Advice for buying a Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #15

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2010 Little Joe / 2010 2 Dr Jeep Wrangler
Colorado
I agree over priced
Might want to check w/scamp I did a few years ago when I was looking
And they told me they occasionally have a unit for sale that someone had backed out of
It might save you the build time

alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:53 AM   #16

Name: Josie
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Colorado
Thanks for all your help. I'm looking into getting a new one ordered. In addition to being overpriced and loaded with features I won't use, it was a couple hundred pounds over what the owner was suggesting it would weigh.

The wait is hard- I have little kids so road trips are difficult. I like to drive at night and let them play during the day while I recuperate. A little trailer would be ideal but I'll make a new plan until I get the new one.

Thanks again. It looks like I dodged a bullet...

Jo in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #17

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Good move!

The one option I would give serious consideration to is a refrigerator. A standard Scamp comes with just an ice box.

I'd use the time lag to add to your budget. Get the kids involved. Have a couple of garage sales. Sell some stuff on Ebay. We had two garage sales last year, each just one day long. Raised over $2,000 getting rid of stuff we no longer used/needed.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:31 PM   #18

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp
MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo in CO View Post
Thanks for all your help. I'm looking into getting a new one ordered. In addition to being overpriced and loaded with features I won't use, it was a couple hundred pounds over what the owner was suggesting it would weigh.

The wait is hard- I have little kids so road trips are difficult. I like to drive at night and let them play during the day while I recuperate. A little trailer would be ideal but I'll make a new plan until I get the new one.

Thanks again. It looks like I dodged a bullet...
Just as an FYI, don't rule out an Escape if you can tow it (2500-3000lbs). Fairly undebatable it's a better built trailer than the Scamp, and a very favorable Exchange rate rite now. Last week I was all set to put in a deposit on a Scamp 16'. Broke the numbers down and the Escape was actually cheaper. I posted the following on the "Escape" Forum.

"I have been watching the Canadian Exchange Rate the last couple of days, teetering from .73 -.74. Also noticed Escape is offering a $1k discount for certain build dates. I thought it would be interesting to build out (well equiped/not fully loaded/current rates/discount applied/exactly optioned as possible), both a Scamp 16' and Escape 17B. Both with Manual Awning and AC. Due to standard features, the Escape still appears slightly better equipped. We live only an hour from Backus, and really thought Scamp was direction we were heading due to cost and convenience. But it appears Escape is the better bargain, better built and optioned, and extra 1' in length. Can this math possibly be rite? Am I missing something?

2019 Scamp 16’ (w/Option Package)
Base Price - $18,195
Options: (w/10% Disc.)
AC- $720
Fan- $160
Pwr Hood- $75
Furnace- $380
Awning (Man.) $980
Upp. Cabinets $260
Step- $45
Sink (Bath)- $145
Plugs- $80
Tanks $110
-----
TOTAL= $21,150

2019 Escape 17B

Base Price - $19,381
Options: ($USD)
AC- $894
Plug- $36
-----
TOTAL= $20,311"
XBeatzX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The OP is weight-limited to 1500# and has a working budget around $10K. Even a very basic Scamp 13 will push the boundaries on both counts. Might want to re-read her earlier posts, or we’re going to get some serious thread drift. We’ll have her in a nice new Bigfoot next!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:52 PM   #20

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 she wants a really light trailer with a limited budget. Basic Scamp 13. Nothing comparable price wise.

Yes to below, Jon knows Scamps, and I don't.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #21

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Good move!

The one option I would give serious consideration to is a refrigerator. A standard Scamp comes with just an ice box.
I’d say just get the option package. The fridge is included, and for little more than the stand-alone fridge you get a long list of nice stuff, including a screen door and a battery. It’s a good value if you can swing it.

I’d also delete the escape hatch vent and have a fantastic fan installed in the center.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Lite House
Minnesota
Registry
You could look at Little Joe as well, dry weight is 1100 pounds. You will be over your budget for a new one, though. I think they are around $15K.

They are located in Colorado, so you could visit the factory easily (I'm guessing it is a pretty small operation compared to Scamp/Casita etc., you don't see many around).

Little Joe Lightweight Trailer - Compact Camper Trailer for 2 by Weiscraft Trailers
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:30 PM   #23

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
$9500 for a mid 1980's Scamp is high as if not already replaced the axle is overdue and the frame may well have cracks in the bends, not to mention the high possibility of a bad floor.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:25 AM   #24

Arizona
Registry
Advice for buying a Scamp

The original post did mention a new axle and a lot of other renovation work. My fear for an inexperienced buyer is if the renovation didn’t deal with the “bones”- floor and frame- it perhaps didn’t go far enough.

A complete renovation of a 40-year-old trailer is easily worth $10K. But a partial renovation can be worse than none, and it takes a careful inspection to spot the difference.

The OP would do well to keep searching for a late model used Scamp while she waits for the new one. The deposit is 100% refundable until they start building it, so nothing to lose except interest on $500 for 6 months (which won’t even buy a decent cup of coffee these days).
Old 05-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #25

Name: Maria
Trailer: Casita
GA
For a little bit more, you can get a new one.
Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #26

Name: Maria
Trailer: Casita
GA
For a little bit more, you can get a new one. $9500 for a 40 year old trailer seems very high to me.
Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #27

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Might want to re-read her earlier posts, or we’re going to get some serious thread drift. We’ll have her in a nice new Bigfoot next!
Or this:

https://bowlusroadchief.com/endless-highways/

Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 05-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #28

Name: Josie
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Colorado
Lol, my transmission would be shot before I got out of my driveway but that looks very nice. I could sit in my yard in it and pretend to be on vacation.

Jo in CO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp