Buying out of state.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-21-2016, 08:54 PM   #1

Name: ChrisAnn
Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17CB
Florida
Buying out of state....

So I live in Florida, found a trailer I want in WA. The timing isn't great because I haven't found my TV yet, actually wanted to do that first. Wasn't planning on buying yet but this opportunity may never come around again and hey I want it .
Ok to the question, I'm due to fly home June 10, have some commitments and still have to shop for TV so will need to leave it here at a friends til I can get back (3600+ mi) and take it home. Can I get it registered in Fl before I actually get it there? I am just starting my search for info....can anyone help on what to do?

Thanks
ChrisAnn
Solowalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Have it shipped to Florida, may be cheaper than a 7000 mile round trip. Registration varies from one state to another but I would think if you have the title signed over to you there should be no problem registering it in Florida. Look online for what may be required, such as sales tax form. Print anything that the seller may have to sign.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:00 PM   #3
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I would call your DMV (or county tax office, whichever entity governs vehicle registrations) and ask them what you need to do. It's probably not too much of a hassle, but I agree with Mary and Bob that every state's different. YMMV
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:10 PM   #4

Florida
Thanks y'all. I plan on calling Monday if the deal on the trailer goes through, we are still in the talking stage.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:26 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I would consider buying your tow vehicle in Washington, then driving home. Don't know what the legals entail for a Florida resident importing a vehicle bought in another state, but seems like could work!

Might find this link useful: Car Pro Car Pro - Car Pro Certified Dealer and Vehicle Reviews

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:45 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We found that towing our Bigfoot from OR where we bought it to our home in Chicago was cheaper than shipping it.

CindyL
Old 05-22-2016, 06:29 AM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
As a rule of thumb I think a lot depends on what kind of paperwork you get from the out-of-State-State. If the State the trailer was previously registered in has similar registration requirements as the new State things should be smooth. If you show up at the DMV with an un-notarized Bill of Sale from Billy Bob written on a napkin they may ask questions.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:35 AM   #8

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
We've bought and sold many used trailers to/from many different states, including the OEM builder in Minnesota. In no case was there an issue. Perhaps it would be wise to verify the VIN on the tongue matches the VIN on the title or certificate of registration.

While each state is a bit different in how it does things, this is a single country. LOL. It is extremely easy. These FGRV's are sold to and from differing states on a daily basis. It is a very, very common thing. It is my measured opinion that what the states basically want? Well, it would be their tax revenue, of course. That's about it.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:40 AM   #9

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
As a rule of thumb I think a lot depends on what kind of paperwork you get from the out-of-State-State. If the State the trailer was previously registered in has similar registration requirements as the new State things should be smooth. If you show up at the DMV with an un-notarized Bill of Sale from Billy Bob written on a napkin they may ask questions.
If you buy a trailer in many states, including the one I presently reside, titles are signed over with no notarization. Shrug. None have been required for decades now. But do I agree that more than a hand written Bill of Sale is needed. Surely the trailer in question here has either the builder's Certificate of Origin or title/registration etc. I'd be hesitant to buy anything without such documentation. I'm sure the OP has already asked the seller about the title being in hand. Make sure any and all liens are cleared as well. Those CAN be a real pain on an out-of-state transaction.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:41 AM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I agree with Tim on having the proper paperwork. I mentioned printing it from your home state and having all completed at the time of sale because if you need something from the seller later they may be slow to respond. After all, they have your money so why would they care now. I waited almost a year for a simple signed and notarized form from the person we bought a pop-up camper from so I could get a title.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:46 AM   #11

Name: Teresa
Trailer: Boler
Indiana
We were required to have a VIN inspection at the time of transferring the title over and getting it registered, so the trailer had to physically be present. Not sure how many states have that as a requirement.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Teresa M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #12

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2014 Trillium 1500 Legend
Maryland
Registry
I'm in Maryland and bought in Florida (flew down to complete the purchase and drove to get it a few weeks later). Maryland also requires an inspection before mandatory registration, so I just got the real plates on it. Bought it from a dealer, who put temp FL tags on it so we could get it home. Check with your DMV.
AnnKola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #13

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
In most jurisdictions you can go the local County Clerk and get a "Temporary Tag" for transport of a vehicle/trailer you just purchased from a private seller. Some states do not require a trailer registration/license plate for certain size/types/ownership of a trailer. Tennessee is one such state.

