Introducing the Happier Camper HC1, prototype photos - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #71

Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Registry
Kudo's to you, HC, for thinking outside the box. I love the idea of an extra foot of bed because of wheel well flares, and the idea of using my own (bigger) air mattress for a bed, and being able to rearrange the furniture to fit. I could see using this camper for day trips, as a base camp for a day's activities, etc. With all the flexibility, you will find your niche in the camper market. As for propane, I'm one who can camp without it being connected to the camper. I could definitely see this being GenX's camper to have.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #72

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I am kinda surprised that fiberglass manufacturing can be done in California these days.

Macgregor moved their boat manufacturing to Florida because California wanted them to install scrubbers. Florida I guess has no limits on VOC's.

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #73
Commercial Member

Name: Derek
Trailer: Boler
California
Thanks guys for all the inspirations and constructive advice. Its much appreciated. We posted on here first as this community knows best about these little trailers and we are here to listen to your advice.

Bob, Your correct it is the Yeti 1250, and not the 1200, my mistake. The yeti is a expensive unit, but we will have a production unit and wholesale pricing and we can pass that on to our customers looking for the upgrade. This unit is a option over and above our standard progressive dynamic, solar, agm system. The Goal zero eco system has plenty of great products that work well with the system.

Glen, The yeti is not a fuel powered generator. The yeti is a 1250 watt solar generator, it can be charged with solar, DC from your car, or a AC plug, it is designed for longevity and works very well, i have been using it in the real word from some time and and LOVE IT. It can power heat, induction stovetops, charge laptops and power lights for days and truly is a alternative to propane. It will pay for it self quickly as there is no need to refill tanks. (again we will have propane options for thoes that feel they need it). This option is Clean energy, very safe, does not smell, no toxic fumes, quiet with no sound, portable, can be used indoors and outside the trailer and fits perfectly into our modular platform.

Hazel, thanks for your great advice, We have a modular component that is a toilet. Currently we are using a "dry flush" toilet, and it works great, but i feel its alittle too big in a small trailer, We are also testing a couple of port a potties that fit well. Here is the toilet option in our prototype.

And here is a photo of my brother Bryce using the toilet durring out recent photo shoot., he is probably going to kill me for positing this, but its just too funny not too

We love you Bryce! thanks for taking one for the team!

We are producing this trailer in sunny southern California. You would be surprised how many manufactures and vendors are down here, we are literally a block away from Hehr windows! The trailer will be 100% AMERICAN MADE, and 100% CANADIAN INSPIRED (thanks again Ray!) and thanks to all the community here for your great advice and support.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #74

Name: Stephanie and Mark
Trailer: Trillium Sidekick 1500
Washington
I for one am loving the idea of the hatch in the back. Being able to set up the kitchen facing out the back is just like my teardrop! Granted my teardrop trailer is a tiny 6.5'x4' so eventually moving up to a 13' egg with a hatch would be the best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned.

The flexibility of the modules is another huge plus. My hubby and I are in our early 50's and we are new grandparents. we are looking at just down the road when the grandkid(s) get to go on the road with us.

Thanks for working at keeping the price down! I just hope the wait won't be too long once you start getting into production.

Stephanie
Old 03-02-2015, 10:33 PM   #75

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
You're a dead man when Bryce catches up to you.

It's interesting. I think of the Scamp 13: the price of a basic one with no options (but still dressed with cabinets, cushions, table, etc.) is pretty low, probably lower than you can go on an empty shell due to all your R&D, mold development, and labor costs. And yet your trailer attracts me more than a Scamp because it's different, it's flexible, it's just enough wider to matter, and it's got that kick-@88 rear door (is it ok to say "@88" on here? or should I say kick-burro? LOL). The Scamp is, well, stodgy... stuck in 1960s design, and no real flexibility offered, either.

I hope you'll explain your 'honeycomb' floor better. Is the entire resin floor sort of porous (like river rock), or is it just a small section at one end? If water can get out, can water, dust, or bugs get in? If not, why not? I can't visualize how this is set up and I am curious.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:13 AM   #76

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Hey, that's my video you linked!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:29 AM   #77
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Thanks mike and thanks for getting that our trailer is a more complex build for a 13 foot trailer than any other fg rv.the HCI has over 20 separate molds and we still have more to make.Some here would like to think we are trying to compete with scamp,casita,and other simular trailers which are well built and long lasting some with much the same basic design for over 40 years. Our real target will be the TAB and simular trailer which is much heavier ,costlier and not as long lasting as the HCI will be ,and also outsells our fgrvs tenfold. Mike our floor is 100% fiberglas end to end it is 1 inch thick corigated with 3/4 20 inch square blocks fused on top, it is half the weight and twice the strength as ply wood or most other materials. There will be one drain which can be closed or plugged and there will be no point of entry for dust or anything else. As for that photo of Bryce I can assure you it won't make it to our homepage.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #78

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Could everyone please keep the tone of this thread positive. Let's all work together to make lend helpful ideas to the builders of this trailer, and realize that not every desire of every member could possibly be built into this small trailer, nor will it be for everyone.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #79

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Mikmay, where did you get the statistics that the T@B is outselling our FG trailers "tenfold". ???
Old 03-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #80

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
"Some here would like to think we are trying to compete with scamp,casita,and other simular trailers which are well built and long lasting some with much the same basic design for over 40 years."...

Actually, I believe that we all thought that was the case.

"Our real target will be the TAB and simular trailer"

Does that mean that you are also planning on a dealership distribution system, if so I can recommend a very interested & successful dealership, just down the road a few miles from your mfg. location.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #81
Commercial Member

Name: Derek
Trailer: Boler
California
Ron, great video! and i do love the dry flush!

Bob and Darral, About the T@B, im not sure what sales are on other products, but at the RIVA show this year a sales manager for them told me they have sold more then 2000 of there trailers. I know i have seem them little hams popping up all over. There a nice little trailer, not for me as im a FG guy, but they look good and are made well.

Were not competing with anyone, i think the uniqueness of our products features separates that.
We are not set on any sales or distribution system yet, we plan to make these one at a time, and customized for each customers needs for now. Mike has some great knowlage on the structure of the trailer, but not on its sales, or marketing approach.

As Mike said the floor is 100% and to end 1.5" thick honeycomb fiberglass. there is a 3/4" base, with a raised panel system to make up the "lego like" interlocking system to which the modular components lock into.
Honeycomb fiberglass is a layer of thick fiberglass, with a cardboard like honeycomb shaped panel sandwiched between, then another layer of fiberglass then finally a thick impenetrable gel coat on top. Its makes for a glossy smooth floor that is 1/2 or more the weight of wood, is incredibly strong, water proof and easy to clean. The floor combined with our strong tubed frame, and closer cross beams makes for a super solid foundation to haul you or your toys.

Here is a photo of our floor in our prototype mold. This photo does not show the interior componants or the side walls. Just the floor, and the internal wheel fenders.

The circles in the floor are where the embedded basses of the table legs can be fixated (the table leg you see is a TDI "sequoia" base system, we have since changed this to a much better "red wood" system that fits our needs much better, both allow table beases without drilling into the floor) the other indentations are for inset D-ring mounts that will hold the shell to the frame and will also serve as tie-down points. The inset at the very front will be used as a drain. The grid system on the floor makes cleanup a breeze, and with the modular flooring panels, its really easy to set things up the way you like and need. the Walkable floor space is 60" x 100" or 500sf when empty. The fiberglass wall side benches (not shown in this photo) that go around the perimeter of the trailer provide a ton of storage space and are just large enough to sit on as a small bench, the front is rounded out for even more sitting, allowing you to use the outside areas without the modular components. Hope this helps on the floor questions! i realize its unique and servers a different purpose, but feel ones you see and use the system for yourself you will instantly get its flexibility and function! thanks again guys.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #82

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I have always been impressed with the workmanship of the trailers your family refurbishes. Design and the fit and finish of design implementation have always looked really good to me. At least on the ones you guys bring to the Algonac rally.

