For Sale: Scamp Motorhome 1985 $4500 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #15

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
This is really cool. Given how little the Ranger changed over its lifespan, you could probably move the Scamp part onto a last run Ranger.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
For those of you interested in RV history, especially with regard to nomenclature:

This is a perfect example of the design that is the originator of the "letter typing system" of motorhomes. ("Class" A/B/C) And as a "Class C", it's the ONLY letter-designated type whose letter actually stands in for a meaningful word.

"C" stands for "chassis mount", and signifies that the camper was added to a fully functional existing brand chassis from which the whole body except for the cab area had been removed. I think the first ones appeared in the early sixties and were then marketed as "chassis mount campers", for obvious reasons since they were really truckcampers permanently affixed to/replacing a pickup truck bed. All of the early ones were on truck chassis, as this one is. Use of vans came later.

At that time, "motorcoach" was the word used for self-propelled from-the-ground-up units, but somewhere along the line some bright boy hit on the idea that by calling those "Class A's" and originals like the chassis mount "Class C's", a whole new belief system would be created that the "A" is superior to the "C". And he was right.

I love that there are little Chassis Mounts like this one out there, and have always thought it would be great fun to own one!

This post brought to you by Amateur Historian and incurable Blabbermouth Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #17

Name: Richard
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
some quick inside pictures

OK, I was able to get a few quick inside pics today. The unit has still been in storage from the Winter so I went to get it out today. I was more concerned with getting it started than cleaning it up right away. <_< The bad news is after sitting all winter the battery was dead. The good news is it now comes with a new battery. It started easily once it had juice, ran like a champ and I drove it home with no issues. The things you are seeing in the pictures are Bounce dryer sheets and Irish Spring soap bars. I used them to keep the mice out. They worked great! The cushions for the dinette actually match, it is just the lighting that makes them look like they don't. Anyway I'm back on the road tomorrow but should have more time this weekend. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0014.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	61149

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0015.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	61150

Name:	IMAG0017.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	61151

Name:	IMAG0019.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	61152

Name:	IMAG0021.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	61153

Name:	IMAG0024.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	61154

Name:	IMAG0031.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	61155

Name:	IMAG0033.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	61156
Old 06-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #18

Minnesota
mcbrew, no worries! I knew what you were saying and people do mix things up like that all the time.

jwcolby54, I don't think I answered all your questions. I believe the engine is a 2.8 V6. Somebody emailed that to me as a possibility since it was a Ranger option at that time and it rang a bell with me. I'm not positive about the fuel tank size but from what I have put in it a fill ups I would guess it is a 20 gallon tank.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #19

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Someone will no doubt jump all over that one. Great looking little unit.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #20

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Holy Cow!

Floyd I can not believe you are not on your way to this one right now?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #21

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Holy Cow!

Floyd I can not believe you are not on your way to this one right now?
I maybe should be ...I almost bought the in my photos, a few years ago.
Once again the timing just isn't right.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #22

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile A Scamp Class C?

If that don't beat all!

Nice looking rig.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #23
hyr

Name: Hy
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ontario
Hi

I am a junior member and have just started looking for a camper (actually have been searching for an Eriba Puck...) ...came across this posting by accident and I'm really intrigued....I'm a fan of pieces of history like this but I am also naive and concerned about buying something this old....should I be?...do I understand that the camper could be fitted on a newer truck...any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated
Old 07-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #24

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I wouldn't have the smallest concern about a 1985 Ford Ranger with 58,000 miles on it, if that's what you're asking about, "Hyr".

Except for the shell, that's what this vehicle is, and parts for maintenance/repair are over-the-counter items at any auto parts store.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #25

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyr
Hi

I am a junior member and have just started looking for a camper (actually have been searching for an Eriba Puck...) ...came across this posting by accident and I'm really intrigued....I'm a fan of pieces of history like this but I am also naive and concerned about buying something this old....should I be?...do I understand that the camper could be fitted on a newer truck...any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated
This Ranger has many miles left - I wouldn't worry in the least.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #26

Minnesota
HI hyr, I think what the others are telling you is right. The engine starts and runs strong. I've not had any concerns about it when driving this. It doesn't leak anything or burn any oil.
I actually drove by where they make Scamps last week and stopped and talked to them about this unit. The production manager was there when they built these. About all he could tell me was they built 14 of them total, all in '85 and '86. He said he has had a few people call him that wrecked them so we know not all of them are still around. I have no way of knowing how many are out there. I've not heard of any just 'dying' only ones that were wrecked but of course I haven't heard about all of them. :-)
Old 08-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #27

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I'm sure a few people will be looking at this thread again, since it was mentioned in scamp motorhome?

Richard hasn't logged in for a month, so he's probably not around, but an update would be nice... did it ever sell? Does anyone know?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #28

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
As I mentioned in the more general thread (scamp motorhome?), this motorhome is still for sale by Richard.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp