Buying Used Bigfoot in Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-13-2003, 11:51 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Buying Used Bigfoot in Canada

Need some straigt info...Today I called a dealer in Canada about a used 21ft Bigfoot he had. He said I would need import/export papers to take the trailer from Canada into the USA. He said in the case of that trailer the cost would be $700 cdn.

Having never heard of this produre I want to verify it with someone who has lately bought a Canadian trailer and taken it into the USA. I need to know what the import procedure is.

Can anyone help me on this subject?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 02:09 PM   #2

Dick,

I called Seattle customs with the question a while back. There biggest concern was that the trailer have some kind of paperwork verifying that it was built to US specs. The dealer should be able to supply you with that or it may have-- like our bout-in-the-States Bigfoot does-- a plate on the exterior showing US approval.

Customs did not think I needed inport/export papers because of NAFTA. Better double check with them on that-- your price range might be much higher than the range we were looking at.

And one of the Canadian guys around here... sorry, can't recall who it was... said he didn't think there would be Canadian tax on it, or if there was you'll get it back at the border.

:wave

Old 08-13-2003, 04:56 PM   #3

NAFTA

Kitty: Customs did not think I needed inport/export papers because of NAFTA. I believe that applies to duty paid only.....

the answer might be here:conf

http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/customs/individ...als/faqs-e.html

Old 08-13-2003, 07:16 PM   #4

from the us customs service, it's long

Trailers must be imported by a Registered Importer (RI) or by someone who has a
contract with an RI, unless they have a U.S. certification label stating the
trailer meets U.S. vehicle safety standards.

Whatever the case may be, either you or the registered importer will have to file an
entry with Customs and submit the DOT form HS-7. Customs will then give you (or the
RI) the entry summary document CF 7501, which is needed to register the trailer in
the state.

If the trailer has a label stating it meets U.S. vehicle safety standards, and is
being imported for personal use, a Customs bond usually is not required. However,
the Customs inspector has the authority to require a Customs bond. If it does not
meet U.S. standards or is intended for resale, a Customs bond must be obtained to
cover the importation. You or the registered importer can obtain a Customs
bond from a surety company. A list of sureties is available on the Treasury Web
site at www.fms.treas.gov, under publications, circular 570.

Trailers and their parts are provided for in heading 8716 in the Harmonized Tariff
Schedule and are duty free when imported from countries that have normal trade
relations with the United States. Additional information on the DOT
requirements, a list of registered importers, and the form HS-7 can be
obtained at their a href=http://ww.nhtsa.dot.gov/care/rules/import>web site or by calling the Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import...anada07032.html

Old 08-14-2003, 09:10 AM   #5

Huh. We are getting very different stories from Customs. Which would make me nervous. The guy I talked to said a used trailer would need none of the paperwork you're talking about.

But since Joe's got cites and I only had Voice on Phone, I would go with his info.

Glad my Foot came to me instead of having to go up to BC to get it.

Old 08-14-2003, 10:01 AM   #6

I did have to fill out a form at the border. don't remember the number. needed it to get the tag anyway. whether I could have gone through without the form I don't know. I knew I needed one.

If it's built in Canada it would meet Canandian spec, and that means it mets US specs. according to my boarder crossing guardperson.

and for personal use not for resale is very important.

Check with your States DMV to know what YOU need for sure.

Tags
bigfoot