Boler insurance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
RLP

Name: Rick
Trailer: 72 Boler
British Columbia
Boler insurance

I just insured my 72 Boler and opted for the Liability coverage only when the trailer is not attached to the tow vehicle. I am starting to wonder now if I should have added Comprehensive and/or Collision coverage. I paid only $2000 for the trailer but am aware it may cost 4-6K to replace it in the event of a loss. I am interested to know what insurance coverage you folks have on a similar vintage trailer.

Learned something while at ICBC. When a trailer is attached to the tow vehicle, the liability portion of the tow vehicle also covers liability related issues of the trailer. If however the trailer becomes detached from the tow vehicle (lets say the safety chains also fail) and the trailer collides with another vehicle or object, the trailer is no longer covered for liability because it was no longer attached to the tow vehicle.
RLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My trailer is only insured when it's hooked to the tug or under tow. It was a trade off, do I insure it when it's parked at home ($$) or only worry about it if I CAUSE an accident? What the asset is worth... I decided if it disappears, I'd eat the replacement cost. But the "laws" in the US are probably different than Canada. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #3

Name: Larry & Joyce
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Fergus Ontario
Registry
I bought our '74 Trillium for $1200 in 1999. The insurance co. wanted to insure it for the "new in 1974" cost, which was around $2600. But they will pay the current market price for a replacement. It's insured for liability, comprehensive & theft, at the whopping price of $24 a year ! It wasn't worth leaving comp & theft off the policy, to me.
Larry Tenhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #4

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
I talked to my insurance agent about insuring my Trill and she told me that as it is a 1978 that there isn't even a listing in her schedule for it. If I wanted to bring it by they would look it over and insure it as if it were an antique with my estimated value as a cost basis. I haven't done it yet even though she said it would be cheap-around a hundred dollars a year. In Oregon there is no requirement to insure it and my agent told me few trailer owners do insure their trailers. With all I've put into mine I might.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #5

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Mine is insured fully with a value of 7,000.00
Basic coverage 22.00
Third Party Liability 9.00
Collision 45.00
Comprehensive 99.00
______
Total 175.00 per year.

This is the Vancouver area.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLP View Post
I just insured my 72 Boler and opted for the Liability coverage only when the trailer is not attached to the tow vehicle. I am starting to wonder now if I should have added Comprehensive and/or Collision coverage. I paid only $2000 for the trailer but am aware it may cost 4-6K to replace it in the event of a loss. I am interested to know what insurance coverage you folks have on a similar vintage trailer.

Learned something while at ICBC. When a trailer is attached to the tow vehicle, the liability portion of the tow vehicle also covers liability related issues of the trailer. If however the trailer becomes detached from the tow vehicle (lets say the safety chains also fail) and the trailer collides with another vehicle or object, the trailer is no longer covered for liability because it was no longer attached to the tow vehicle.
Thats interesting! Didnt think you could opt for that always had the impression that as its mandatory to carry totally separate liability on the trailer that it would not be insured for anything while attached to the tow....... I didnt realize that the tows liability would cover it when attached thus the reason we have to have totally separate liability & collision insurance for the trailer. hummm out of curiosity what did that little change save you?

I also have collision coverage and have it insured for what I would need to replace it - but of course every year they want to reduce the amount of replacement insurance by about 10 percent as they would do with a stick trailer. I always have to explain that it does not devalue as such.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
RLP

British Columbia
This is the first time insuring my Boler so I can't comment on "savings". Right now it just has 3 million liability which costs $9 per year. I might mix it up a bit and shop around for Comp for a year and Collision for 6 months or so since collision would only be effective during the towing/camping season. Just had another thought - either comp or collision also covers the trailers contents so that might be a consideration depending on the value of the goods inside.

My insurance broker said so many people think their vehicle liability covers the trailer 100% of the time - Not so, just when it's attached.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #8

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Trailers do burn up fast I've seen a couple, so the Comprehensive is cheap in my books.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
RLP

British Columbia
Good point Daniel.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLP View Post
My insurance broker said so many people think their vehicle liability covers the trailer 100% of the time - Not so, just when it's attached.

Actually most people I know with trailer insurance think the opposite - the tows insurance does not cover it at all - attached or not attached. Suspect two reasons for that - one may be the fact that it mandatory for us to purchase separate liability for the trailer or the other may be brokers are advising different from what yours has advised. I seem to recall being told that if something went wrong with trailer while towing such as the trailer creating a sway causing you to loose control of the tow, it would be deemed to be the trailer at fault and the tows liability would not cover it.

As its mandatory for us to purchase separate liability insurance for the trailer I cant imagine there is much if any cost savings re it being covered while attached to the tow. Will have to ask my insurance comes up for renewal next month.

As far as insuring it for only part of the year keep in mind that while it is parked many things can happen. It could be stolen, a tree could fall on it or if parked in a garage or carport it could burn down.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #11

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well,,,,,,, my home owners covers everything inside mine, my auto covers accident damage. i have coverage on the trailer for vandalism and wayward tree limbs which is minimal cost.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #12

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i guess our insurance company figures,,,if you hit it with the trailer,,,or tow,,,you still hit it.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #13

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Just got my renewal for UHaul. News & Notes inside says a discount on Physical Damage Coverage premium for trailers constructed from non-metal materials is available. I called my agent. THAT MEAN'S FIBERGLASS EGGS!! Don't know what the discount will be yet, but anything is better than nothing.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
i guess our insurance company figures,,,if you hit it with the trailer,,,or tow,,,you still hit it.
John in the US that may be the case but in BC Canada where the original poster is from it doesn't. The trailer must have its own separate insurance with min. requirements.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #15

Name: jim & mary
Trailer: scamp 13 1999
Washington
Registry
We insured our 99 scamp with full coverage for 24.00 a year.It is covered for full replacement value if anything happens to it.

jim ellis
jim ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Jim, what company is that with? Mine is $70 yr. The tow vehicle insurance liability covers the liability part. I'm wondering what liability there is when not attached?
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #17

Name: jim & mary
Trailer: scamp 13 1999
Washington
Registry
Gene,I have my scamp insured through state farm
jim ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I have All States insurance. Everything is covered in all states except if I make a claim. Then nothing is covered anywhere!!! Cost...priceless!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Every insurance company has its own set of deductibles and its own set of "That's not covered at all" clauses. In Canada, there are 3 provinces (BC, Sask, and Manitoba) where the insurance is part and parcel of the registration, and they have the the following (Over-generalized for simplicity here) rules:

1) If its on the road, it needs plates and registration
2) If it has plates it has insurance, with liability being mandatory
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #20

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
There are more posts about this issue under Towing/Registration
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler