Buy long distance? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-04-2017, 10:00 AM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
I just recently purchased a two year old Casita sight unseen from 425 miles away. This was exactly what I wanted and the newer trailers go so quickly I called her immediately. We agreed upon a price, assuming I was satisfied with her representation of the trailer and I sent a $500 deposit to hold the trailer until I could get there in a month. I was risking the $500 if I wasn't satisfied with it, but that was a risk that I was willing to take to get what I wanted. Everything worked out fine for me.

JohnHardesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:25 AM   #16

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Registry
You can see several in a rally like this :

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/c...-13&e=6184&c=1

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #17

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
A couple of tips for buying long distance

Watch the ads and get an idea of pricing of the trailer/model/features you wish to buy.
1. Contact owner immediately. Request to hold for 1-2 days so you have time to drive to see it/get it inspected by a third party.

2. If you can't drive, arrange with a trailer sales/service local to the seller. For a small fee, they may inspect the trailer for you. Have them verify title/fax facsimile to you to insure ownership. If owner refuses inspection, move on - something's wrong (ownership, scam, major problems, etc).

3. Arrange with your bank to transfer funds at your request after you agree to buy. The seller and I went to his bank who's mgr contacted my bank mgr and made the transfer of funds. Purchase contracts can be faxed.

4. Do not send any money without inspection/viewing. Contract/title and money exchange should be simultaneous.

Long distance buying can be done. Good luck in finding your trailer.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:38 PM   #18

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
When I found "my" trailer, I drove 1,600 miles...ONE way...to get it. Sent a deposit check to hold it, paid the remainder in cash when I got there.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #19

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Colorado
We have purchased one new and four used fiberglass trailers since 2004. The first one was two blocks from our house in Anchorage, Alaska. I noticed that it hadn't moved in two years, so I knocked on the door and asked about it. It had not been listed for sale but the owner wasn't using it anymore and sold it to me the next day. A year later, I made an 8000 mile round trip to Texas to pick up a new Casita I had ordered.

After moving back to the lower 48, I started chasing deals on used Bigfoot trailers. The closest was 500 miles away, then 1100 miles, the most recent about 700 miles. On every one of those, I was ready to hit the road within a day of contacting the owner. I made no advance deposits, but all the owners said they would hold it for me as the first caller and they did. All were reasonably priced within the market at the time, so I didn't insult the sellers with low-ball offers. I have also had the same great experiences as the seller on four trailers with great people coming a long way to buy them from me.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #20

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
I bought my '72 Compact Jr sight unseen, other than photos that the seller posted. Then I drove across several states to go pick it up, and towed it back home without any problems. I got it for what I consider a fair price, both for me and for the seller. I did find that it had a crossbar and two outriggers separated from the frame, but since I had always planned to pull the body from the frame and have it reinforced anyway, it added less than $100 to the cost of the frame alterations. I don't believe the seller was aware of those issues, because I couldn't see them until I actually got the trailer gutted and the floor completely out.

Long story short, there was a moderate amount of damage to the trailer that I wasn't aware of when I bought it, but it wasn't enough to make much of a difference in repairing/renovating it in the long run. I'll end up putting about $3000 into it all told, including the purchase price, and I'll end up with a trailer that has had a frame-off renovation, and is worth at least $4500 or more.

I'd buy long-distance again. You just have to be aware that it's more risky than being able to see things in person.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #21

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm another person who laid down a deposit for a trailer advertised on Craigslist a good distance away from home (Philadelphia to Minneapolis). I didn't haggle on the price, just sent the deposit and showed up to pick up the trailer a week later. The only challenge I had in the deal was that the lights on the trailer were pretty funky and I was super glad I had my dad along for the ride. He'd brought his tool box so we were able to jimmy up a good enough wiring solution to get the thing home.

Would do again, if the trailer I want at some point in the future shows up on the market.

