Lets trade even up your camper, my boat - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
To get and idea of current pricing, and see a wide range of FGRV's for sale, take a look here: Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Connecting with sellers might help you hook a fish in need of a boat!

BTW: My Dads family settled in the Cass area in the early 1800's, and some are still there.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #16

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
If I were you, if you haven't already, consider running an ad on Craiglist in your area. Unless you are absolutely certain that you only want the fiberglass egg type trailer, I would consider any smaller trailer. The fiberglass eggs are very small, small beds and bath area and with my husband being 6'2" our choices if we want to be comfortable at all are limited especially in the older units. Just some things to consider. Also, how much of a fixer-upper would you consider? I check Craiglist in different areas and try to post what I find in the "Referrals". As it comes closer to winter, someone might be more apt to trade if they are wanting to get rid of the trailer before winter. Hope you find a deal!

Old 07-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #17

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: Selling this one
West Virginia
Ok, folks I can take the hint. Seems to me that those who have these eggs are trying to discourage me and looks like that some of you buy more than you use to resell and make money. I got it. You even say they are uncomfortable, too expensive. etc. You can talk about this post at your next egg round up with hot dog in hand. I am not discouraged though, I will find a camper, although it might be a "stick" one as it looks like you all want me to get. See you round the next bend in the road. I wave at ya! You wave back ya hear.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Marilyn,
A use-able fibreglass trailer typically goes for around $5000. I have four. I have paid between $3200 and $1300. They all are more then 35 years old, and required work, and none of them had a bathroom. None of them are for sale. The are parting gifts for my five kids, (I need at least two more).
I think what you are picking up on is that we think that your expectations are a bit unrealistic.
We are usually considered to be a friendly bunch, but we value our eggs. Since I am a bargain hunter, I doubt I would ever buy a trailer from someone on this site.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
...I think what you are picking up on is that we think that your expectations are a bit unrealistic....
I agree. My initial thoughts were that the boat was over-valued and the expected purchase price for the fiberglass eggs was far less than market value.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Old 07-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #20

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Don't be discouraged, Marilyn- there are lots of bargains out there still. You just have to watch the ads etc. and be prepared to act quickly. I for one think you'd do better to sell the boat outright, especially since now is when folks would want to use it. Once you've got cash in hand, all sorts of possibilities open up. Trying to direct-swap a boat for ANY kind of trailer really narrows the field too much, in my opinion.

And if it's a fiberglass trailer you want, don't be discouraged by some of the high prices you see, especially online. DO keep an eye on that still-much-used resource, the classifieds in your local paper. In mine, for example, I saw a pristine Lil' Bigfoot go for $3500.00 last week- and a few months ago there was a FREE Boler!

Good luck to you...

Francesca
Old 07-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #21

Trailer: 2007 Casita
[QUOTE=David Tilston;400798]Marilyn,
I think what you are picking up on is that we think that your expectations are a bit unrealistic.

I agree! And several of us tried to warn her early on!
As well as I think Marilyn expects a transaction to happen ASAP! As most of us know that is not how this journey goes......

Sorry she didn't take the time to actually read this forum and understand that we are dealing with trailers that are not mass produced and for the most part hard to come by! And the member's here did try and help her by providing links of glass trailers for sale! Guess she will have something to talk about at her next camp out, how discouraging we are!
Old 07-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #22

California
Also not mentioned was that NEW list price is currently $2795 w/ the 9 hp motor mount + $395 for the canopy and I guess a bit more for the trolling motor, and it is now USED.

Yep, we can all talk about this one around the old campfire.

And we think our stuff holds it's value.....
Old 07-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Count me out of any planned FGRV campfire convo- I don't think I can muster enough oomph in the "catty comments about the outsider" department.

Guess it's been too long since high school....

Francesca, all grown up now.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #24

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
I agree that selling the boat outright and having cash in hand would probably be a plus. In the 3 or 4 states that I search, I have seen some good deals and they go fast so you need the cash in hand. Most often I see these in more distance areas and not the big cities like you see listed most. They are out there and many more than a lot of people think. I did wonder if the OP had seen a unit and been inside because they are small, much smaller than even the smallest of stickies. The deals our there but you have to shake the bushes to find them and be quick with flashing your cash. The ones I see are not scams either because I always check to see if the ads are running across the country.

The OP would need to decide just how much work he could put in a unit and money. Buying used anything, always have some reserve for the unexpected and let's face it, RV appliances and repairs aren't cheap!

Another possibilities are the lots that buy and trade just about anything of value but again, you'll be getting something that would require work.

Lots of units on the market across the country in all different price ranges.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Count me out of any planned FGRV campfire convo- I don't think I can muster enough oomph in the "catty comments about the outsider" department.

Guess it's been too long since high school....

Francesca, all grown up now.

Francessca, frankly I think everyone has tried to help her. She's the one that got upset cause her "trade" didn't happen in 3 point 3 seconds she gets upset and throws a tantrum! And the "catty" comments came from her, because she didn't get her way! Seriously, who's grown up?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #26

California
She even felt empowered to bad mouth some of us by saying: "it looks like that some of you buy more than you use to resell and make money"

I guess someone that can't find a FGRV for chump change thinks that the rest of us are either horders or scammer/flippers.

As long as I don't value my time at more than $2 an hour I suppose I might be making money on some of the FGRV's I have referbished and resold.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #27

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Let it go folks. We've had it sugar coated and plain spoken and now we're going to have it without further comment. If you wish to participate in the offered transaction, please address your thoughts to the original poster via private message. This thread is closed.

Jack G