current tags/registration - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-26-2012, 01:15 AM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Floyd in Canada the trailer needs to have its own registration papers and plates and yearly insurance tags on it - all separate from the tow vehicle(its own insurance as well) - .
Ok need to clarify the above - just received a pm from BP and he says that in Alberta everything I said about how the system works is the same but in Alberta trailers do not need seperate insurance - sorry I should have clarified that each province is different in regrads to whether or not it requires its own insurance policy.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I did find out that I can obtain a 3 day temporary transit tag from Washington STate that I can put on my trailer upon import from Canada to drive in Washington State. That will at least get me 1/2 way home with a tag on the vehicle.

On another forum, a PA resident had so much trouble trying to register an old camper that he registered it in Maine, either online or by mail, and said it was very easy. A few others have done so too. You'll see many big freight trailers with Maine tags.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #17

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
I did find out that I can obtain a 3 day temporary transit tag from Washington STate that I can put on my trailer upon import from Canada to drive in Washington State. That will at least get me 1/2 way home with a tag on the vehicle.
Jim,
Will your state DMV provide you with a "temp tag" prior to your leaving to go pick up the trailer ?
Here in Missouri, if you can provide MSO and bill of sale documents, you can pay a small fee and get a 30 day paper tag. Perhaps you can get copies of those documents faxed to you from Escape a few days prior to heading out, and pay a visit to your local DMV ?

In a general sense regarding driving without trailer tags, I have only been pulled over one time in my life for that. When I explained to the policeman that I had just bought the trailer, and showed him the title, and dated ( and notorized ) bill of sale, he was satisfied that it was all legit, and let me go on my way.

I would assume you are going to have proof of insurance too. It's been my experience that when you are demonstrating that you are in fact a responsible person with lots of paperwork, then 'officials' are a whole lot more accommodating !

However, as we all know, the world changed after 9-11, so of course crossing from Canada to the US is probably a different story. A person better have all of his/her ducks in a row, or you could have issues.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #18

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1984 FiberStream
Pennsylvania
Registry
I am from
PA and bought my trailer in OR. Having it registered was a road block only because there wasnt a vin # on the trailer or frame anywhere. The answer was to have the privipus owner and myself in person at the DMV on PA- which obviously wasnt an optipn. You can get a stamp set and stamp the Vin # yourself, trace it, and take that to the DMV for registration.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Jim, I also had to get temp permits for the states I traveled through when I purchased my car & trailer in the US to get them home to Canada. Its a no no to show up at the border with plates from another car or trailer on them prior to there being formally imported - applies going both directions.

Out of curiosity where you ever able to find out through the Escape forum if anyone from the US had actually been able to get at temp permit from ICBC (the Insurance Corp. of BC)?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post

I would assume you are going to have proof of insurance too. It's been my experience that when you are demonstrating that you are in fact a responsible person with lots of paperwork, then 'officials' are a whole lot more accommodating !

However, as we all know, the world changed after 9-11, so of course crossing from Canada to the US is probably a different story. A person better have all of his/her ducks in a row, or you could have issues.
My experience has been that the border folks dont actually ask to see your insurance papers when you go through -they only ask to see the paper work required for the import process and insurance isnt on the list of paper work they need to see for that, going in either direction. That's not to say it couldn't happen though ;-)) I do know though that Canada & the US do not like to see plates from another car or trailer on anything that has not yet gone through the import process.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Jim, I also had to get temp permits for the states I traveled through when I purchased my car & trailer in the US to get them home to Canada. Its a no no to show up at the border with plates from another car or trailer on them prior to there being formally imported - applies going both directions.

Out of curiosity where you ever able to find out through the Escape forum if anyone from the US had actually been able to get at temp permit from ICBC (the Insurance Corp. of BC)?
I'm only sticking with Washington temp tags for several reasons, not every state issue them and I do not know which states I'll be returning thru. Yes I spoke with ICBC and they will issue a 24 hour insurance for like $25 because basically US insurance is not good in US?
Either way there is an office in Chilliwack and I'm sure Tammy or Reace can help me with that hurdle. I'm planning on arriving late Monday, the day it is expected to be completed and staying there mon and tuesday to test everything. Wed morning I head home and once in states will put on the Washington temp tag and start driving/camping 4 days/nights til Sunday arrival back in Pa.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #22

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'll have all my paper work and a valid insurance paid in full policy for both truck and new trailer. My passport and there is something about a "speed pass" type of passport addendum you can obtain that more or less they wave you thru? Anyone familiar with these? I guess it is for commuters who cross daily?
I will have with me my old trailer unexpired tags and registration, not mounted on the trailer but lying inside, in case some trooper says I must have tags to drive thru their state. Oh, and the temporary Washington State permit to mount in the back window.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #23

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1984 FiberStream
Pennsylvania
Registry
Interesting...I was actually gping to start a new forum topic on insuring fgrv. I thought, here in PA- the fgrv is lessvthan 3,000 lbs. It does not to be inspected. And since its attached to my tow vehicle, I assumed it is insured. No?
Old 05-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Yes I spoke with ICBC and they will issue a 24 hour insurance for like $25 because basically US insurance is not good in US?
I dont believe the issue is that your US insurance isn't any good :-) I suspect its actually because in BC you can not drive or tow anything without it having a licence plate with current insurance tags on it or a temp permit in the rear window. As your trailer will not have gone through the import process yet it will not have any plates on it (you cant legally put plates on it before you import it properly). In BC the trailers must have there own plates and insurance (totally separate from the tow vehicle) or temp permit which must be a min. of:
$150,000 per person for medical and rehabilitation costs
$200,000 for damages claimed by others, and
$1 million per person if the at-fault motorist is under-insured.

The good news is that its a rare occasion that anyone ever has to deal with being hit by a BC resident that doesn't have enough insurance to cover your damages. The highway patrols are *very fast* at pulling anyone over who does not have current insurance tags on their car or trailer (they are color coded so they can spot an expired tag fast) & the fine for driving without insurance is $598 no questions asked!
Old 05-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #25

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndivg11 View Post
Interesting...I was actually gping to start a new forum topic on insuring fgrv. I thought, here in PA- the fgrv is lessvthan 3,000 lbs. It does not to be inspected. And since its attached to my tow vehicle, I assumed it is insured. No?
We are addressing the registration and obtaining plates. I assume you already have those. Inspection is another whole topic, which I believe here in Pa., if less than 3000# you do not need to have done. Insurance, another issue, is not automatic. Your assumption may not cover any damage, theft, nor liability in an accident due to the rv. I purchase a separate rv policy for my rv here in Pa, about $150/year for that coverage plus insurance for my tow vehicle, another policy another $400/year
Old 05-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #26

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
I dont believe the issue is that your US insurance isn't any good :-) I suspect its actually because in BC you can not drive or tow anything without it having a licence plate with current insurance tags on it or a temp permit in the rear window. As your trailer will not have gone through the import process yet it will not have any plates on it (you cant legally put plates on it before you import it properly). In BC the trailers must have there own plates and insurance (totally separate from the tow vehicle) or temp permit which must be a min. of:
$150,000 per person for medical and rehabilitation costs
$200,000 for damages claimed by others, and
$1 million per person if the at-fault motorist is under-insured.

The good news is that its a rare occasion that anyone ever has to deal with being hit by a BC resident that doesn't have enough insurance to cover your damages. The highway patrols are *very fast* at pulling anyone over who does not have current insurance tags on their car or trailer (they are color coded so they can spot an expired tag fast) & the fine for driving without insurance is $598 no questions asked!
Good to know, I'll get the one day coverage to get me back to the border, legally.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #27

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I'll have all my paper work and a valid insurance paid in full policy for both truck and new trailer. My passport and there is something about a "speed pass" type of passport addendum you can obtain that more or less they wave you thru? Anyone familiar with these? I guess it is for commuters who cross daily?
Jim the speed pass is used by people who frequently cross the border -you need to apply for it and pay a extra fee for it and go through a secondary level of security check - there is a dedicated Speed pass express lane at the border & you just flash the speed pass at the computer and it lets you through without having to talk to anyone at the booth - Sometimes!
Its random - there is someone at the booth you go by and they can & will stop you and double check you. Last week-end the speed pass lane was backed up further than the regular lane so it wasnt any faster.... go figure.

As you are importing a trailer you would not be able to use the speed pass regardless.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #28

Pennsylvania
Registry
Some great information, skip the speed pass but get the one day ICBC permit.