Buying out of state.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #21

Name: ChrisAnn
Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17CB
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Nothing in the Florida trailer registration laws should prevent you from registering the trailer in Florida without the trailer being present in Florida.

Have fun and next time try to buy "Local"!
Ha! You try to buy a used Bigfoot in Florida, good luck with that....
Solowalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #22

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post

If the state of Washington is notified ,the seller is no longer responsible. It's my understanding the seller is required to leave the plate on the trailer or car or whatever. Drive by any used car lot in Oregon or Washington and you will see that they all have a plate from the previous owner.

It's always best to follow the law as it applies to the state te vehicle is registered in.
OK!

I forgot that Washington is one of the states where the license plate belongs to the vehicle upon which it is registered is not the property of the owner of the vehicle. If that situation also applies to trailers you would be golden. Just run the Washington plate back home. In that situation that's the law and you would be fine.

In other states such as Tennessee where I live the plate belongs to the owner/seller of the vehicle/trailer and in most situations can be transferred to the sellers new vehicle if they purchase one. The State of Tennessee makes LOT'S of money selling Temporary Tags when a vehicle transfers ownership of new and used vehicles and the buyer does not have a plate to transfer as you must have a registered plate or temporary tag to legally operate a vehicle until you are able to properly license and transfer ownership. Trailer's are a little different in Tennessee as there are different registration requirements where in most cases a private none commercial trailer owner does not even need to register or license their trailer.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #23

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solowalkin View Post
Ha! You try to buy a used Bigfoot in Florida, good luck with that....

It's only Money!

You pay enough someone will eagerly let you become a "Bigfoot"!!!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:57 PM   #24

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa M View Post
We were required to have a VIN inspection at the time of transferring the title over and getting it registered, so the trailer had to physically be present. Not sure how many states have that as a requirement.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
I had to go through that too bringing the Scamp to Ohio from PA. We just had to go to a local truck dealer that was authorized to do inspections. They just made sure the vin on the title and trailer match then they signed a form and off we went.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #25

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Out if state purchase.

We purchased our TT in GA and towed to NC. GA requires bill of sale no notorizing required. No temp tag. We had that and title with transfer info filled in. As I remember there was a time limit on validity of this. To buy in NC and transport or not requires a temp tag, $5.00 until regisyration is done. As i understand it if DMV ls closed at time of purchase in NC you can transport with a title and hand written bill of sale. States you pass through will most likely accept the rules of state purchased in.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:44 AM   #26

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
You could always license the trailer in Maine. I think you can get a 10 year tag for about $100. My son considered that when IL was giving him a lot of grief about not having the proper title for a project boat he was working on. Had gone through many owners, and no one really knew where a title was. He was able to finally go back to the original owners (research on the Arkansas boat registration still on it) and had them "sell" it to him, so he could pay the fees in IL and get the title. It was all about the money in this state! they wanted every previous owner to register the boat before they would let it be registered!
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:01 PM   #27

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
1. Do the transfer at the out of state Department Of Motor Vehicle and that you have a legal title in your name from that out of state DMV B 4 You hand over the money.

2. Then travel to your state and go to your state DMV, get your state title, registration and license plate and of course, pay the tax.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #28

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Hopefully he actually got the trailer home last fall, as planned.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
You could always license the trailer in Maine. I think you can get a 10 year tag for about $100. My son considered that when IL was giving him a lot of grief about not having the proper title for a project boat he was working on. Had gone through many owners, and no one really knew where a title was. He was able to finally go back to the original owners (research on the Arkansas boat registration still on it) and had them "sell" it to him, so he could pay the fees in IL and get the title. It was all about the money in this state! they wanted every previous owner to register the boat before they would let it be registered!
A simple title bond will yield a clean original title in IllAnnoy.

It involves an appraisal by a dealer (usually about $75)
a bond from your insurance company (about $50 per $5000 of value)
and a form for the DMV who will then issue a clean original title.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote