Dumb, Dumb, Help Needed Seattle! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #21

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
No, we were really helpful and went to a branch of Wells Fargo in the States and deposited cash direct to his account!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
No, we were really helpful and went to a branch of Wells Fargo in the States and deposited cash direct to his account!
OK so it was a US Bank involved a US Seller, the trailer is in the US so why would the Police say you should file the complaint in Canada? Makes zero sense.... I would call back.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #23

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Usually you have to appear in person to file a complaint. By filing it locally in Canada it can be forwarded to Seattle PD without an in person appearance. As an alternative, it can be filed with other docs that will require a lawyer to complete, not a good deal for a $500 loss.

Contrary to a few other posts, most ads on C/L are valid, placed by basically honest (if not always smart) sellers. About the worst cases are over-hyping of an item and/or outright lies, but that's what one should expect at a Used Car lot, so why not on a public selling forum.

Admittedly I have spotted and passed on a few obvious scammers, but they are usually so obvious that it's hard to miss. They are usually offering something as a bargain and a buyer, seeing an opportunity to take advantage of a "Dumb" seller, bites and gets hooked.

Of the 50 or so purchases (at least 10 FGRV's) I have made on Craig's list, about the worst thing that ever happened was a seller that sold a Scamp out from under me while I was driving some 325 miles to look and buy.

You don't have to be afraid to shop on Craigslist, just shop carefully.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #24

British Columbia
Yes, they said the victim needs to go into their local station to file a complaint.

I feel that I am a pretty cautious Craigslist buyer and this certainly did not have 'scam' written all over it. I almost wonder if when the seller saw how popular it was then thought he could make a little extra money over and above selling it. Probably couldn't believe his luck when I offered to send the deposit
Old 04-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

Contrary to a few other posts, most ads on C/L are valid, placed by basically honest (if not always smart) sellers. About the worst cases are over-hyping of an item and/or outright lies, but that's what one should expect at a Used Car lot, so why not on a public selling forum.

<cut>

You don't have to be afraid to shop on Craigslist, just shop carefully.
I am in the process of attempting to cut down on STUFF in my home with the intent of downsizing sometime in the not to distant future. As a result I have sold a *lot* of stuff on Craigslist in the past few months. Don't think any of the buyers felt taken or at least by the smiles on their faces leaving with their new to them goods they sure didn't seem to.

I suspect given the volume of goods that sell via Craigslist in NA on any given day that the volume of scammers is probable fairly low.

I also purchased my trailer on a long distant deal, cross border shopping via Craigslist and couldn't have found a nicer trailer for the money or a more honest seller.

But as always its buyer beware when buying used goods -especially ones of high value.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #26

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I, too, have been using Craigslist extensively to get rid of things as I downsize. (Mostly free- biggest problem has been no-shows with those.) That and insistence that I should text them even though I said I don't text. But overall I've had good experiences- and I AM careful. Free stuff I'll leave outside so they don't need to know when I'm not home. Sold stuff- transaction done on the porch (nothing huge.)

I also bought my trailer off Craigslist, two states away, but had my bil go buy it for me. No deposit- he took cash and after consulting on the phone with me as to condition, paid on the spot and drove it away. I'm sure grateful he was there to do that for me.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #27

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Yes, they said the victim needs to go into their local station to file a complaint.

I feel that I am a pretty cautious Craigslist buyer and this certainly did not have 'scam' written all over it. I almost wonder if when the seller saw how popular it was then thought he could make a little extra money over and above selling it. Probably couldn't believe his luck when I offered to send the deposit
I am betting this guy knew exactly what he was doing........depositing money into somebody's account is NEVER a good idea without the product in hand. There are thousands of these stories out there........unfortunately it happens everyday. Often times......the actual product doesn't even exist......just a picture. Sorry for your loss.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #28

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Although this is hindsight for you kootenaigirl, it may help others in the future.