I know a lot of people are automatically suspicious of anything craigslist, and there definitely are scams running out there, but those are usually pretty identifiable, and as long as you can get a seller on the phone and get some "reasonable, sane person" vibes, it's not a super high risk thing. It's just regular folks on craigslist, some total nutjobs but most pretty reasonable.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:03 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Before you travel accross state lines for a used trailer make sure they have proper documentation in their name. While it may be legal to purchase on only a bill of sale trying to get it registered in your state may be very difficult to near impossible. Dirty paperwork really sucks and can really try your mettle.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:31 PM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
buying anywhere

I have bought so many things instate out of state I cannot recall it all but I have never had one problem with regeristing, titling or anything.

I have yet to meet a dishonest seller except one time and I got it fixed in the end.

Now do I even look at something 1/2 price of normal? No and absolutely not. I have flown to a city more than once to buy a car or truck everytime I look locally it is overpriced and most of them wont bend.

use common sense and when you see what you want strike while the iron is hot!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:32 PM   #24

Missouri
Honesty is always the best policy!

good for you

bob
Old 11-02-2017, 09:03 AM   #25

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 90 Scamp 16 layout 4 & 92 Vanagon
Idaho
My scamp purchase story.

About three weeks ago I was looking at fiberglassRV-4-sale and a 16 scamp layout 4 (the layout I was looking for) popped up with a very good price and a "days" (11 hours, 750 miles) drive from my location. I contacted the seller had some questions answered and then told him I would come and meet him the next day at noon (this all happened late in the afternoon the day before).

Took off from home at 7pm, picked up my father at 8pm (he was on the way) and started the drive. After talking to the seller on the phone I got a text from the wife that the ad had been taken down. Expectation was that we would drive most of the way there get 4-5 hours of sleep and then check out the trailer. At about 1am we hit what was basically a blizzard that closed the interstate. We could either stay on the interstate and wait the 9 hours they claimed it would take to clear the road or find another way. As adding those 9 hours onto our trip would definitely make us late we opted to take other roads. This added about 300+ miles, required 4WD drive and took us up over a 10k mountain with snow covered roads (but at least the road was open).

Driving all night we ended up only 15min late. Inspected and purchased the scamp. I found out that the seller took the ad down because they had 8 other buyers, all willing to make a full purchase over the phone. One was going to come out that afternoon, and others were going to start driving from further out than me. So he took it down because it had basically already sold, even if I had not purchased it, and didn't want to keep getting calls.

After 3 hours of inspection we headed back at 4pm. Shortly down the road we discovered that the door would swing open, ended up buying bungee cords to keep it closed (I replaced the spring in the interior door mechanism and this fixed the problem). Thankfully the interstate was open by then. Non stop driving and I got home at 6am (stuck at 65mph really adds to your travel time). Ended up being a 35 hour non-stop road trip.

The scamp had only been on the sellers local Craigslist for 7 hours at the time he took it down. Anyway that was my scamp purchase story.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:17 AM   #26

Missouri
good story

well you earned a good deal on a scamp is all I can say! I recently listed our A-Liner for sale these are very hard to find it sat for 5 weeks. we got nibbles but no serious buyers then bam out of nowhere a guy in Dallas texas called he wanted it he sent a deposit. He drove 10 hours to pick it up brought cash, we got our full price.

After he had paid a deposit got a call 2 hours away he wanted it so bad he offered more money and said he would be here in the 2 hours!

The small well priced trailers are easy to sell to me!

bob
Old 11-02-2017, 12:00 PM   #27

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Eggcamper
Kansas
What we did:

1. Researched FG campers for about a year before buying by reading this forum, talking to owners, and seeing the inside of different eggs whenever we could. This narrowed our field down to three models we were interested in.

2. When one of those three models would come up for sale and the photos looked good to us, we'd call the seller to get a feel for who they were, and what shape the RV was in.

3. On the egg we purchased, during our phone call the seller said a few people were looking at it that day and he'd let us know later in the day if it had sold or not. Since we were 12 hours away and it was a Saturday (we are still of the working class so we can usually only travel on weekends) we jumped in our tow vehicle, went to the bank and got cash, then started driving. When we got his call informing us it was still available, we'd already been on the road 7 hours. We scheduled to see it first thing on Sunday. Bought it and towed it home.

4. Back to work on Monday.
Ruban&Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #28

Missouri
wow

You 2 are tough people is all I can say!!!

bob