1978 Trillium 1300 worth it??? - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-23-2016, 11:24 PM   #1

Name: Taylor
Trailer: Currently Shopping
British Columbia
1978 Trillium 1300 worth it???

Hey Folks I'm looking at a 1978 Trillium 1300 for sale at a local dealer, he is firm on $5000. He says with summer coming up he will clean it up and get 6k all day long. Anyways I am wondering if it is worth it or should I wait for another trailer to come my way. My only thing is it is the exact model I want, double bed and with the single bunk bed option. Also has a a rear hitch I was thinking of mounting my dirt bike to. Anyways please let me know what you think or if anyone is BC is planning on selling theirs or knows of one around. Sorry no interior pics, but I would say it 7/10 not mint, has been well used but in not need of remodel and am told all appliances work.
Attached Thumbnails
20160209_122307.jpg   20160209_122250.jpg  

Old 02-24-2016, 12:21 AM   #2

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
He could at least wash it before asking $5,000.
You will be very unhappy mounting a dirt bike on the rear hitch. The hitch is maybe capable of carrying the weight of a couple bicycles and if you put a dirt bike on the back you will have not have enough weight on the tongue to keep the tow and trailer on the road.
As for what it's really worth? Others will pipe in. Recommend searching Buyer's Check List on this site.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:26 AM   #3

Name: KRISTA
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
We bought a 1973 Trillium 1300, nearly 2 years ago in BC, that we thought was a 7/10. Paid $3500 and has the same specs as this one. We keep watching the market and seems $5k now is about the average going rate for something in similar condition. So at the time, we thought we paid $500 too much, but now think we may have just got into the market just in time. However, we sometimes see ones that look to be in a semi-restored state for maybe a few thousand more which might be worth it. We thought about putting a hitch on the back for a 4-bike, bicycle rack, but it wasn't recommended.

Some things to think about, depending on your final vision: The most expensive repairs was re-doing the Torsion Axel and frame (which was holding on by a thread where the fibreglass was bolted onto the trailer bed - frame was nearly rusted right through). Didn't know to look for that when purchased. As a result, the fibreglass was cracked in those areas as well, so required repair to keep water out. So make sure to check the frame and fibreglass for cracks around the inside of the wheel wells. After that big cost, most of the rest has been repairs and cosmetic. The fridge and stove were rusted through and to replace with new will be another $1000.00. We replaced the plywood around the windows, pulled all the windows out and replaced all the seals and polished the aluminum, cleaned the insulation in place etc. Luckily, our foam and fabric is still in decent enough shape, so did a heavy duty clean. Otherwise that would run us another $1000.00. New Belly band; lighting; cabinet doors and hardware, laminate table....By the time we are done we'll be in it for about $10k, but that has brought it back to pretty much a full restoration (without painting the fibreglass, just polishing) with decent quality replacement parts (ie; all stainless and aluminum rivots and screws, good hardware, etc)... and it's starting to look beautiful. This spring will be our first time getting it out. We can't wait, now that we can't afford any other type of holiday.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:19 AM   #4

Name: Richard
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I think that's a little much, although can't see the inside. If it is un-restored on the inside definitely would pass on it, considering you will be paying tax on top of it. It does look like the higher end model with window on the door, so I'm assuming it has the front and back overhead shelving and window by the stove? Also pretty much every one you find will have to front bunk option, not too many had the front table. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Make sure to feel all the wooden window supports to see if the are rotten, re-sealing all the windows is a fairly big job, I had to do my front window.

In the end it's up to you, looks like it will need a paint job. I seem to remember painted trilliums around 5 grand on craigslist last summer in BC. Does it have a working fridge and come with an awning etc?
Old 02-24-2016, 06:16 AM   #5

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Taylor, two things... what's it worth to you to own it and when was the last time you saw a trailer for sale in your desired area in like condition and similar price? Only you can decide if it's something you want to pursue. I do know the closer we get to summer camping season, prices will be going up.

You'd be surprised what a good wash job and some sweat equity in a coat of wax may do for the outside. Unless the gelcoat is completely gone a paint job probably won't be needed. The rest? I don't know. Did you download the Buyer's Check List? Have you seen other trailers that you can compare to this one?

Good luck on your decision!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:50 AM   #6
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Not many Trilliums listed for sale on either side of the border.

Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Could be just the season or a trend? Cost is proportional to need. Raz
Old 02-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
The kitchen window is kind of rare. That along with the window in the door would imply that this Trillium has most if not all of the options.
This trailer has a hot water heater. This is not a factory option. If it works, that might add some value. If installed badly, it might subtract value. It looks suspect to me. It is in the location where the furnace exhaust would be. This may imply a forced air furnace that would be installed below the closet. Trillium did this when gravity furnaces were no longer available. Makes the closet look pregnant though.

BTW: That hitch on the back is poorly installed. It is considered good practice to take the hitch receiver to the next cross member ahead of the bumper. This wouldn't support a motorbike. Likely that much weight would bend the frame, especially when going over a large bump. As mentioned before, putting weight on the bumper is a good way to give the trailer a sway problem.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
At the Palm Springs vintage trailer show this past weekend I was approached by someone and offered $ 7000.00 cash for my 1975 1300 as it is very rare in calafornia. Still couldn't bring myself to sell it espeacially as that $7000 00 eguates to$11000.00 Canadian , not a very happy wife though .
Old 02-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #9

Name: Denis
Trailer: trillium 15
Ontario
Trillium

HI Donna has a lot of wisdom in her post . What its worth to YOU ., is What counts , Some soap and water and a little scrubbing , goes a long way .. Happy trails .
Old 02-24-2016, 01:50 PM   #10

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
One thing to think about is that in a vintage trailer like that, if it's in good condition, it will not lose much if any in resale value over the next few years, so you won't be taking much of a risk. Just make sure you get to look it over thoroughly, inside and out.

Walt
Old 02-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #11

Name: Jamie
Trailer: Boler 1977
Washington
Registry
Hello, the real question is how much is it worth to you? Over the next several years you will be putting more money into it. I averaged $500 a year over the last 5 years. But it's not about the money, its why you want it and the happiness it brings! Money is just money. They sell for however much someone is willing to pay. He's right, if you don't buy it for 5k someone will buy for 6k.

See link below.

Good luck!
Old 02-24-2016, 06:34 PM   #12

Name: Jamie
Trailer: Boler 1977
Washington
Registry
Hello, Here's one on Whidbey, 1979, $5600. Great shape and clean.
Cooper Auto Sales
Old 02-24-2016, 07:12 PM   #13

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbails View Post
Hello, Here's one on Whidbey, 1979, $5600. Great shape and clean.
Cooper Auto Sales
Or about $7,500 Canadian dollars.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #14

Name: Marina
Trailer: 1978 Biggar / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
British Columbia
Registry
From what I have seen recently in BC, $ 5000 is a good price. Just be sure to check for leaks/rot etc.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Tags
trillium