Advice on Trillium for sale, please - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #1

Name: Louise
Trailer: 1985 UHaul
Michigan
Advice on Trillium for sale, please

Ok -- I just ran across this ebay listing:

TRILLIUM 1300 Camper- Classic Tear drop Very nice/compact/light-NO RESERVE in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors

I am concerned about the lack of title. Has anybody dealt with that situation?

Otherwise, it looks like it's in reasonable shape. Tell me what I'm not seeing or should be asking!
havingfunnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If you're interested, you should check with your motor vehicle department in your state to see what they would require for paperwork on this.hopefully a PA member will provide info as to whether this ever would have had a title. I've heard that PA is a real pain in the A to deal with on registering a trailer under some conditions. I've heard on another forum that a couple PA residents registered theirs in Maine, and it's legal and easy to do as an out of state resident.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Here in VT lack of a title would not be an issue. It depends on your state. Best check it out before bidding. As far as the trailer is concerned Trilliums are not tear drops and they have no springs. Did he drive it 70 miles without lights? With a scary looking propane tank and no battery, how did he test the appliances. Twenty + gallon water tank??? It looks like a nice fixer upper but I would be skeptical of the sellers description. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
In Wa. state the DMV will do an inspection and an instantaneous vin # search to see if it is stolen, has liens, or any other issues. If no "hits" they issue you a 3 year registration. If at the end of that 3 years nothing has come up they issue you a new clear title. The only problem is if you want to sell during that 3 years while you are waiting for title. You can sell but the new owner must sign off on the process and of course it is still Wa. state registered.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #5

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
1979? Trillium 1300

Hello,
FYI the trail is probably around a 1972 judging from the
color and the light fixture over the sink. Also it does
not have a solid emergency escape window in the back
like the later ones.
Good Luck on your trailer search. Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The advert now says they have the title, but I would be a little leery, if only for their optimistic description of the trailer's condition.
MillerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #7

Michigan
Thanks, Raz -- I wondered about the weird description too. I'm glad you pointed out the propane tank -- I don't know enough about them to evaluate from a photo. (more to learn!)

Larry, I didn't know that the early Trills had no escape window. That's a dealbreaker for me. (some very sad family history there)

I think I'll phone the Michigan DMV and find out about the license problem, just for future reference.

I'll have a lot of looking to do! Well, it's just more fun, eh? Thanks, everybody.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The eBay ad now says that he has located the title.

For lights, I'd just take some tow lights with me and zip tie them to the bumper.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Not 1979 (74-77) Logo has line under it. Sticker is a parallelogram

Pros:
Has furnace
Has fridge
Has door window
Has shelves (back) damaged
Can't tell from pictures, but probably has shelves in the front
Snaps for add a room
Has doors on gaucho
Frame is square tube
Cushions have been recovered.
Nice hub caps (need work)

Cons:
9" vent
Looks like original coupler (the ball is coming off the truck)
Chains need replacement
Ensolite needs work
Door is sagging
Water tank is on the same side as the kitchen
Propane regulator is missing (on tank)
Not original Tail lights
Nice hub caps (need work)
No escape hatch
No rock guard
Seal on door window needs work
Probably has original axle

When originally manufactured, this was a high end unit. It has been neglected and needs work. It would make a very nice trailer, eventually.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by havingfunnow View Post
Larry, I didn't know that the early Trills had no escape window. That's a dealbreaker for me. (some very sad family history there)

A number of the small fiberglass trailers have less than great escape options. The Scamps for example have the escape hatch on the roof and you need to be pretty tall and stand on the bed to reach it & the strength to pull yourself up and out of it. I know I would try to go out the back window first - suspect one or two good kicks from the inside would open up the back window of a Trill....no one has ever let me try it though! Just a hunch.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #11

Michigan
I am learning a lot. Thank you all! David, I really appreciate the extensive analysis.

I'm going to have to think carefully about windows/escape options, Carol. Maybe it would be possible to replace one old window with a new one that functions as a hatch. (I'm pretty sure you're right about kicking a window -- but the grandkids aren't old enough!)
Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #12

Alberta
Registry
I don't see any reason why the window could not be converted to an escape hatch. I have been looking for complete escape hatch window assembly for my green Cantaloupe, but no luck. I never thought of converting the existing unit.
The main issue would be finding an appropriate aluminum extrusion for the frame. If there is interest, I could post pictures of how the factory did the escape hatch on my other trailers. I will have to give this some thought, (smells wood burning).
Old 01-12-2013, 05:33 AM   #13
Raz

I used my " escape" window to go in and out of the trailer when I was repairing the door hinge. The door had to be taped shut to get the position correct. Other than that, I'd rather have the extra jalousie.

In regard to the eBay Trillium, it appears there is a fair amount of goo on belly band indicating a leak at some time. With out inspection, it's hard to judge if there is water damage. Raz
Old 01-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #14

Michigan
David, I would love to see photos of the escape hatch mechanisms!

It's safe to say I'm a bit paranoid on that point. I had a cousin who went camping with neighbors when he was seven. There was a tent fire, and he lived -- but there were years of surgeries and skin grafts, and a lot of permanent scarring. He died of Hepatitis B before he turned 60, since nobody back then knew to screen blood transfusions for it. It's really shaped my attitude toward fire safety, for sure! I'm excessive, and I'm ok with that.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #15

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I used my " escape" window to go in and out of the trailer when I was repairing the door hinge. The door had to be taped shut to get the position correct. Other than that, I'd rather have the extra jalousie.

In regard to the eBay Trillium, it appears there is a far amount of goo on the bell band indicating a leak at some time. With out inspection, it's hard to judge if there is water damage. Raz
Good point on the extra jalousie. Since the escape hatch has no screen, we don't use it for ventilation.
I noticed the calking on the belly band, but I just assume that the belly band leaks on all Classic Trilliums. In my opinion the belly band has to go on all my trailers. I also like the look with out it.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #16

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Trillium Belly Band

Hello,
Never had any leaks in my Trillium's belly band.
course this trailer has lived its whole life in AZ
so rivets had no chance to deteriorate. As a
preventative measure I cleaned up the top of
the belly band and the adjoining fiberglass at
the top of the band, masked off at about 1/8"
on band and body each side of top of belly band
and sealed with clear acrylic paint/gel to seal it up.
Used stuff called TriArt Gel Medium GF 70-80.
Also got new belly band insert to keep rivets
from direct exposure to rain/water. So far,
so good = no leaks. Of course reset/sealed
all windows and roof vent, too.
Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I noticed the calking on the belly band, but I just assume that the belly band leaks on all Classic Trilliums. In my opinion the belly band has to go on all my trailers. I also like the look with out it.
When my belly band leaked the trailer was nose and drivers side high. I had a nice puddle in the passenger side rear storage compartment. Luckily I got to it before any damage was done to the plywood. David, having examined many old Trilliums how common is floor damage from these leaks. I can only imagine the job it would be to replace the main floor plywood. Raz
Old 01-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #18

Alberta
Registry
Trilliums are built with gutters on each side. They act to pool any water running down the sides. On my 73? 1300 there are holes drilled in the low points of these gutters. The floor on that trailer is better then all the others. I have removed the furnace and even under the counter the paint looks like new on the plywood.
All the later trailers do not have drain holes, and I plan to find the appropriate bug screen and then drill four holes, on all of them. The holes will be low point drains just ahead of and behind the wheel wells.

Under the gaucho of my first Trillium 4500 the plywood had obviously seen water. The top layer is bubbling in places that it is de-laminating. freddo411 had some rot under the road side bench of his dinette. But the floor in the middle of the trailers all seem solid. Both the 1300's and 4500's have a sheet of plywood that runs from the bottom of the door to under the kitchen. I would imagine changing this wood would be very difficult. It would probably be necessary to cut a hole in the fibreglass from the bottom to do it. Thankfully, the gutters on either side seem to prevent this from happening.
The 1300's have a sheet of plywood that runs under the dinette. The ends are inside the dinette benches. This would also be hard to change. The 4500's have their water tank under the dinette floor, so no plywood, other then the cover on the tank.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #19

Alberta
Registry
Below are some pictures that I took of the broken escape hatch on the Wedding Gift.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape Hatch Frame 01.jpg   Escape Hatch Frame 02.jpg  

Escape Hatch Frame 03.jpg   Escape Hatch Frame 04.jpg  

Escape Hatch Frame 05.jpg   Escape Hatch Frame 06.jpg  

Escape Hatch Frame 07.jpg   Escape Hatch Frame 08.jpg  

Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #20

Michigan
Thank you, David! That looks pretty straightforward. Good!

Gutters! I never thought of gutters. Nice design on the Trillium.

Tags
trillium