Escape weight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi again,
I have another question about the Escape trailer, has anyone every taken theirs to be weighed since they purchased it? I was wondering what the real world weight would be with extras etc.
Rob
Rob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Hi again,
I have another question about the Escape trailer, has anyone every taken theirs to be weighed since they purchased it? I was wondering what the real world weight would be with extras etc.
Rob
I haven't, but I have wondered if you can just pull into a truck scale and get it done for free?

baglo
Old 08-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
That's what we did Glenn. We have several weighing stations on Vancouver Island so we stopped, weighed the car, drove forward, weighed the trailer on the hitch and then (because nobody else was using it) we popped off the trailer to check it by itself. Most of the time they are closed and trucks are supposed to do it themselves.

I know I have passed weighing stations on the #1 on the way to hope, not sure where around North Van they would be. Maybe toward the Ferry or out to Squamish?
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:57 PM   #4

Quote:
I haven't, but I have wondered if you can just pull into a truck scale and get it done for free?

baglo
Yes you can, we purchased our previous trailer in the USA, and part of the registration for Canada was that I needed it weighed here, so on the way home from the States we just stopped at a weigh station and had it done.
I have noticed that a lot of truck stops have weigh scales (for a fee) you could do it yourself.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #5

Quote:

baglo
I have stopped at more than one weight scale here in BC and requested the tape printout and they obliged by weighting the axles like the big rigs. I do this when they have no vehicles in the queue and even weighted the combo myself when no one was present, as the scales have been left on - all for free!

Rick B
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:35 AM   #6

I've weighed all my trailers I owned using the scales they provide, Alberta has a lot of self serve scales on the highways which is great (no one around). When I had the 13'Boler it weighed 1800 Pounds loaded!!
Old 08-21-2008, 08:32 AM   #7

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Oops, we are turning this thread into a 'How much did you weigh at the weigh station' when what Rob wants to know how much an Escape weights in the real world.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #8

Quote:

baglo
It looks like you might be the only one that is going to weight his Escape, keep me updated if/when you do, hopefully sooner than later.
Rob
Old 08-21-2008, 06:09 PM   #9

This info i stole from Escape Industries.
http://www.escapetrailer.com/Index.aspx?Page=FAQ#Weigh
Old 08-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #10

Quote:
This info i stole from Escape Industries.
http://www.escapetrailer.com/Index.aspx?Page=FAQ#Weigh
Yes I was reading that, but still wondered how accurate it was to one built and on the road. On a another fiberglass trailer site, a competitive trailer to the Escape is advertised to be 2400lb but now customers that purchased them are finding them to be closer to 4000lb
Old 08-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes I was reading that, but still wondered how accurate it was to one built and on the road. On a another fiberglass trailer site, a competitive trailer to the Escape is advertised to be 2400lb but now customers that purchased them are finding them to be closer to 4000lb
I can see a small difference from posted weights but to be 1600 lbs difference is unacceptable. Some thing wrong there.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
It looks like you might be the only one that is going to weight his Escape, keep me updated if/when you do, hopefully sooner than later.
Rob
I have no plans to remove the wine rack and bottles resting upon it, the Q and tank, bedding or any of the other stuff that I have installed or loaded. I was interested in how much the trailer weighs, loaded with my gear. I've tried to keep it as light as I can, but I loaded perfectly good stainless steel pots and pans ( a set that we had replaced ) instead of the tent-trailer's aluminum set and I'm going to replace the cheap non-stick fry-pan with a couple Calphalon fry-pans that weigh considerably more.

I have confidence that the dry-weight claimed by Escape is pretty accurate.

baglo
Old 08-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I've weighed all my trailers I owned using the scales they provide, Alberta has a lot of self serve scales on the highways which is great (no one around). When I had the 13'Boler it weighed 1800 Pounds loaded!!
Last time I weighed my 91Scamp13, all packed and ready to roll, it was about 1,750 lbs, which actually exceeded the original axle's GAWR of 1,600 lbs -- With new axle of GAWR 2,200 lbs, I am OK!

A friend of mine with an Avion 26' was taking stuf out and weighing it - The stuf in the spare linen drawer (sheets, pillowcases, etc.) weighed 40 lbs! What they were doing was taking their home habits on the road with them...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape, weighing, weight