Border crossing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #15

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
I just read the above link from the ACLU, nowhere in it does it say that you can just leave, it does say that they need just cause to search your vehicle at a temporary checkpoint, and that at a regular checkpoint they can't detain you longer than reasonably necessary to complete the function of the checkpoint which may include a search.

I personally have had very few problems in hundreds of border crossings, just tell the truth, don't try to pull any fast ones, and answer the questions they ask.

Joe

Old 08-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Sutton View Post
one asked if I had any guns.
Going from Idaho to Alberta I handed customs my passport which had expired 10 years earlier. He told me I really should get a new one and passed us through.
Herb I suspect that was while ago? Dont think that would work on either side of the border this year. You need a valid passport.

I have crossed the border many times with a trailer and have only had it opened and checked once - two weeks after 9/11 going into the USA.

I always answer all the questions no matter how silly they seem and how hard I have to bit my tongue. I also always declair everything! usually offer all my sales slips when I hand over my passport. Only once have I been told to go in and pay duty. I never carry fruits or veggies. Last month I was *way over* my limit coming back into Canada after having been away for 3 weeks and when asked what the big ticket items where that I had purchased I told them two new golf drivers and tires for the car. The fellow at the booth asked if the tires were in the trailer? and I responded nope they are on the car - he took his sunglasses off looked the tires on the car up and down and said "you could have fooled me". I pointed out I had since put 3000 miles on them. Was told to have a nice day and enjoy the new clubs! :-)

This past week-end the fellow on the US side was so intreasted in my trailer & wondering if he could stand up in it he did not even ask me half the normal questions I have come to expect.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe No More .. Sob!
Registry
The only time I was delayed while pulling my Scamp was at the Midway Crossing in Central Washington. The Border Crossing guy said I was the first customer in an hour and that he was bored. Then he asked me to open my 13' and explained that he and his wife were thinking of buying a small trailer like mine.

Like a true FG Egg owner I was more than happy to give him the tour and brag on the features of a Deluxe.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
I have read this thread with great interest,and found much useful information, but it caused me to contemplate the 40 million illegals in the U.S. and the absolute refusal of the government to do anything about it. Even to the point of filing lawsuits against those states which would dare make a start.
So tell me again the purpose of the border checkpoints?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #19

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd
I have read this thread with great interest,and found much useful information, but it caused me to contemplate the 40 million illegals in the U.S. and the absolute refusal of the government to do anything about it. Even to the point of filing lawsuits against those states which would dare make a start.
So tell me again the purpose of the border checkpoints?
You wouldn't want any contaband oranges that were exported from Florida to Canada to possibly get back would you? LOL
Can you imagine what it'd be like if there were no controls your and probably our (Canada)populations would double over night. Also IMO allowing illegals to stay is a slap in the face to the people that go through the propper process in order to immigrate it's most insulting to them after they've jumped through hoops to get the privelage to immigrate to either of our countries.

On another note any canadians going to the USA it is advisable to fill out a declaration form listing items of value you are taking with you ie) cameras, video cameras, tools etc. This makes coming back so much easier. Yes declair the stuff you bought any duty will be far less than fines and penalties.
My wife found this out the hard way when her friend convinced her to claim nothing.
Ha ha ya right 2 women gone to Buffalo for the day shopping coming back with nothing....BUSTED!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #20

Name: Gaenor
Trailer: 1976 Boler
Ontario
When our friends and I crossed to the States a while back, they opened both our Boler 1300s for a quick peek (after asking what the heck they were!), and looked in the fridge, but I think the problem was that we brought fruit/veg. When we told him we had apples, he asked us what colour, then appeared to be trying to look them up (with no good result) In the end we pitched our apples, green onions and something else. My friend was totally frosted when we got to the Walmart in Montana and there were the exact brand of grapes they made her throw out! She remains bitter to this day. It took no more than 10 minutes, though, and the people were pleasant enough. Just don t bring any fruit or veg. But bring your own cheese, because ours is way more expensive up here!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #21

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaenor View Post
When our friends and I crossed to the States a while back, they opened both our Boler 1300s for a quick peek (after asking what the heck they were!), and looked in the fridge, but I think the problem was that we brought fruit/veg. When we told him we had apples, he asked us what colour, then appeared to be trying to look them up (with no good result) In the end we pitched our apples, green onions and something else. My friend was totally frosted when we got to the Walmart in Montana and there were the exact brand of grapes they made her throw out! She remains bitter to this day. It took no more than 10 minutes, though, and the people were pleasant enough. Just don t bring any fruit or veg. But bring your own cheese, because ours is way more expensive up here!
Does anybody know what happens to the stuff they confiscate? Free lunch?
Old 08-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGee View Post
On another note any canadians going to the USA it is advisable to fill out a declaration form listing items of value you are taking with you ie) cameras, video cameras, tools etc. !
I keep scanned copies of all my sales slips for my camera gear and bikes etc on my laptop as well as a list on my phone of all the serial numbers etc and when/where purchased - never been asked but its handy to have if I do get asked or its stolen while traveling.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #23

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
Does anybody know what happens to the stuff they confiscate? Free lunch?
When I worked at the border in Windsor Ontario( many years ago), I can attest to the fact that is was destroyed, I could have cried a few times when I saw all that good liquor going down the drain
Old 08-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #24

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
Crossing into Canada one time we were asked if we had any fresh fruit. We did. We had two apples and told the agent that we had them. He said "you are not allowed to bring fresh fruit into Canada. When you get to where you're going, throw them away." When we got to where we were going, we threw them away...into our stomachs.