1986 toyota sunrader rv rare 17' gas 4x4 turbo efi 5 spd ac 22r-tec - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #1

Name: O
Trailer: Toyota Sunrader
Nevada
1986 toyota sunrader rv rare 17' gas 4x4 turbo efi 5 spd ac 22r-tec

Please make your highest and best OFFER, thank you.

1986 Toyota Sunrader 17' RV 4x4 turbo gas fuel injection system
Original actual miles: 80,953
Vehicle ID Number: JT4RN63B0G0021482
Plate Number: 5JBU198
It is approximately 17' from front bumper until the end of the RV body or 18' with the classic box in the rear;
My RV master suggested that you can remove the classic box for safekeeping and the present extended tow hitch w/ 2" ball and replace it with a tow package installed right underneath the bumper, flush with the end of the bumper not extending outside of it. Then it is a 17' RV for easier city parking. He also said that he could easily custom make a very strong tow package w/ a 2" ball receiver that can be removable or instead I can insert into the tow package a 2' x 7' aluminum platform to carry a moped/bicycle/luggage/generator, etc.
This versatile, creative improvisation gives me the option to travel as a most compact 17' RV or the luxury of carrying extra above items.
He also suggested that he could mount a winch on the front bumper for me, install cruise control so that I can drive 55 mph steadily to get the best mpg.
5 speed manual transmission
22 R-TEC engine 2.4 liter 4 cylinder
It starts, runs & drives great, it purrs like a kitten
Just passed smog w/ certificate on Monday, 12/16/13
Clear California title pink slip
Currently insured for 1 year
No pets, no kids, no smoking inside the RV
6 brand new tires & spare wheel underneath
Automotive repair manual, owner's manual, etc.
Truck has AC and heater, RV has furnace and no roof AC
No cracks on the dashboard
No wear and tear on both seats, original, comes with two sheepskin seat covers not installed
I hired a mobile master mechanic to do all the necessary repairs, new parts replacements, etc.
Deep cycle battery and has a very strong and good truck battery
New pair of rear wheel cylinders & shoes w/ new complete replacement of brake fluid
New oxygen sensor
New catalytic converter
I had all fluids changed w/ new filters
Truck and RV do not leak, no engine or transmission leak
New spark plugs & full tune up
I had the gas tank dropped, opened and fully cleaned out, installed Toyota brand new fuel pump, Toyota brand new fuel sensor & filter w/ new fuel hose
I have been using only quality premium fuel with highest octane in my gas tank
Free extra new outside cover for the refrigerator
All appliances
3 way Dometic refrigerator (electric, gas & 12 volt)
Toyota jack, lug nut opener, etc.
Fire extinguisher
Original classic fiberglass box in the back w/ no leaks in excellent condition
Tow package w/ 2" ball
Ladder in the back & roof rack on top
All wheels have hubcaps
Toilet & shower
Four burner stove, stove top vent & oven
Microwave
Kitchen sink
RV water heater & furnace
Sleeps 4
Seats 4 legally w/ 4 seat belts, 2 in the front driver and passenger seat and 2 in the back at the diner
Table w/ 2 new taller stands, table turns into a bed
This is a very unique, reliable, desirable, admired, respected and internationally sought after Toyota Sunrader RV.
The one and only #1 Toyota Sunrader RV existing in the world. Please do your research. They made four of the turbo 4x4 only. My Toyota RV has the most complete features of all the other 3.
So I heard, Toyota rolled out 4 of 1986 turbo engines, 22R-TEC only. I was told that one was wrecked in Arizona, there is one towards the east which has had its turbo motor removed and a carbureted 22R engine installed and one presently resides in SF, California with a lot of miles on it.
Attached Thumbnails
20131218_154423.jpg   20131218_154511.jpg  

20131218_154013.jpg   20131218_154603.jpg  

20131218_155025.jpg   20131218_153825.jpg  

20131218_155136.jpg   20131218_155306.jpg  

20131218_153653.jpg   20131219_151352.jpg  

Old 01-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Lumpy odometer....
Old 01-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Lumpy odometer....
And the definition is? I'm guessing lumpy means the numbers don't line up and may be rolled back?
Old 01-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Plenty of the old mechanical odometers looked like that. We are spoiled and forgetful nowadays with our neat, tidy little electronic readouts.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollcnv View Post
please make your highest and best offer, thank you.
$5 ?

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Old 01-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #6

Name: Adam
Trailer: 1982 Scamp
North Carolina
Old Toyota trucks like mine. 1985 havre that odometer and it slowly rolls to the next 10 th of a mile. This looks like it won't last long. What a sweet ride.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
I notice you're in Nevada, but vehicle has California plates. Where would one need to go to look at it?
Old 01-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I don't know how I missed this being advertised here.

That Sunrader still has the original 4x4 axle that uses after market dual rear wheels that were recalled on all 1979 and newer Toyota chassied micro motohomes.
The correction was to retrofit a full floating heavy duty rear axle and most have been done by now. Unfortunately the 4x4 has 15" or 16" wheels and the full floating axle has 14" wheels. To use 4wd they all have to match. This issue is the bane of all of those 30 some Sunrader 4x4's that were built. The current "Correct" answer is to have four custom wheeels made to the tune of $400+ each and add to that, another $1200 for the axle change out and you are talking big $$$$.

As is, it is unsafe at any speed. I personally know of two Sunrader 4x4's that suffered axle failures where the axle snapped off at the end. That will ruin an otherwise perfectly good day.

In the Toyhome world I am known as Sunrader Bob, PITA (a Provider of Inconvenient Toyhome Advice) and have owned 6 of them over the past years. PM me if more information is needed.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #9

Name: Jim
Trailer: Sunrader
California
Sunrader still available?

Hi,
Interested in the Sunrader. Is it still available?
I would offer you 21K but would be to open to your counter offer if needed.
Please advise,
Jim Kessler
england.kessler@gmail.com
415-328-5768
Old 05-05-2014, 07:04 AM   #10

Name: Rocky
Trailer: Shopping
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
In the Toyhome world I am known as Sunrader Bob, PITA (a Provider of Inconvenient Toyhome Advice) and have owned 6 of them over the past years. PM me if more information is needed.
I think you're probably the only person who uses that version of that acronym. IMHO, YOMV, TTYL, TTFN
Old 03-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #11

Name: Doug
Pennsylvania
4x4 sunrader

Did you sell you 4x4 sunrader?
Old 03-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #12

Go to the OP in Post #1 for and answer

Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #13

Name: Paul
Trailer: Toyota
Alberta
I have an 1985 Sunrader for sale

Hi Everyone. I found this post and started reading. I had no idea these Toyota Sunraders were so rare. I just picked one up. Haven't even got it home yet. It's still sitting in storage. It's a 1985 Toyota 4x4....non turbo motor. It's in Calgary, Alberta but has a BC registration. It starts on starting fluid but so far diagnostics say the fuel pump is dead. Body wise it's in really good shape. It's leaked down the inside from the side and back windows and needs the interior wall panels replaced. That's one of the first things I'm going to do besides drop the tank and get it running properly. Any interest in it as it sits? I'm open to offers but if it's not high enough, I will be driving all over North America this summer lol.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #14

You might want to post it on
<<Toyota-campers@yahoogroups.com>>
And BTW: are you aware of the rear axle situation, especially the complications that the 4x4 brings to the table.... all bad news and, unless it was properly corrected (Big $$$) I would not set out on a trip all over North America, you could find yourself in Peoria with problems, etc.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #15

Name: Andrew
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCalgary View Post
Hi Everyone. I found this post and started reading. I had no idea these Toyota Sunraders were so rare. I just picked one up. Haven't even got it home yet. It's still sitting in storage. It's a 1985 Toyota 4x4....non turbo motor. It's in Calgary, Alberta but has a BC registration. It starts on starting fluid but so far diagnostics say the fuel pump is dead. Body wise it's in really good shape. It's leaked down the inside from the side and back windows and needs the interior wall panels replaced. That's one of the first things I'm going to do besides drop the tank and get it running properly. Any interest in it as it sits? I'm open to offers but if it's not high enough, I will be driving all over North America this summer lol.
Hey I sent you a private message
Old 07-29-2015, 04:50 PM   #16

Name: Matt
Trailer: I'm market
Oregon
Toyota motorhome

Hi. Would u consider a trade?
Old 07-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #17

Name: Paul
Trailer: Toyota
Alberta
Just for an update due to emails about this Sunrader. I have completely tore out and rebuilt the rear interior, gone through all the appliances and got them working, installed a new toilet, kitchen counter, taps, and a long list of interior items. Fresh paint inside and is ready for camping or living. Mechanically, it just passed an out of province safety inspection meaning it's mechanically fit. Lots of new parts that I've installed. It's now insured, plated and on the road. It was imported into Canada in 1997 and has sat in a storage yard since 1998. It now runs great and has 103,000 miles on it. Lockers were installed in both the front and rear axle by the original owner and 31" tires and 15x10 rims are now on it. Has the original axle under it still but I picked up a disc brake 10 bolt GM code Gt5 G80 (4:10 posi) rear end for it. Has five solar panels on the roof and a new digital charge controller. I have well over 200 hours into rebuilding this thing. It looks amazing inside and out. There's still some small things to finish but all the major work is done except the axle. I also need a set of rear fender skirts for it if anyone knows where to buy them. I just won a contract for a new project going on here in the city and won't have time this year to finish it or even use it. If someone makes me a high enough offer, they can finish the last few little things themselves or just use it as it is. 95% of the work is done. I'm in no hurry to sell it and don't need the space or money, so lowball offers will be ridiculed. I will send a list of all new parts and work done to serious inquiries. I'm going to list it for sale eventually but I'm still torn about it. I love this cool little thing and I get a crowd around it every time I take it out around the city.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #18

Just so you know, new wheel well flares are available from the guy that owns the original molds, about $300 each.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #19

Oregon
I'm very interested. ..

5441 679 5349 txt or call.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:01 PM   #20

Oregon
Toyota motorhome

Is it still available? What you asking? Consider a trade?