DMV changed my trailer weight....??? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #43
Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Registration paperwork has been changed. However, the plan is to get the brake controller installed anyway. Thanks for your help and opinions everyone!

Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #44
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
It's a shame you had to go through this drill. Happy it worked out.

Here is what the State of Virginia states:

GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is assigned by the manufacture, it is the total weight of the vehicle, passengers, optional components, and cargo that the vehicle is designed to carry.

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #45
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Originally Posted by TPMcGinty View Post
My point is if a policeman pulls her over he is going to look at the registration. If it says that the trailer is registered for 3000# he is going to believe the registration. He may or may not believe her that it weighs less than 3000# and he is definitely not going to waste his time actually weighing the camper in order to prove the registration is wrong..
The registration isn't (now wasn't) wrong - it doesn't say what the trailer weighs. He could write a ticket assuming that the trailer weighs exactly 3000 pounds (one pound less and the brakes are not required, one pound more and he should write an over-allowed-weight ticket), but I don't think he's going to waste his time doing that, either.

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote