Cashiers Check - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you withdraw $10k or more the bank reports it to the feds, no big deal.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #22

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You can purchase a small safe and bolt into your camper in a hidden spot and you can also purchase one to do the same thing in your tow vehicle. They sell one that is made for the Chevy Silverado that bolts in to the center thing between the drivers and passengers seat (the thing the driver rests his right arm on). It is $$ but gives you peace of mind.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I always have more than $500 in cash when traveling. You don't have to keep it all in your wallet. Not a big deal.

I used to own a mail order company and I can tell you first-hand that forged cashier's checks have become all the rage since the advent of high resolution color printers. A trained eye can spot them immediately but your average person wouldn't have a clue. There was a huge rash of forged cashier's checks being passed using Craigslist awhile back so now most sellers are leery of them, and for good reason. Google "forged cashier's check" and see what comes up.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
About safes
There is also something called a "Medicine Cabinet Safe" that is small enough to fit inside a standard medicine cabinet to be able to lock up high value/high risk Rx meds. The ones I bought are steel lined and have 2 heavy dead bolts for locking. I bought two of these on-line for $10 each and installed them, out of sight, inside my two trailers, but they will also fit out of sight in a vehicle as well. They won't stop a determined thief, but will discourage the "Snatch and Run" variety that are more common. They easily hold the 200 or so Ben Franklins I carry for gas money.....LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
If you withdraw $10k or more the bank reports it to the feds, no big deal.

We don't need to do any direct reporting ourselves here in Canada either - any time you withdraw or deposit more than $10,000 in cash the bank automatically reports it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #26

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
When my wife was a bank teller over 20 years ago, any deposit over $10K was reported to the feds due to the war on drugs. It had nothing to do with terrorism back then. It's been going on a long time.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Remote funds

When we travel, we only carry so much cash. When we need more we go to the nearest branch of our bank and cash a check. You only have to be sure there are branches near where you will need the money. We found that out in Yuma that there are no branches of our bank!
Here is an example of a bogus check. I think it had something to do with someone filing our income taxes before we did!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad Check.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	76838

Notice it is under $10K. It also says "Cashiers Check". LOL
The original is in the possession of the IRS.
We have no idea who or what the names are.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote