For Sale: FS soon-- 2004 Forester, tow-ready in Denver - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #21

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft / ft 04 Subaru Forester XS (extra slow)
If I can't sell my car, perhaps I ought to join ya'll on this tangent.

If you're thinking of importing, can you bring in a car from Europe? Those Euro brands offer a much wider choice of powerplants and options. Somehow that's not sounding like a bargain hunt, however.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMillin View Post

I know the manual transmission limits the market for my car, but it increases its driveability and performance. If anyone is thinking of towing anything with a Forester, you want the 5MT. On paper, that raises the tow rating by 400 lbs, to 2,400 lbs. On the road, the 5-speed makes best use of the engine's 175 hp. and provides just the right degree of engine braking on long descents.

In comparison, I test-drove the 2012 Forester with automatic and found it totally lame. To call it a dog would be a slander on lazy dogs everywhere. Subaru's ancient four-speed automatic got caught between gears, and I could not accelerate up a steep residential road, though I held full throttle for eight seconds. Felt like I was pulling a trailer!

Bottom line is, the Forester XS is a gutsy little tow car that punches above its weight. You can read about my towing experiences in my previous posts here, if you search. My car will find a buyer eventually, but it would be nice to find a buyer here who would make use of my tow prep improvements and mods.

Subaru is one of the few new vehicles made with a manual transmission. A few years back we sold two Toyotas, both with manual transmissions. Folks were looking for them. I think there are so few manual transmissions made that the demand is there. My Nissan Frontier with the automatic is still sitting in my door yard. If it were a manual, I suspect it would have sold by now. Raz
Old 10-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #23

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe Front Bath
Minnesota
Did it sell?

Interested : )
Old 10-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #24

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft / ft 04 Subaru Forester XS (extra slow)
Sorry, I forgot about the ad. It's been sold, for a year.