Repose Fire Logs; the firewood alternative - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #29

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
We don't have a pellet stove, Darwin...we heat with an old fashioned wood stove stoked with windfallen trees from our own property.

It takes long enough to cut-and-split that wood without trying to reduce it to "pellet size" to boot!

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #30

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I received my box of, shall we say, log substitutes. My impressions:
1. I thought the SS wire mesh would be heavier gauge, but for my usage it still should last for several years.
2. It took me a bit to figure out which end opens up, and I was concerned about an apparent dent near one end (thought UPS damaged it). Then I realized that the 'dent' was a purpose-made crimp to hold the door shut. Maybe they should put a little tag on that door for dummies like me, with a message: "open here".
3. The fire starters had rattled around in transit and small bits had broken off, so when I pulled the logs out of the box, the bits fell onto the floor. Some plastic wrap or a bit of newspaper wrapping might keep the starters more intact.
4. The whole thing makes me want to go build a campfire immediately! Unfortunately it's too dry here and we are under a burn ban. Must be patient....

All in all, the only things I would change are minor refinements to packaging. Looks like a good product.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #31

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Hmm, just thinking those might be an option for my Mom for her woodstove in the basement. Except she can't handle a bag of pellets. I guess she could fill the logs from the bag in the car. Not sure I think they'd be so good camping- I don't want to carry around a big bag of wood pellets.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #32

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Bobbie: I tested one large size today in our basement pot belly stove and it worked really well. Burned for over an hour and the ashes fell out of the device with a slight tap.

I am really pleased with this product.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Name: brian
Trailer: "Currently Shopping
Maine
Hello Bobbie I don't reccomend the pellet logs for a woodstove because the fact you have to pull them out to be refilled and may still contain hot coals that could spill out. I do make open face logs that can be refilled while still in the stove using a shovel or something similar .
Old 02-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #34

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
To: naturaledge
Every time you place material in a fired up fire place or wood stove you have the possibility of embers getting out of the device that would ignite some flammable item outside the unit.

The concerns posted about the Repose pellet device are valid should you be a person that does not pay attention to safety issues concerning fireplaces and/or wood burning stoves. Should you be a person that would not check for embers before removing the Repose unit then you more than likely should not use a fireplace and/or wood burning stove in the first place.

I have used the Repose large unit in our basement potbellied stove and found that it completely burned all the pellets and no ashes were left in the device. I let the Repose unit completely burn out and the stove was cold and I as a safety precaution I taped the repose unit against the inside of the stove before I removed it

The Repose unit was completely empty and in like new shape.

Should you want me to test your unit that you state is safer than the Repose unit for wood stoves, please let me know.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Maine
The Repose web site is having a problem with the Paypal button working and I hope to get it working soon . Thank you . Brian
Old 02-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Maine
Hello Mike Glad you received your log set , I am sorry the fire staters were a lttle broken up . That is a good idea wrapping the in a small piece of news paper i like that better than plastic. Brian
Old 02-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Maine
Repose Fire Logs PayPal button is working again . Thank you . Brian
Old 02-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #38

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Registry
Impressive customer service

I tried to place an order for a set of Repose Fire Logs this past Sunday when they were experiencing website problems. When their PayPal link wouldn't work, I emailed Brian and asked how to proceed. He responded within a couple of hours that he would ship my order in the morning and email me when PayPal was working again. I received email about 4:30 PM on Monday that my order was shipped and the PayPal link was working again. I sent the payment that evening and the Fire Log set was in my mailbox when I picked up my mail this afternoon.

The logs arrived in perfect shape and I'm looking forward to trying them out when it gets warm enough and calm enough to light a fire. Something about kicking back and roasting marshmallows in -25 degree wind chill is strangely unappealing. I must be getting old.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #39

Washington
Registry
I noticed the Repose site doesn't mention wood stoves anymore- I've seen other fire baskets for wood stoves but much more expensive. For those trying the open log baskets- did they work in a wood stove?

And how clean is the burn? I don't want to use firewood because it aggravates my asthma to have a wood-burning stove as source of heat.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:54 AM   #40
Commercial Member

Maine
Repose in a wood stove

Hello Bobbie thank you for the question . The open face logs work great in a wood stove since they are not removed for filling. They still create some smoke and the pellets have some dust in the bag that may bother your asthma. I hope this helps answer your question . Thank you . Brian, Repose fire logs LLC
Old 12-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #41

Washington
Registry
Thanks, Brian.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #42

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When burning these logs in the open do they produce more or less smoke than the store bought Duraflame packaged logs you get in the store? I have switched to Duraflame logs in our outdoor fires due to smoke sensitivity by family members. Duraflame logs produce much less smoke than natural logs but are expensive. This may be a much cheaper option.