Dumb, Dumb, Help Needed Seattle! - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #1

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Dumb, Dumb, Help Needed Seattle!

I had been looking for a Casita 13, lost out on a few as I lived too far way. Found one in Seattle (craigslist) and the price was reduced to around current market value $5500 they started off quite high. Called Friday and said would put a $500 deposit down until we could pick up next weekend. The guy gave us his bank account #, hubby went to branch of their US bank and deposited money which owner confirmed was in his account. Owner (stated title was in his name) said he would then send receipt, copy of title and take ad down.
After several phone calls to them Fri and Sat, answered with various excuses - not computer literate, waiting for daughter to take ad down etc, still no email with his contact info and trailer info.
My husband called last night and left a message and ad was taken down but no email. I called first thing today and left pleasant message, no response!

I am wondering if anyone else called, went to see or bought this 1996 Casita 13 and if so if they could PM me any info that might be helpful. The same cell # was used for a few other ads for cars and rv's all listed as sold. I have a copy of ad if needed.

I am presuming my money is long gone but thought I would post as it may help someone else not get into the same situation.
I have bought several fiberglass trailers and met many nice folks, guess my luck has ran out

Old 04-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
You need to report this to the local police in Seattle, then give the info number to your local police and with both of their interest conact the US Federal department as it is an internet crime in the US out of Country. One of those agencies should have the professional courtesy to assist.

You most likely won't get the trailer, but should get your money back.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #3

British Columbia
Yes, I will be reporting it, holding on to a slim hope that I can resolve it without having to go down that road
Old 04-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #4

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Ouch!! Do you not know anyone in the Seattle area who could go to his house and confirm the trailer is still there?

Hopefully he really is just simple computer challenged and waiting on his daughter to scan the papers etc for him...... there are still a few folks like that out there you know Hope for your sack he is simple just one of them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #5

British Columbia
Unfortunately he has never given me his address!

I just called and left another message but when we were doing the deal on Friday and even Saturday he always answered straight away now he never is.

Also the being computer challenged didn't seem to make a lot of sense when I saw he had several other rv's/ vehicles for sale in Craigslist. I know that for lots of people that can be an issue though

I am just hoping someone else answered the ad or went to see the trailer and can give me more information. Just kicking myself, should have not been so trusting,
Old 04-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Gotta tell ya.... For $500 it's going to be very difficult to get anyone's attention on an international scammer, much less get them to investigate when you don't even have an address. You might try KOMO-TV, I think they investigate scammers.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #7

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Unfortunately he has never given me his address!

Double Ouch!! Hang in there hopefully he will get back to you. Friday was a holiday and today unlike here it isn't in the US so perhaps he is at work thus the non response as yet....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Try:
Phone Number Location Lookup

You might get an address that way.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #9

Name: Keith
Trailer: Not yet
Florida
You have been scammed, it is very unfortunate but a very high amount of Craigslist offerings are scams. I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news but most police departments do not put too much effort into cases like this that have a very low solve-ability factor.

if you join Spokeo you maybe able to get hits on the phone and the forwarded email address he used to make the CL post.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
If it is a scam it is doubtful this is the only time this person has done it or you are the only person that has been snared. I would file a report with the police/authorities in the hopes that they can tie it into other cases. If the authorities can tie them to more than one crime they are less likely to be given a slap on the wrist. $500 is a cut off point for many state laws on larceny levels, over 500 is a more serious charge than 500 and under.

Criminals seem to forget that just like the squirrel that used to raid the bird feeder despite being chased by our dog several times they have to get away with it every time, dog only has to catch them once.

Save or print copies of any other ads from this seller to help with connecting any other illicit activities. Common phone number? Might be a burner cell phone or might not. Also contact Craig's list, not sure how much they will assist but you may be able to get some help. Or at least find out who the police you report it to should contact on their end.

It is possible the seller might have a higher offer pending and are stalling you to see if that offer works out.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #11

British Columbia
Just trying to get a hold of someone on the Casita forum who just bought the exact same trailer. However there was another 1996 for sale near Seattle recently so they could have bought that one.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #12

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
When I contact a CL seller about a trailer, the first thing I ask is, "What address can I see this at?" If they don't give an address in their reply, I smell a skunk... and they won't hear from me again.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #13

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Since you have their account number I would go to the bank and see if they can help since they were a party to the transfer of the funds.
Eddie
Old 04-21-2014, 07:24 PM   #14

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Have a friend make inquiry of the other RVs he had on CL. Have them ask for the address first.