Do I need a Vin? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #15

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Agree, and since the VIN spot is blank, honestly, they will have to go through it regardless of if they stamp it on or not....however, stamping the serial number isn't a bad idea and might work. I'm on Colorado and have done a missing vin trailer registration...the state patrol asked why I hadn't just stamped the number from the title on. (See above for crappy DMV clerk).

Regardless, it's not that much more work than doing a regular out of state registration here (which is its own can of worms).

My scamp's serial number is it's vin; it just happens to be already stamped on the dram, and listed as the vin on the out of state title.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:34 AM   #16

Name: Nicole
Trailer: Eco
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Here is the form for obtaining a replacement VIN in Colorado. Phone number is at the bottom of the form. You can call if you have any questions about what to do, that is what it says

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sit...les/DR2408.pdf
Thank you K Corbin!! I will do this!

Old 07-17-2016, 12:36 AM   #17

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
Agree, and since the VIN spot is blank, honestly, they will have to go through it regardless of if they stamp it on or not....however, stamping the serial number isn't a bad idea and might work. I'm on Colorado and have done a missing vin trailer registration...the state patrol asked why I hadn't just stamped the number from the title on. (See above for crappy DMV clerk).

Regardless, it's not that much more work than doing a regular out of state registration here (which is its own can of worms).

My scamp's serial number is it's vin; it just happens to be already stamped on the dram, and listed as the vin on the out of state title.
See ours has a serial number. Clearly printed. But they supposedly won't give us a title unless we have a vin and not a serial.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:39 AM   #18

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
The current 17 character VIN number system went in to effect in 1981. Before that there was no standard system so a serial number or other ID number from the manufacturer was used for a title or registration. Some trailers, in some states do not require a title. In NY our 1946 teardrop has only a registration, no title, but our '84 Uhaul and '96 Casita have titles
Ours is a '74. So do I need to get a new vin or would serial number work? Because it has the serial number on the tongue.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:44 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningSchubarth View Post
Ours is a '74. So do I need to get a new vin or would serial number work? Because it has the serial number on the tongue.

Posts 13 & 15 give you the answers and Jen is even in your state and went through the same problem. If the builder didn't add a VIN till years after your build use the serial # you have. If they question it give them Floyds reference for how it was done back then and let them prove it different. Not any different than registering a car with the shorter VIN #s....they don't make you get the longer one. I think you'll be squared away in 10 minutes.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:18 AM   #20

Colorado
Registry
Your problem is that the title has a blank spot where the VIN is. That's the issue. If the previous state had put the serial #in where the vin goes, there would be no issue. But....the people who work at the DMV are very exact rule bound in my experience...with my scamp I had to drive back 25 minutes to the scale operator and get the weight entered on a slightly different form than they had given me to get it registered. :/

Really, doing the replacement VIN isn't much more work than a standard out of state titling of s trailer....some help that isn't listed on the forms....you need to do the weight FIRST, THEN go to the state patrol for the "VIN inspection" they make you do, THEN the DMV. If your DMV has decent lines unlike weld county (3 hours!!), you might talk to them first to get the exact forms....
Old 07-17-2016, 04:26 PM   #21

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Excellent suggestion, and it's my understanding that it's perfectly legal.

Years ago I bought a boat out of state and had to take the boat trailer to the Washington State Patrol for an inspection. The officer matched the
number on the trailer to the title and then, he told me that boat trailers are one of the most frequently stolen "vehicles" . The officer suggested I stamp the VIN number on the trailer in as many places as possible to discourage thieves. I've always followed his advice.
It already has the serial number on it.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #22

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
Your problem is that the title has a blank spot where the VIN is. That's the issue. If the previous state had put the serial #in where the vin goes, there would be no issue. But....the people who work at the DMV are very exact rule bound in my experience...with my scamp I had to drive back 25 minutes to the scale operator and get the weight entered on a slightly different form than they had given me to get it registered. :/

Really, doing the replacement VIN isn't much more work than a standard out of state titling of s trailer....some help that isn't listed on the forms....you need to do the weight FIRST, THEN go to the state patrol for the "VIN inspection" they make you do, THEN the DMV. If your DMV has decent lines unlike weld county (3 hours!!), you might talk to them first to get the exact forms....
It is from Co. So, I don't need any out of state work. I have a serial number on the tongue but no vin.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:19 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
It is from Co. So, I don't need any out of state work. I have a serial number on the tongue but no vin.
Post 13, the serial # is your VIN, that's how it was done for the age of your TT.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:32 PM   #24

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Oh, huh. With having problems, I assumed it was an out of state title. If the title is already a Colorado title, there shouldn't be a problem...Have you tried taking it in? Go to a different office in your county if you did...our scamp has just a serial on the tongue and it is it's VIN also by default...we registered an old pop up turned into utility from a co title that had only a serial number with no issues-not sure if the serial was typed into the VIN space, though. Still seems like that may have been where the original registration went wrong and what is causing you problems, if you've been in and had problems.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:33 PM   #25

Colorado
Registry
And the way to get a VINis jyst what I described above.

Tags
vin