DMV changed my trailer weight....??? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
lifetime reqistration for trailers in only apply to under 3000 pound utility, boat trailers, basically if you can live in it it is licenced as a rv, as for why he changed the weight rating dont have a clue, only in Minnesota!!!!

Old 04-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
While the DMV clerk may have all the best intentions, he's actually giving you carte blanche to overload it?
If someone brought in a trailer legitimately intended to handle 3000 pounds, but with inadequate structure and running gear, would anyone in the DMV examine it and either refuse to register it or certify that it is capable of handling that weight? My guess is "not a chance".
I believe that licensed weight is relevant only to licensing, not safe operation or liability.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #17

Name: Chris
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
So i took the SD title in on the scamp to get a MN title for it. The SD title said 1000 pounds. The copy of the previous IA title said 1000 pounds. The deputy registrar said that would be an empty weight and i needed to estimate a fully loaded weight to put on the title....he asked if i figured it be over 1500. Knowing the trailer weighs closer to 1250 i told him it probably would....so he changed the weight on the title to 3000 pounds???? ?
I bought my 13' Scamp in Maryland and the weight in the registration is also 3000lbs. When I registered it in PA I mentioned that this does not match the VIN plaque but they wouldn't want to change it.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #18

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Minnesota! Uff da!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
BTW: HI CRICKET... we SEE you know!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #20

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Having licensed a couple of homebuilt utility trailers in Minnesota, yes they just took my word for what i had, no inspections, for all as they knew could had a 30ft gooseneck trailer rather than a 6x8
Old 04-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #21

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
It seams to me that all DMV personnel must attend the same training.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #22

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
I emailed (so i have a paper trail) the main dmv office. I explained what happened and requested it be fixed before the title gets issued. I told them i did not wish to return to the same registrar because he didn't listen to me in the first place and treated me like i was stupid....we will see what happens....
Old 04-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #23

Minnesota
Darwin.....i think you are right! They emailed back a completely non-relevant answer....i can tell this might take awhile. Would be easier on the phone, but then i would have no record of their reply!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Well you would have a record of their response, once you get the title corrected
Old 04-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #25

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Wouldn't a phone call to Scamp settle the weight issue. Manufacturers should have both dry weight and cargo weight for their trailers, even if it means just quoting the current specs for a 13' Scamp.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #26

Name: Tim
Trailer: Homebuilt Teardrop
Minnesota
Do you have trailer brakes on your camper? Minnesota law says that trailers that have 3000# GVW or more REQUIRE trailer brakes.

"A trailer with a gross weight of 3000 lbs, GVW or more, or a gross weight that exceeds the empty weight of the towing vehicle, must be equipped with brakes that can adequately control the movement of and stop and hold the trailer."
Old 04-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #27

Minnesota
It does have brakes....the tow vehicle doesn't have a controller, but the brakes are there. The DMV said i could change it after i got the title....but they won't waive the fee since they have no way of really knowing what happened. So i can get it fixed, but as is seemingly to be more and more common, i will have to pay for someone elses mistake. I plan to get it weighed so i can present proof that it is way too high.....
Old 04-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #28

Name: Tim
Trailer: Homebuilt Teardrop
Minnesota
Without a brake controller the police can give you a ticket as long as it's registered for 3000#. I'm glad I went to a small town registrar. They told me that since my camper wasn't self contained (no bathroom or full kitchen) I could get a lifetime registration as a utility trailer. They gave me a sticker to put on my tongue and I never have to pay for another thing. No annual fees.