In a way you have something of the open floor plan of the Escape (at least I think it was the Escape I'm remembering) where "furniture" provides the one thing there is never enough of - storage and the basic cushioned space can be a bed, tables, couches, or chairs depending on how you break it up. In your design you have enhanced that flexibility by making the furniture modules moveable (or removable).

While I still consider myself something of a boondock camper where a real vacation involves several days in a location remote enough I don't see people that did not come with me :-) I also recognize as time goes by we do tend to do more weekend camping at locations were we use camper as a base camp for day trips, or someplace 30 minutes from home to get away for a couple of days. Both of these uses tend to be locations with electric and shower. Intentionally!

The same usage profile would hold true for overnight travel camping while on the road when we visit friends and family. This camper looks like it would easily meet all those needs. Provided Cheryl could be kept warm enough or take the chill off. That means a heat source that is easy to operate and "seems safe" to her. Double wall should help reduce the BTU output required.

In thinking back a lot of my camping time in the past was spent at the beach, on the lake or just doing "stuff" with the kids, tent was where you slept, rain fly was where you cooked. Still camp that way for the most part. After kids grew older I got more time sitting outside in a lawn chair reading, to the beach for a quick dip, going for walks or short hikes. Naps! Naps were always nice. All of these activities seem like they would fit into the design you have come up with. And it is "cute" which can not be discounted when selling to a couple! Or at least this couple.

I like the idea of a basic "package" as long as it is not so spartan that owners will find it inconvenient to use. The option to add features later for minimal cost will be attractive also. I think many couples will like the idea of ready to go set up sleeping "tent" and plenty of space to stow the gear, especially if they have young kids. Heck that is why we have the Scamp and I would not describe myself as young while I might say good looking, charming, and credit to our species I'm pretty sure I would not use young to describe myself! :-p

Not convinced about the Yeti "generator" it has some appeal, I think many people might find it sufficient power for charging cameras, phones, laptops, playing music, and lights. Me I would rather have a nice big set of dual batteries but can see the portable aspect as having some appeal. Just not sure the cost difference between built in system and Yeti work out in favor of the Yeti. Battery capacity becomes even more critical without propane and everything the Yeti can use as a charge source is common to most campers. Shore, Tow, and Solar (optionally) are certainly available to charge the tongue mounted batteries on most campers.

Does the HC1 totally rock out over a pop up? Are you kidding heck yes! Does the idea of a small FGRV that can act as a day tripper, toy hauler, or camper seem like it might have a niche to fill? I'm thinking yes. How big of a niche is the only question.

If I might offer one piece of advice designate someone (or better yet two people) to manage all incoming issues, questions, or requests and insure that each and every one is promptly responded to and followed up on. People expect an email to get a prompt response, they get upset if told someone will call them back and it does not happen. Been an ongoing complaint for multiple existing FGRV manufacturers old and new.

Great idea or design is one thing, great execution is another skill set, as is marketing and customer relations.

Long post I must now go find some sand and stiff grass to scrub the image of Bryce "taking one for the team" out of my brain like my brain was a mess kit with burned on food. Scrub Roger, Scrub! (wish I had a wire brush)
Old 03-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #83

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Long post I must now go find some sand and stiff grass to scrub the image of Bryce "taking one for the team" out of my brain like my brain was a mess kit with burned on food. Scrub Roger, Scrub! (wish I had a wire brush)
*passes Roger a bottle of brain bleach*
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:37 PM   #84

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That toilet video is cool, reminds me of my cat litter Genie I have at home, effective yes. Kudos for finding it, eliminates the need for winterizing.