Many members here will go look at a trailer in their area for someone that lives out of town. I've confirmed the existance of a trailer using google maps, both sattelite and street view. I've also paid a garage (local to the seller) to do a quick roadworthy inspection by having the seller drive the trailer over. It does not have to be an RV shop to tell if the lights and brakes work, the frame and coupler are all intact.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #29

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
We have all made dumb mistakes.
Like they say "LIVE AND LEARN"
Don't give up trying to get your money back.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #30

British Columbia
Yes, that is a good idea Roy unfortunately in this case it wouldn't have helped as they would have seen the trailer, I would have sent the deposit and he would then have sold it to someone else!

I think the moral of the story is no matter how nice someone sounds don't send money ahead of time, Unfortunately for people who live in rural areas that may mean you wait a long time for a trailer to show up. The closest trailer I have bought was a 3 1/2 hour drive (my current trailer was a 10 hour drive) Unless you connect with a nice seller in a hot market most people sell to whoever arrives first with the cash.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Yes, that is a good idea Roy unfortunately in this case it wouldn't have helped as they would have seen the trailer, I would have sent the deposit and he would then have sold it to someone else!
Hindsight is a wonderful thing! Cant tell you how many times I have said to myself over the years "should have"! LOL

Something that a number of my friends have done when looking for a trailer or something trailer related is to post to their Facebook a request for one of their friends who may live close to the area the trailer is to go take a look at it for them and confirm its as advertised when dealing with long distant transactions. That is assuming of course that your FB friends are in fact real friends. Or send a PM via this forum to someone you trust to not buy out from under you. They may not be able to do it but they may know of another member here who they can ask and be trusted not to scoop you if it turns out to be a good find. One of the great things about attending fiberglass trailer meets is you do get to meet a number of the regular contributors to this forum and get a good idea as to who to ask and not ask!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Thumbs down Scams

We are involved in a fraud.
My wife received a letter from the IRS addressed to her and another, unknown, woman asking for more information on the return she had filed.
The thing was, we had not filed our return at that time.
Calling the IRS, we asked about my name and found out that "I" had also filed along with some other person's name and that mine was paid by direct deposit.
Then we got a "refund check" sent to our address only with two other names on it. It supposedly was from Citizens Bank in La Jolla, CA.
There are people out there whose work is to defraud other persons.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #33

British Columbia
Roger - that is awful, hope you get it all sorted out.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:13 PM   #34

British Columbia
Update

Well, took a bit of sorting out as to which police department would take my complaint, went from Seattle to BC to Idaho and back to Seattle again! Meanwhile the 'scammer' kept calling with sob stories which totally perplexed us, felt like saying you scammed us why are you still calling, we are not friends
Anyway got a nice cop who got straight on it and didn't laugh at my stupidity! He called the scammer first thing yesterday am and suggested he sort it out with me or the police would sort it out. Scammer called all apologetic last night and deposited the money back to me today
Unfortunately the guy who bought the trailer is finding it is in a lot worse shape than he initially thought but he is handy and working through the issues one at a time.
Moral of the story - don't send a deposit in advance for a trailer as they may sell it to someone else and try and keep your deposit
Thanks for all your responses and at least it was a happy ending.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #35

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Thanks for letting us know how it worked out. Always nice to find a helpful member of the law enforcement community. They seem to get entirely different response than ordinary folks.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #36

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks for sharing your story KG.
I'm sorry to hear you had so much stress, but I'm glad you got your money back!
Your story may help others in the future.
Phil
Old 04-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #37

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Thanks for the update. I've been following your story with great interest. Glad you got your money back.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #38

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
So glad it turned out with a great ending.
I love it when no matter how bad the experience
when it actually turns out for the best.

When we sold ours, the buyer kept offering to
make a deposit, but I kept refusing. I told them we
would settle up everything when they got here.
Which we did.

I like keeping it simple. And honest.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Scammer called all apologetic last night and deposited the money back to me today
Glad for you!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #40

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Does this mean the scammer has your bank information?
Maybe should speak to the bank to see if something needs
to be done for future protection.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote