DMV changed my trailer weight....??? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #21

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
It seams to me that all DMV personnel must attend the same training.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #22

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
I emailed (so i have a paper trail) the main dmv office. I explained what happened and requested it be fixed before the title gets issued. I told them i did not wish to return to the same registrar because he didn't listen to me in the first place and treated me like i was stupid....we will see what happens....
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #23

Minnesota
Darwin.....i think you are right! They emailed back a completely non-relevant answer....i can tell this might take awhile. Would be easier on the phone, but then i would have no record of their reply!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Well you would have a record of their response, once you get the title corrected
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #25

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Wouldn't a phone call to Scamp settle the weight issue. Manufacturers should have both dry weight and cargo weight for their trailers, even if it means just quoting the current specs for a 13' Scamp.
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #26

Name: Tim
Trailer: Homebuilt Teardrop
Minnesota
Do you have trailer brakes on your camper? Minnesota law says that trailers that have 3000# GVW or more REQUIRE trailer brakes.

"A trailer with a gross weight of 3000 lbs, GVW or more, or a gross weight that exceeds the empty weight of the towing vehicle, must be equipped with brakes that can adequately control the movement of and stop and hold the trailer."
TPMcGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #27

Minnesota
It does have brakes....the tow vehicle doesn't have a controller, but the brakes are there. The DMV said i could change it after i got the title....but they won't waive the fee since they have no way of really knowing what happened. So i can get it fixed, but as is seemingly to be more and more common, i will have to pay for someone elses mistake. I plan to get it weighed so i can present proof that it is way too high.....
Old 04-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #28

Minnesota
Without a brake controller the police can give you a ticket as long as it's registered for 3000#. I'm glad I went to a small town registrar. They told me that since my camper wasn't self contained (no bathroom or full kitchen) I could get a lifetime registration as a utility trailer. They gave me a sticker to put on my tongue and I never have to pay for another thing. No annual fees.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #29

Minnesota
I guess there are some exemptions for bumper pull travel trailers being towed by an automobile (not including pick-ups). Either way, i am getting it weighed tonight and going in tomorrow to make sure it gets changed......
Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #30

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Either way, i am getting it weighed tonight and going in tomorrow to make sure it gets changed......
Good for you Cricket Even if DMV doesn't change anything, it's smart YOU'LL know what YOUR trailer weighs
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #31

Minnesota
Got the title application pulled at the DMV, so it will not be processed until it is fixed...but i have to wait for the original guy that filled it out to get back from vacation next wednesday to do it. Weighed it this morning and as suspected it is well under 1500 pounds......so....thanks for your help....we will see how mad the guy is when he comes back from vacation!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #32

It's a shame you have to deal with the same person. Is there any way around that?
He should be able to Show You In Writing (The rulebook) where he has the authority to change the weight. I would ask for his supervisor to be present when you do the discussions and I would have someone with me for support.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #33

Minnesota
The guy i am dealing with is the supervisor at that office. I am not generally easily pushed around once i make up my mind i want something done. He probably won't be happy, but i think it'll get changed.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #34

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD
Duluth,Minnesota
I just pulled out my title for my 17' Casita with a bathroom registered here in Minnesota and it is at 3000#. A 13' Scamp without a bathroom should not be registered at over 1500# tax base. A higher tax base just means that you have to pay more for your license tabs every year. You should win this one since your right and he's wrong- end of story!
Randy Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #35

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My 16 ft Scamp SD trailer which is registered at 3000 Lbs (Minnesota) Cost $13.00 for the yearly license tabs . Would you really be saving any money at 1500 Lbs on tabs ?
My son built a trailer for hunting (Sleeping ,cooking only NO bath) and when he registered it the weight was set at 3000 lbs by the county registrar, there was no choice or discussion . What are we attempting to gain by lowering the registered weight to 1500 lbs ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #36

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
It's a shame you have to deal with the same person. Is there any way around that?
He should be able to Show You In Writing (The rulebook) where he has the authority to change the weight. I would ask for his supervisor to be present when you do the discussions and I would have someone with me for support

The guy i am dealing with is the supervisor at that office. I am not generally easily pushed around once i make up my mind i want something done. He probably won't be happy, but i think it'll get changed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

You know this is a very crazy happening.....I think that i would have him show me the rule book ....I would ask for someone to be present and I would take someone with me for support. With phones the way they are today I would have the person with me video the whole thing,then I would go home and down load it to my computer & a zip drive to keep with my title,just in case there was another problem later.

I did not use to be like that about something,but the older I get the more it seems like people want to push me around because I am female or a senior citizen.Maybe push me around is not the right word maybe they just assume I am "a crazy ole woman,that doesn't know much"

Hope you get it worked out,sometimes it is not always about the money,but about doing the right thing.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #37

If it's the law so B it. If it Aint, then its bullying.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #38
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
It's called crossing the T's and dotting the i's. It may not mean anything to you but at the end of your ownership it could make the next owners life a lot easier. Good for you, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #39

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPMcGinty View Post
Without a brake controller the police can give you a ticket as long as it's registered for 3000#.
The "brakes required" clause doesn't really matter in this case, since the Scamp already has them. Many jurisdictions require mfr. installed brakes on any trailer (regardless of size) to be active when the trailer's under tow.

Anyone towing this trailer without a brake controller is in danger of getting a ticket, and it doesn't matter what weight is given on the registration/Title.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #40

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
The "brakes required" clause doesn't really matter in this case, since the Scamp already has them. Many jurisdictions require mfr. installed brakes on any trailer (regardless of size) to be active when the trailer's under tow.

Anyone towing this trailer without a brake controller is in danger of getting a ticket, and it doesn't matter what weight is given on the registration/Title.

Francesca
In Minnesota if she is under 3000# then she doesn't have to use them even if they are installed on the trailer. Since MN registered her trailer AT 3000#, she is required by law to have AND use trailer brakes. If the police pull her over and look at her registration, she will get a ticket.