Dealers drop the ball on RV service Part 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-14-2016, 04:18 PM   #1

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Dealers drop the ball on RV service Part 4

Looks like direct to customer sales that is pervasive in the fiberglass trailer industry may not be so bad as long as you have no problems.

RV Industry Death Spiral – Part 4: Dealers drop the ball on service | RV Daily Report
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
That is exactly the reason I would never let anyone else work on my stuff. And why should I pay somebody else to do what I can do better and correctly. Not bragging, but I would have to say that what I forgot about fixing boats and trailers, most of these people have never even learned yet. There are many incompetent, inexperienced and untrained people working for these "fix it shops" that don't have a clue. But they sure like to think they're the greatest thing when they hand you their ridiculous repair bills for the shoddy work they did and got away with.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Not everyone has your skill set, Greg. And folks buying brand new products generally have an expectation that they won't be turning a wrench to make repairs in the first months of ownership, at least.

The direct-sale model of the molded fiberglass segment has this in its favor: you can choose your own poison... err... repair shop... for warranty work. It's more trouble than a simple return to a dealer- you have to contact the manufacturer and they have to authorize the work. But based on posts by buyers of new MFRVs, the system does generally work as intended with most well-established manufacturers. I do know a very skilled RV tech in my area. Not a dealer. Not cheap, either, but does correct and neat work.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Perhaps I'm painting with too broad a brush. I know that folks like you, and Larry and Debbi Gamble, and the folks at OMW, just to name a few, do really great work. It is unfair to lump every repair shop in one pot. But, that said, and I'm sure that you also know since you work in the industry, that you've probably come across all manner of improperly done shoddy and questionable work that has come through your doors for a real fix.

I realize that not everyone who owns an RV has a well rounded background in, or understanding of, the various components and systems on board their rigs and the correct ways to repair various problems that may arise. What I find irritating is that there are so many "predatory repair shops" out there who just love to take advantage of such folks.

But, on the upside, the nice thing about these forums is having a handy reference resource for those who participate, by offering up our combined talents, experience and lessons learned, which are freely available for the asking, to impart needed assistance to those members with problems or questions.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

I agree, Greg. The information I glean here helps me decide when it's worth giving the wrench a turn myself and when to take it to the shop. Even when I use professional services, it sure helps to be able to demonstrate basic knowledge of the issues and terminology and to ask intelligent questions. I like to think it makes me less vulnerable to "predatory" shops.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:41 PM   #6

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Everything Greg said....

and on top of that it's a hobby in itself to figure out/fix and even sometimes improve the systems in your own RV.....it's fun plain and simple...

Some say that you are literally risking life and limb by doing work yourself.... I too have worked on boats and trailers and like most people I have a gas/CO detector, fire extinghisher, escape hatch and insurance!!! talk about your "belt and suspenders" !
Attached Thumbnails
wossa.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote