Conscience vs. Good Business - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-02-2006, 03:09 AM   #15
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
As I slowly grow up, one of the rules that I developed for situations like these is "How will what I am about to do make me feel ten years down the line -- Will I remember my actions with a little pride or a little shame?"

In this case, presuming the seller seemed competent, I would just pay the asking price -- It's not my job to do his homework for him, but it's also not my job to make matters worse for him by trying to negotiate the price down.

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:56 AM   #16
Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Ruth we are all asuming that the seller is not hiding a serious flaw!

Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:59 AM   #17
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
And frankly, up until just the last couple of years you COULD by an old Boler, Scamp, or Burro for $950. In fact, that was just about the going rate! I bought a '61 Airstream Bambi 16' in 1998 in excellent, useable condition for $1100!!! Now just try finding one for less than $10k in trashed condition!
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:29 AM   #18
Name: Gigi
Trailer: Love Bug 1974, Eriba Puck 1972
Arizona, Minnesota & Va
I see these dilemmas regularly in my design business. You really see the character of a person. For example, there was one of my clients who asked me for roofer recommendations. Just the day bedore, a young couple called me and asked me to send any work I could their way as they were ready to lose their farm. I put the two together, the roofer does wonderful work, the client could get it done right away. It was so disappointing to learn that the client asked the roofer to take less money than he normally charges. The client could afford to pay the regular rate. but, I think he saw the situation of the young roofer, knew they needed the money, and absolutely short changed the young couple.

If I saw the people were in need, I may suggest they raise their asking price and offer some ways to help market the camper.
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:02 PM   #19
Trailer: 2005 Tab
As I see it no-one has raised the question of "why the low price?" is the seller the legal owner????

Any time I have seen something that seems 'too good to be true' it seems there is a good chance that there is a reason. (other than a feeble mind)

Ken D.
Ken D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #20
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I would simply pay the asking price. It would not be worth the stress and perhaps later regrets to pursue a lower price, but at the same time I would certainly regret offering a higher price then finding later that there was a good reason (such as that hidden problem mentioned earlier) for the "low" price.

The eBay comparison means little to me. There is a huge difference between taking immediate cash in a certain personal sale, and going through the processes of both an auction sale and an on-line transaction. Personally, I have never purchased through eBay, and have never considered selling that way, but I'm glad that it works so well for others. The seller may well have decided that the potential price difference is not worthwhile, and it is not my place to try to override that decision.

Without a personal relationship with the seller, I have no reason to think that anything I might say about potential eBay values would be welcome.

I did pay substantially less for my trailer than local advertised asking prices for the same model; we offered $200 over the asking price to beat another offer, but it was still not much more than half of the asking price for generally comparable units.

I realized that the owner had priced low for a quick sale because they had already purchased the replacement and was short of cash. I certainly did not take any advantage since they seller was well aware of market values, and the trailer I later realized (as I suspected) that it did have more than one flaw which they did not reveal (including some which they may not have been aware of). I have no regrets with the way we handled the purchase.
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:14 PM   #21
Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe

What a great thread. I remember when I was about 11 years old...a paper boy...5:30 in the morning and I noticed a coke machine in a filling station lot had the change drawer open...easy money...what to do...a block away warm donuts waiting for me at the bakery If I had a few dimes...

Where is this $950.00 trailer????

(just kidding...and yes, I did the wrong thing and have learned from my mistakes...)

I have found so many times in life that if people get to know you they would rather sell to you at a cheaper price knowing you will love and cherish what they can no longer keep up...(AKA my grandmom's 72 Buick...but that is another story)

Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:12 PM   #22
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
I would suggest you "negotiate" not to get a lower price, but to develop a relationship with the vendor.

For example, what else does he (or she) have tucked away that he won't sell as part of a package for only $950, but that maybe you would like, too, for a price.

Also, is he going to suffer Sellers Remorse and change his mind before he cashes the cheque? Is there something he needs to talk about first?

Do you want to get to know this fella, in case there's a part missing he may have, or do you just want to take the fgrv and run?

There could be an interesting story here. Or just someone who is tired and wants it sold quick, knowing it is underpriced, but willing to sacrifice cash to avoid the hassle of negotiating.

CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #23
Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I'd offer him 850.00. I must be really awful. It's part of my upbringing to try to bargin! Plus like Charlynn says it gets a conversation going.
1979 Boler B1300 | 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | We officially have a collection!
Lizbeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:57 PM   #24
Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
If its a marriage conflict and I wanted to keep my wife I would tell him to put the thing on ebay and then put my bid in for what both of us (wife and I) were willing to pay for it and sit back and wait. The person gets what ever it brings, if you win it no problem, if you loose it you keep on looking. By the way, did you ask him if it had a clear title

Love being Inneggsile
heading sloowly up the eastcoast to our next 2 month (Aug and Sept) camp hosting gig at Camden Hills State Park in Maine
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote