Canadian crossing questions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #21

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
I'm Canadian and currently in Florida. I cross the border fairly regularly as I live near the Bluewater Bridges b/t Mich and Onatrio. Follow Andrew's advice and don't worry. I have crossed the border with my Trillium from Montana to Alberta, from North Dakota to Manitoba, and from Ontario to New York and never encountered a problem. I usually have my cat with me and carry his vet cert. The custom-guys on either side have always treated me fine.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
In British Columbia rabies vaccination is no longer required my dog had one just for travel into the US. I don't see any hangups with the dog.
Actually that is not correct. A dog coming into Canada from a country that is not listed as rabies free must have a valid rabies vaccination. The USA is not considered rabies free so a proof of vaccination is needed. You will also need proof on entering the USA as well. You have less than a 10% chance of actually being asked for it though going in either direction. but it really does happen from time to time. ;-)

Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Importing Domestic Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
Stay 2 months or four its all the same here. Canada is still very relaxed for entry wish I could say the same about the boarder into the US .
The rules are actually the same going in both directions. An American can visit Canada for up to six months without a visa - the same as a Canadian can into the USA - providing you can prove financial resources to support yourself during that time and do not work. You can expect to be asked when going in either direction as to how you can afford a stay of more than a month -you may also be asked to prove you have a permanent residents in either the USA or Canada depending on your citizenship - helps to carry a utility bill with you of some sort that matches whats on your drivers licence. Happens going in either direction for both Canadian's going into the USA and Americans going into Canada. A border agent on either side can set a visit limit of less than the six months if they are not satisfied with your answers or they do not think you have a strong enough reason to go back to your country of citizenship.

Best on both sides to avoid bringing any meat, fruit, plants, veggies and eggs over the border as the rules change often! IMHO way easier to just say you don't have any than getting into a chat about what you have and don't have. Basics such as butter, milk, bricked cheeses, canned goods, breads, cereals, oils, juice, tea, coffee, flour, nuts, candy and prepared sauces such as ketchup, mayo etc are not a problem going either way. Up until this summer rice was not an issue either but if the rice comes from county known to have the Khapra beetle it is not allowed either way. Now all you need to do is figure out where your rice came from!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #23

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
I'm very glad I posted this thread. It's been a real learning experience. I feel much better informed and prepared. You can read all the official sites you want, but nothing compares to real life information about conditions on the ground. I do know one thing. Once you get past the guards, Canadians are great folks and the country is breathtaking. The last time I crossed, my buddy and I got caught with fresh peaches we had just bought at a roadside stand. Rather than hand them over, we sat outside the guard shack and ate every last one . Then we crossed with everything but the pits . That's about as serious as crossing ever got before all this terrorist mess.
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #24

Registry
David I cross a number of times a year and I have never had any serious problems going either way, yes once or twice I have been asked a few more questions than normal but other than that things really haven't changed all that much since 9/11. More often than not most of the questions I am asked are about the trailer -does it have a bathroom - could they stand up in it - sometimes those are the only questions! :-)
Old 02-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We were crossing into Canada from Minnesota one cold (34 Deg F) rainy evening . The occupants of the car ahead of us and on the outside lane were being questioned. . All of a sudden 2 Canadian Custom Agents came running from the Headquarters building headed right toward this car followed shortly by another officer with a dog . The two men in the car were then handcuffed with their hand around a steal support column at the edge of the canopy with the cold runoff from the roof coming down on there heads . In a matter of minutes the contents of the car was laying on the ground including the seats and parts of the dash. The dog was in the car going crazy. We asked "what happened" . The occupants of the car were 2 men wearing suits and ties and no luggage , who said the purpose of their trip was "FISHING" ? . What really got this started is they got smart with a Canadian female customs officer That's a NO NO
They found drugs hidden in the dash . Never lie or act rudely to customs cause you
are going to loose
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Also make sure your trailer is locked at all times, especially if you've stopped somewhere. Not locked equals instant inspection.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #27

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha D View Post
Also make sure your trailer is locked at all times, especially if you've stopped somewhere. Not locked equals instant inspection.
???? Inspection by whom? Where?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
............. Never lie or act rudely to customs cause you are going to loose
I live 30 minutes from the border but don't cross even once a year. Unfortunately the problem is the thuggish behavior of the guards on the US side. They truly have a chip on their shoulders.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #29

Name: PaulOWindsor
Trailer: 2011 Trillium 1500 & 2002 Airstream 34
Ontario
Davidso : The wife & I live in Windsor Ontario & are across to the US side & back many many times per year, because where we live...cross-border shopping is a very popular pass-time !!! I'm sure that you'll find the experience of crossing the border an easy one. Keep in mind, the people of Canada want tourism & so you'll be most welcome...however, going back home...be prepared to be considered suspicious by the border guards until they've decided they shouldn't be concerned.
PaulOWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #30

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
???? Inspection by whom? Where?
At the border crossing from Canada to the U.S. (personal experience).
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #31

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
Canadians are great folks and the country is breathtaking.
Aw, thanks!
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #32

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Here's an unrelated question but has to do with Canada. I'm cleaning out my desk drawers, and found a coin or token the size of a quarter. In the center is "Pont Champlain Bridge" and around the outer part is "National Harbours Board". I'm guessing that this is a toll token for a bridge. Is it still a toll bridge? Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Here's an unrelated question but has to do with Canada. I'm cleaning out my desk drawers, and found a coin or token the size of a quarter. In the center is "Pont Champlain Bridge" and around the outer part is "National Harbours Board". I'm guessing that this is a toll token for a bridge. Is it still a toll bridge? Bob
does it look like this?
Pont Champlain Bridge token - Google Search
Old 02-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #34

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
looks like the 2nd one down,top far left. are they still in use, or outdated technology replaced by ezpass or similar device.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #35

Registry
The toll was abolished on May 4, 1990.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #36

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Easiest crossing into the U.S. we ever had was towing our trailer. The first ? the border crossing guard asked; " What is the nature of your vacation?" I answered VACATION!!! and she smiled, red faced, and waved us through.
It's not always that easy!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #37

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Our world has changed dramatically and why anyone would travel without a passport is beyond me. We had to have them to travel to from Ontario to Baffin Island which is Canadian territory! It just makes life so much easier.
Bizzian
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #38

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Regardless of which side of the border you live on, DON'T cross the border, either direction with firewood! Both the Canadian and USA do not allow crossing the border into the other country with your home country's firewood. Each country fears foreign bugs, worms, beetles, etc. from the other's country.

I can only take American wood into Canada (for wood turning on my portable lathe) if I can produce proof that it has been kiln dried. The kiln drying kills all the critters.

I just barely avoided a $400 fine because I had two pieces of firewood in the truck bed that I did not was there, and it had not left the truck during the trip.

Mike
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #39

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Several times a year we cross the border into Canada. We stay only several hours and return to the US that same day. Each time Canada asks how long we will be staying, and when returning, the US asks how long we were there. I think that their computers know our routine and the US knows exactly at what time that day we crossed into Canada. But they don't disclose that.
Also, I recently found out that the US shares court data with Canada. So when you pull up to Canadian customs they know all about you. Got a DWI in 1987 in the US [not me], no entry into Canada for you.
My worst experience coming back to the US was when the agent typed the wrong state abreviation for my license plate. We were checked as if it was a stolen car. Additionally, they wanted us to leave our dog outside in the car in 100 degree heat while we went to speak with customs management. My wife told the agent on site that they would have to shoot her for her to do that. Management okay'd us bringing the dog with us.
Today they have plate recognition software, so hopefully that issue has gone away.
Michael W A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjorie M. View Post
Vet certs for dogs including rabies shots, must be within 30 days of crossing (not shots, but certs)

What is a cert?