As stated previously some states require a vehicle inspection for "Foreign" (out of state) vehicles. Florida does NOT!

Here are the trailer registration requirements for Florida:

Register trailer pulled on FL highways | FL-DHSMV Answers

You could just tow the damn thing home yourself with no plate/registration with just the "Bill of Sale" and Title in your possession (some states do not require a title for a trailer based upon size/weight. Florida is one such state depending upon size/weight of trailer see above) and take your chances on NOT getting stopped. Small chance you would be stopped anyway. If you are stopped present the completed paperwork (Title & Bill of Sale) and plead ignorance.

Given the time needed for this trip (7 days of driving), mileage (6,000+ miles roundtrip), tow vehicle wear and tear, lodging, food, tickets, breakdowns, nudie bar trips and other un-budgeted expenses shopping hard for a good shipping rate/shipper will ultimately be much cheaper. "I" ship vehicles all the time long distance and it's ALWAYS cheaper than I can do it myself. I've purchased and shipped 3 vehicles already in the month of May.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #14

Florida
Wow, thanks for all the replies! The biggest issue is buying it now and not taking it back to Fl til the fall. I havent yet read the stuff that someone linked to about Fl. If I can just take the paperwork back to Fl and get it registered then I can leave it here at my friends til I have the time to find the TV and get back out.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #15

Florida
That link info is for trailers that you put stuff on, this is a Bigfoot RV trailer. I will find out from my county office tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:00 AM   #16

Tennessee
Nothing in the Florida trailer registration laws should prevent you from registering the trailer in Florida without the trailer being present in Florida.

Have fun and next time try to buy "Local"!
Old 05-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #17

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solowalkin View Post
That link info is for trailers that you put stuff on, this is a Bigfoot RV trailer. I will find out from my county office tomorrow.
Reading the Florida trailer registration laws shows NO difference between the registration requirement for a RV trailer versus a "Stuff" trailer. It's all about GVW weight.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #18

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If the trailer is currently registered in Washington, the seller leaves the current plate on the trailer and notifies Washington Department of Licensing that the trailer was sold. I know several people who purchased used vehicles and waited a month or more to license them in their name. Of course the "tab" must be current for this.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #19

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
If the trailer is currently registered in Washington, the seller leaves the current plate on the trailer and notifies Washington Department of Licensing that the trailer was sold.
Leaving the plate on the trailer places the SELLER in a potential "Responsible Liability" position should the purchaser have an "At Fault" accident on their trip home. Rest assured the injured party will sue anyone and everyone associated in any way with the vehicle/trailer causing the accident.

While the seller "may" ultimately be released from liability due to the sale of the trailer it will probably cost them some money and hassle to accomplish this.

NO WAY am "I" lending my "registered to me" trailer license plate to the buyer to transport their "New" trailer!
Old 05-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #20

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Leaving the plate on the trailer places the SELLER in a potential "Responsible Liability" position should the purchaser have an "At Fault" accident on their trip home. Rest assured the injured party will sue anyone and everyone associated in any way with the vehicle/trailer causing the accident.

While the seller "may" ultimately be released from liability due to the sale of the trailer it will probably cost them some money and hassle to accomplish this.

NO WAY am "I" lending my "registered to me" trailer license plate to the buyer to transport their "New" trailer!
You would not be lending your plate to the buyer to transport the trailer. You would simply be following the law regarding Washington registration.

If the state of Washington is notified ,the seller is no longer responsible. It's my understanding the seller is required to leave the plate on the trailer or car or whatever. Drive by any used car lot in Oregon or Washington and you will see that they all have a plate from the previous owner.

It's always best to follow the law as it applies to the state te vehicle is registered in.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote