Advice Sought RE Ontario Permit/Ownership - Used Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: "In the market"
ON
Advice Sought RE Ontario Permit/Ownership - Used Trailer

Hello All,

I am a newb and need some help. I am considering the purchase of a fiberglass trailer in Ontario, where I am also a resident. The current owner has a government permit/ownership with the trailer described as "Homemade".

So...is this going to be a viable document for Service Ontario to issue a valid permit and for insurance purposes? If not, what can we do?

Any insights are appreciated.

John
Daiwa000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I don't know anything about Canadian registration requirements, but I do know that some early makers (Burro I think) sold DIY trailer kits. So "Homemade" may be accurate.
That said, there have been occasions where trailers titled as "Homemade", turned out to have been stolen up to years in the past.

If you can put up a pic you will get a quick I.D. from members.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #3

Name: Bobby
Trailer: Trillium 4500, Casita f/d ,1987 boler voyageur,1988bigfoot5er
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiwa000 View Post
Hello All,

I am a newb and need some help. I am considering the purchase of a fiberglass trailer in Ontario, where I am also a resident. The current owner has a government permit/ownership with the trailer described as "Homemade".

So...is this going to be a viable document for Service Ontario to issue a valid permit and for insurance purposes? If not, what can we do?

Any insights are appreciated.

John
Hey John,
I purchased a homebuilt aluminum cargo trailer (Ontario) and had no problem changing the ownership. Just took the original ownership and got new plates.
As for insurance, If the trailer is less than $10,000. why would you insure it anyway? You would have to go through an evaluation process for your insurance company and if or when you ever had to collect on it, they would just give you a hard time.
Bobby
2008 Casita f/d-----1988 Bigfoot 5er---1987 Boler
Bobby Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #4

Name: Beth
Trailer: eventually
Ontario
Here's the info from Ontario on trailers.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...ion5.4.2.shtml

The only problem you might run into is the new 'Used Vehicle Information Package' that must be supplied by the previous owner. If they didn't do that they can not legally sell a used vehicle in Ontario.

That and the bill of sale will get the trailer registered. The nice thing is that trailers are a one time registration fee not an annual like a motorized vehicle.

Oh, and you want insurance on it, you might skip collision if you want but to tow it on the road, liability insurance is a must.

If you're going to be parking it, say for the winter, you can have 'storage' insurance put on it during the off-season. Just don't forget to put full insurance back on it before you go for a spring camping trip.
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #5

Name: Bobby
Trailer: Trillium 4500, Casita f/d ,1987 boler voyageur,1988bigfoot5er
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
Here's the info from Ontario on trailers.

Driver's Handbook

The only problem you might run into is the new 'Used Vehicle Information Package' that must be supplied by the previous owner. If they didn't do that they can not legally sell a used vehicle in Ontario.

That and the bill of sale will get the trailer registered. The nice thing is that trailers are a one time registration fee not an annual like a motorized vehicle.

Oh, and you want insurance on it, you might skip collision if you want but to tow it on the road, liability insurance is a must.

If you're going to be parking it, say for the winter, you can have 'storage' insurance put on it during the off-season. Just don't forget to put full insurance back on it before you go for a spring camping trip.
You do not need the "used Vehicle Information Package" for a travel trailer but,
Bob Miller is right about that stollen vehicle aspect. There must be some kind of serial numbers on it?
Bobby
2008 Casita f/d-----1988 Bigfoot 5er---1987 Boler
Bobby Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
Ontario
Trailer insurance

I recently contacted my insurance company about insurance for a travel trailer. Being relatively new to it, I wanted to know. They told me It should be noted on your vehicle insurance for when you are towing it. And should be on your house insurance for when you're out using it. That part is not for the trailer but for the people that come around. Like the guy who comes onto your property and slips and falls and hurts themselves. You would be covered for those liabilities. The cost is so minimal that it's worth it. Your insurance company would be the best to answer this question.
slimmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:41 AM   #7

Name: Denis
Trailer: trillium 15
Ontario
ownership

why dont you call service canada . office , they will tell you what you REALLY need ,
trilliumdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:20 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilliumdan View Post
why dont you call service canada . office , they will tell you what you REALLY need ,
Service Ontario

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmit View Post
They told me It should be noted on your vehicle insurance for when you are towing it. And should be on your house insurance for when you're out using it. That part is not for the trailer but for the people that come around. Like the guy who comes onto your property and slips and falls and hurts themselves. You would be covered for those liabilities. The cost is so minimal that it's worth it. Your insurance company would be the best to answer this question.
What your insurance company told you is actually not valid for some provinces and/or insurance companies. For example the trailer must carry its own plates and auto insurance and my house insurance does not cover the trailer at all when its parked at home. I needed to buy a completely separate policy for when its parked at home.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote