buggy manufactures found out when the automobile was invented they too thought it was a radicle idea and would not succeed. As to the death march in our first weekend of launching the trailer me have secured over 3000 people on our mailing list. I think our biggest problem will be on how to meet demand .
Old 02-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #32

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
A couple of comments:
...FWIW, maybe except for short term weekenders/rental users, I think that no-propane is a death march.
Tell that to Snoozy, Parkliner, and Eggcamper... more all-electric trailers.

Personally, I would want LP installed if I had a hot water heater and/or furnace; but if neither of those were in the trailer, it wouldn't matter. For cooking, a small bottle attached to a camp stove is good enough.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:46 PM   #33

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B17
Washington
Registry
Thanks for more pictures! I think the add on tent room is an excellent feature. I know if I had a little trailer like this I'd want something like that to expand living space.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #34

Name: Steph
Trailer: Perris Pacer 13'
California
Registry
Oh, I really like this! I wonder how much it weighs and will $$ cost???
Old 02-28-2015, 09:28 PM   #35

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Well, I think that we are pretty average campers and, on our 5 day trip just this last week, in the beautiful and warm California sun, we ran the refrigerator on LP for about 132 continuous hours, cooked breakfast and dinner 4 times, boiled uncountable pots of water for mocha, cycled the water heater 1 or 2 times a day for wash up, and switched the furnace on in the morning for a few minutes of de-chilling twice, and all that while using less than a 1/4 tank of lp and a minute amount of battery power, and never needed, much less had, any power hook-ups. Adding to that, neither did any of the 4 campgrounds we stayed at (2 California State Beaches, 1 National Forest and 1 Regional Park) have power hook-ups available.

And this is in a fairly basic 13' Hunter Compact-II.

And while my current fleet of RV's is down to just the Hunter, I would have deemed any of the 7 or more molded fiberglass RV's I have owned in years past as useless without LP service.

While one of the smaller FGRV makers resorted to using scare tactics to discourage use of LP as an on-board energy source, and others are trying to not offer it, I have yet to see such a movement in the greater world of RV builders.

But without cost, weight and delivery facts & figures, all we can do is wait and see who the real buyers will be, and how it works for them.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:43 PM   #36

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Wow. That's a sweet unit. If you can keep the price competitive I think you've got a winner.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:25 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Name: Derek
Trailer: Boler
California
Hey Campers! thanks for all the great words and input, much appreciated.

We put a lot of thought into this trailer and feel we made good decisions for our key customers. We have been renting our vintage trailers for several years to 100s of happy customers. We're building the HC1 not only to sell to new customers but to fill out and expand our rentals.

Our goal is to share our common love of the little egg trailers with every family, old and young. Big heart, little trailer.

As for no standard propane on the trailers. We found that the use of large propane tanks in the small trailers can be very dangerous if not used properly. There have been several occasions that our inexperienced customers have left the stove top, heater, or gas tanks on, essentially making a time-bomb. Propane can be heavy, costly, and a potential hazard. There are lots of cases of burns from heaters or blankets catching on fire in the small space and we feel our customers can enjoy the outdoors in comfort with alternatives.

That said, there are plenty of portable propane and electric options on the market for heating and cooking that we will offer. Our rigid, dual walled interior and exterior shells have insulation ran between the the parts, and will keep the temperature warm or cool.If large propane tanks are a must, we will offer a easy guide for customers wanting to easily hook up that option at little cost.

We feel our trailers are good for everybody, but designed them for weekend getaways with family and friends in mind. There are plenty of manufactures out there building great trailers for the long term, live in traveler, visiting grand kids coast to coast, or living there winters on mountain tops.

We will be starting production units in about a month and are taking pre-orders requests now on our website www.happiercamper.com. The dry weight of the trailer is currently around the 1100Lbs. We will update you shortly with the full spec on the production units.

We plan to price the HC1 very competitively with other like trailers on the market, and feel the robust 100% fiberglass design, larger modular space and unique features like the rear hatch, king size bed, wide port door and honeycomb fiberglass 1.5" thick floor will give us great standing among the other great egg trailers we all love dearly.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:17 AM   #38

Name: carleen
Trailer: On epic search for Eriba
Texas
Stop motion video of different configurations on website

For the person suggesting an ice chest and others wanting to see more of the inside, follow happiercamper.com and there's a cool gif that shows many configurations of the interior.

So cool!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:26 AM   #39

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
yes, a cool video presentation
Old 03-01-2015, 09:58 AM   #40

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Bob thanks for your encouraging response ,as the owner of five different fg trailers some all with different options I have found many of them rarely used for my type of camping . I do respect the way others camp and know our trailer is a radicle departure from the standard formula. As the American horse and buggy manufactures found out when the automobile was invented they too thought it was a radicle idea and would not succeed. As to the death march in our first weekend of launching the trailer me have secured over 3000 people on our mailing list. I think our biggest problem will be on how to meet demand .
I removed my furnace, but I do use my propane for my stove. I tried electric and was not happy with the time it took to just to heat a pan of water. It might just be a possible option for people to add propane. The difficult part would be how people can 'rearrange' the cubes if one is a propane stove/heater that needs propane hookup. I think that a quick disconnect option could be a liability nightmare...
For sure, you can't meet everyones' needs or wants. Speaking of wants, it might be nice to have a nice 'tan' color option for that gelcoat. I'd prefer something that is not so stark white.... And I'm not a fan of blue.... (LOL)
I'm continuing to enjoy watching your progress! Seems like these little eggs do best when they meet the needs of the right niche market. Thanks for sharing your progress with us
Old 03-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #41

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I agree that being extra cautious for the rental market and, as you call them, "Inexperienced customers" is prudent from that point of view.

Again, actual "Real World" weights, selling prices and delivery dates will be telling.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #42

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Electric versus Propane.

Many if not most people with all electric trailers seem to add propane, at least in some measure. Certainly electric is not adequate for air conditioners, microwaves, cooking or heating unless you are in serviced sites.. As time progresses it seems some of these may become possibilities but were a long distance from an all electric trailer for many campers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote