Introducing the Happier Camper HC1, prototype photos - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #43

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I see this as a competitor to the Cricket Trailer Cricket TrailerCricket Trailer. I had one for a while. I found it fine to use a lp stove or a butane stove. The little butane stove was fine for a kettle inside the trailer. Usually you are cooking outside anyways, so a coleman stove is probably the way to go with a rig like this.

For heat, a Heater Buddy with the small LP bottle works just fine, is safe, and you have the flexibility to use it other places (like the garage on a cold day).

With a trailer like this, I found the biggest issue here in the South, is no air conditioning. If you camp in the summer in high humidity, it's just miserable not to have it. I think this trailer should have a way to install a 5000 btu Frigidaire window unit AC in it. Maybe a removable panel with a reinforced opening in the lower shell to setup such a unit on those trips you can to take it.

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #44
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
I see this as a competitor to the Cricket Trailer Cricket TrailerCricket Trailer. I had one for a while. I found it fine to use a lp stove or a butane stove. The little butane stove was fine for a kettle inside the trailer. Usually you are cooking outside anyways, so a coleman stove is probably the way to go with a rig like this.

For heat, a Heater Buddy with the small LP bottle works just fine, is safe, and you have the flexibility to use it other places (like the garage on a cold day).

With a trailer like this, I found the biggest issue here in the South, is no air conditioning. If you camp in the summer in high humidity, it's just miserable not to have it. I think this trailer should have a way to install a 5000 btu Frigidaire window unit AC in it. Maybe a removable panel with a reinforced opening in the lower shell to setup such a unit on those trips you can to take it.
Ron our trailer is designed to Cary a rooftop air conditioner and will be an option and we also believe there are many options for heat other than a fixed unit

Old 03-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #45

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Ron our trailer is designed to Cary a rooftop air conditioner and will be an option and we also believe there are many options for heat other than a fixed unit

This comes to mind....
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2015, 12:28 PM   #46

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Someone asked for a photo of a person standing next to it for scale. There is now a photo of that up in their modernism week post.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #47

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Tell that to Snoozy, Parkliner, and Eggcamper... more all-electric trailers.
Mike, our ParkLiner has dual propane tanks that fuel the frig, hot water, and furnace. I believe most, if not all, ParkLiners have one or two propane tanks. We use ours.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
2001 F-150 XLT 4wd Super Cab 4.6L
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #48

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
I'd have to agree that not having propane is a problem that is going to restrict the sales of this trailer to a more limited clientele. All the sales talk in the world isn't going to erase the fact that propane has much more energy in it per pound than a lead-acid battery. Is it really that difficult to get certification for installing gas systems in RV's?

And it seems like most of the new manufacturers that pop up here (Nest, happier, Dub box, etc.) are aiming their trailers at a younger demographic, one that barely exists. The problem with that approach is that RV's are traditionally bought by people who are more settled in their careers, with a bit more free income than the average 20 or 30 something. In my state of Colorado, the younger outdoors folks are a population that backpacks and tent camps. They are also a group that's much more likely to live in an apartment, which makes storage more of a problem.

I think it's great that there are talented people wanting to enter the fiberglass trailer market. Historically, this has been an endeavor that attracts optimists with lots of ideas. And the great sales pitches we get here are interesting. They seem to have an answer for every question.

But the crunch is going to come when there's new units being produced and somebody has to market them. Good marketing can sell products with uninspired designs. Styling will seldom make up for a lack of marketing. The new designers seem to all start with a clean sheet. If I was entering the business, I would want to start by analyzing the competition and try to figure out the appeal of the leading brands like Casita or Scamp. Then spend time trying to make something that offers more for less. Instead, there seems to be a conscious effort to see how many features can be eliminated--gas stoves, toilet systems, refrigerators, etc. Good luck to everybody, but I think there's soon going to be a few new names on the long list of defunct manufacturers on the FiberglassRV home page.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:03 PM   #49
Commercial Member

Ontario
Once again I would like to thank the(senior members ) for there positive comments. I too being a senior member was also skeptable on the design of this trailer build.i know the design of this trailer is a little radicle for most (senior members) to understand. I too had my doubts it would be embraced right up until the day before the modernism trailer show in Palm Springs.we worked on assembling the trailer right up until a few hours before the show and I still was not sure on how the trailer would work or look . When it all came together I must say I was impressed but not sure how it would play to the general public and to the other50 + trailer owners some with$100.000 dollar rigs. On the 2 days of the show we had many hundreds of people go through the trailer which you can actually do since we have a front and back door. The response was overwhelmingly positive with not one negative comment by young and old. I know this trailer is a radicle departure from your standard formula and not everyone will get it and we know if we tried to build a trailer to the same formula as the other trailer manufactures that have built a very good trailer for many years we could not compete. I also know that many senior members on this forum and other trailer forums have the means to buy the style and size of trailer with all the options they would like to use or not and tow with any vehicle they please. Our vision is to attract the others with out those options ,to attract those young and old to a fg trailer with a fresh and different feel to the standard formula. Our trailer will be easy to tow,simple to use and comfortable to sleep in for a family of four without having to use a bunk, which I believe was the original vision of Roy Orleko (except the comfortable bed) the builder of the boler and the precursor to all the trailers on this forum. I also hope the members here realize this is a13 foot trailer with limited space and not the 15/17/21 foot some are trying to compare . That will hopefully come in the near future.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:04 AM   #50

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
Iowa
The market you are aiming for is mostly not on this forum which I know you realize. I see people who would never think of camping with a tent deciding they want your trailer. I also see some of those with a tent making a step up in the way that people graduate to pop-ups and hybrids and then go on to the bigger and better with all of the amenities. It is good that you know you are not competing with Scamp and Casita or for dollars from most seniors.

I hope you can figure out where you need to fit price-wise to be a success. Sounds as if you know what you are doing. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2015, 04:05 AM   #51

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Mike, just my two cents for you. I like the overall design and cube idea of your trailer and I'm in the 60+ age group. I like the idea of changing the interior to what you may be wanting to use the trailer for on any given trip.
I think you've hit on a bit of a twist to the molded trailer world that will work for many. Wish I would have heard of the show in PS, I'm only an hour away.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #52

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mike,

I like your trailer because you have chosen a different path.

Most of the fiberglass trailers are based upon the same basic design, some higher quality and more expensive, most without a lot of creativity.

Wishing you success.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #53

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Mike,

I hope you much success. Think you have a great idea here.

But essentially it will come down to price. Trailer buyers are notoriously price sensitive. Not all retirees are loaded and not all youngsters are broke either. I see this appealing to a broad spectrum, but people look for value. You certainly have it here at the right price, plus innovation and design appeal.

At $20k or under, I think you'll be a wild success. More than $20k I think is a tough sell. Look at the Nest project. They are thinking $40k. That will be an uphill climb, to put it nicely. The RV market is hot though, so if you are going to jump in, now is certainly the time.

FWIW, show enthusiasm is great, but doesn't really guarantee anything. Keystone Vantage was a hit at the 2012 RVIA national show in Louisville, being named trailer of the year. One year later it was put out of production and the plant shuttered. There just was no big market for a $40k trailer - even full sized and full featured. Airstream has that price stratum and above pretty much locked up. I picked up a Vantage 19UL for $15k on sale and enjoyed it for a while. Glad I never paid the $30k+ list price.

Good luck!
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #54

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Ya, But.... Being "Different" often results in more SNL entertainment for the masses than in sales results.
Wait... What happened to Edsel, AMC Pacer and the Pontiac Aztec, just to name a few? LOLOLOL
Old 03-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #55

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Ya, But.... Being "Different" often results in more SNL entertainment for the masses than in sales results.
Wait... What happened to Edsel, AMC Pacer and the Pontiac Aztec, just to name a few? LOLOLOL
Of course different alone is not enough but ask Volkswagen, or Apple, or

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #56
Commercial Member

Ontario
Ron thank for a real positive response . I agree greatly with you .While it is very difficult to release a firm price on the HCI our goal was to keep this trailer affordable but I can tell you that 20.000 would be at the high end of a completely optioned trailer. One of the reasons for a modular system is so that a person with limited means could by a base model unit and add the options they need later . You could essentially buy this trailer and use a air mattress if you wished, no paying for what you don't need or will use.