Empty fiberglass shell? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #1

Name: karen
Trailer: building my own
Arizona
Empty fiberglass shell?

After some experience with a larger RV, I'm very well aware of what I don't want in a travel trailer, which is just about everything they typically come with. The short n sweet, I like roughing it as far as gadgetry is concerned (e.g. a stove and a pot is fine as far as hot water is concerned), but I don't like uncomfortable furniture and I don't need a dinette.

Having someone else do a total custom build would be way out of my price range. What I've dreamed about doing is starting with a *new* fully finished exterior fiberglass egg and doing an interior build on my own. Does anyone know of a company that sells a really small (like 12-14') new lightweight trailer shell tall enough to stand in (for me, that's about 5'5 interior height) without the interior amenities? I'd consider building my own but i have no experience with anything but traditional small cabin building, which would be much too heavy to tow with a car.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #2

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
You might get in touch with Weiscraft or Pelsue and ask them if they will sell you a bare shell trailer.

Lightweight Trailers - Compact Travel Campers - Weiscraft Trailers

Pelsue

A bare bones Little Joe (Weiscraft) would probably suit your needs.
The Pelsue Fiberlite is an aluminum framed trailer set up for telecom cable splicing.

Both of these companies are located in Colorado, so pickup for you wouldn't be too great a stretch.

Note: Most if not all fiberglass trailers do require some interior framing to support what would otherwise be a very flexible shell. Usually this is accomplished with interior furnishings; shelving, cabinets and such, much of which is also made of fiberglass for the sake of strength and light weight. I think that I would be looking at buying a trailer with at least these basic accouterments, without cutouts, so that you could modify them to suit your particular needs.

Good luck in your search. You can get a better idea of the Little Joe by looking at the pictures in the Gallery. You can also look at the Lite House, the original incarnation of the Little Joe.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #3

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I be leave Scamp will also sell you a empty shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The suggestion to contact Weiscraft is a good one, probably the closest to what you're describing.

Some others:
The Happier Camper HC1 is a brand new offering and can be ordered as an empty shell. Because of its construction, it does not rely on interior components for support.

Chariot Manufacturing makes molded fiberglass cargo trailers that could be custom-built as a camper.

I'm thinking even a company like Scamp might delete most of the appliances and plumbing/electrical stuff if you want. They may insist on including the cabinets because they support the shell. Myself, I think you'd be hard pressed to build anything lighter or more functional than the basic Scamp layout, nor cheaper.

But that raises the question: what is your weight target and budget for this project?
Old 09-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Sometimes you can find a used glass egg with a rough interior for a reasonable price. Just gut the old stuff and start over. I like the idea myself. Thought about the idea many times.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
The trick is to find a fiberglass shell that supports itself, in most cases some of the interior cabinets are required for structure to hold the walls and roof up. That being said the suggestions so far are a good place to start, another one is the lil snoozy since they offer them as cargo trailers also. Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites
Old 09-10-2015, 05:24 AM   #7

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
The LiL Snoozy is totally self supporting and they will sell a bare shell. It is a little larger than the others. It is now made by Lil Snoozy LLC. I was quoted the shell last year at 10 K.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Karen see if this will fill your bill http://trailmitetales.webs.com/apps/...bumid=15765730 questions e mail me fiberglassegg@yahoo.com
Old 09-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #9

Name: karen
Trailer: building my own
Arizona
Thanks everyone. Actually the Little Joe looks good as is, pretty minimal that, I'd just want it without the dinette. I drive a Matrix I'm pretty fond of, the towing capacity is around 1600 pounds. One of these days I might upgrade but the practicality and gas mileage of the Matrix is so awesome for everyday use it's hard to beat. What I'm wanting from the Egg is a really comfortable little self contained "turtle shell" and I'm realizing I'd probably have to give up some heavier appliances in exchange for heavier furnishings. Ok by me.

Herschel, are you selling the TrailMite or just asking if that's what I have in mind?
Old 09-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
would sell it wife wants me to ,
Old 09-11-2015, 07:59 AM   #11

Name: Jim
Trailer: Compact Jr
California
Empty fiberglass shell

I found a stripped fiberglass shell for $300.00, cleaned it out, added new bearing, rims, tires, new hitch and door. Redid the top skirt with shade cloth and am now using it to haul my mountain man encampment stuff around - weatherproof and rodent proof.... i have about $1k in it total and it hauls about 1800# for me. Inside i built a bunk, shelving, etc. and added propane for small stove, sink and holding tank for quick washing.

It can be done but takes scouting time, or lots of friends help.

Good lunch with your project.

jim in ramona CA