Even the RV Industry Knows They Have PROBLEMS! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2016, 11:53 AM   #1

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Even the RV Industry Knows They Have PROBLEMS!

The real is question is WILL THEY DO ANTHYING ABOUT IT OTHER THAN TALK?????

Brian Wilkins: Time to Fix the Warranty Process? | RV Business
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:08 AM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post

We have a Fan-Tastic Vent fan that was bought more than 9 years ago by the previous, previous owner. When we tried to start it for the first time after eight months since we bought the trailer, it wouldn't work.

We called Fan-Tastic Vent and asked to buy replacement switches--they mailed them to us FREE within 3 days. When that didn't work, we called their tech help and they spent nearly an hour on the phone with Paul, finally deciding someone had blown the fuse by reversing the fan while the blades were still turning. So they sent us a new fuse (thingy) again, free, within three days. Paul installed it and it worked fine.

They were polite, nice, friendly, eager to help, and he didn't even have to wait on the phone to talk to a human being.

We've had such good customer service / repairs / replacement parts before...but not often!

So we really agree with the author of this piece; and for that reason alone, will buy a Fan-Tastic Vent fan when we need another one. They actually do care about our time, effort, money, and their reputation for customer service.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #3

Name: Deb
Trailer: Casita SD-17
Chicago, Illinois
Registry
I agree! Great customer service, #Fantastic Fan!
DebCost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:31 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post

Not unless it is actually killing people or causing pollution. Why would they want to do something that could cause their insurance rates to rise?
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:22 PM   #5

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
I called then and told them that my fan was making noise and they sent me a replacement within days. No questions asked. The new replacement works fine. A great company.
HiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #6

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
my fantastic fan was noisy as well - I tried everything - called them - they sent a new one out asap and all is well. I did not have to jump through any hoops either.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:24 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Not unless it is actually killing people or causing pollution. Why would they want to do something that could cause their insurance rates to rise?

Or cut into their profits?

Old 03-23-2017, 02:55 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Future Owner of a Molded 5th Wheel
Idaho
Not even if it is a major Problem or threat.
In our 3.5 on the road we seen 2 RVs go up in flames, because of those fridges. The new ones have a little safety switch that hopefully works.

Also long as people are so ..... I'll just leave it blank. Let me explain:
We where at a "RV Show" in Vegas (Ok was more the dealer moved their inventory to a new location) and just looking around. Found a 5th wheel with a unusual Floorplan (kitchen in the top part). So we are looking at it and all the broken stuff: Backsplash came off the wall laying over the sink, bathroom door wouldn't shut, some molding pieces laying on the floor 2' long. Then a couple walks in and in a loud voice was speaking her mind how great the unit it was and as she saw the Surround Sound she was over the top, he was ecstatic the the "SALE" was so great somewhere 80's down to only 63K. The Salesman was right behind them and the where already discussion payment option before we where out of the rig.
Unless the masses of Buyer's demand better quality / Service / Warranty nothing will change.

I won't even get started on the roofs. Seen and done plenty; in short
CamperLifestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:31 AM   #9

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifestyle View Post
I won't even get started on the roofs. Seen and done plenty; in short
When/if you get a molded fiberglass, your roof problems may be resolved!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:45 AM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Only if there are no holes (vents A/C, etc.) in the roof (and I have yet to see such a rig).

I had a heck of a time finding a leak in my new Scamp since the water would show up in different places. Water from roof leaks in a Scamp often goes under the rat fur and insulation so there is no evidence of the leak until the water gets to the bottom of the wall coverings, usually at the floor., very far from the source. And it does not become evident until there has been an extended period of rain because it takes time for the water to get to the floor.

I might agree that molded fiberglass campers are generally more leak resistant, but don't expect all your leak problems to be resolved. The fact that water can go so far under the insulation and never been seen as it travels makes it harder to deal with at times.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #11

Idaho
Any hole on a roof is a future Leak.
Though a fiberglass Roof all you have to deal with is sealing the intrusion points. Yes still can be a hassle, but doable.
The Rubber Roofs, OMG. Ever seen the 5th wheel on the highway/Interstate coming towards you and have a ballon on the roof. "Ballon" = Roof/Front Cap has a leak, rubber roof wasn't glued down correctly (most aren't) and the air starts blowing up the the rubber roof.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #12

Registry
CamperLifestyle--Mike:

Every time I see a mostly-ruined, decade-old RV of some kind for "free" on Craigslist, I feel sick. Somebody spent some money on that thing, and likely camped in it a few times and then there it sat. I know one woman in our neighborhood with TWO big RVs, both sitting. One full of mold and the new one already leaking.

And I re-vow to keep Peanut dry, clean, and to USE it each year, even if that means only Paul or me sitting in it every week to read and have a quiet lunch!

As the weather improves, so does my interest in GOING!

Paul's thinking of taking off the awning railing and sealing that up with glass...we have two sizes of canopies that work just fine...and we'd feel better sealing up those holes leaving only the Fan-Tastic Vent Fan as a potential water ingress..

We've kept Peanut VERY simple...less tech, less to deteriorate, less maintenance and replacement.

(See the thread about coolers--ice chests...we use our Coleman X-treme 5-day (ice lasted 7 days in it in the described test) and don't have a fridge--and won't be adding one.

We're a lot more likely to go and enjoy ourselves if we keep it simple. I hear you about the surround sound ecstasy and the desuetude everywhere else in the 5th wheel!

Priorities! Priorities!

I definitely feel the eggs that are standing the test of time are far better for folks like us than the new, ultra-pricey hi-tech stickie goodies! Which is why we have one now, and why we are here on FGRV!

BEST
Kai
Old 03-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #13

Idaho
I hear you, simple is the best way of doing it.
Sometimes you have to learn the hard way though. As we started on our Fulltime adventure, I didn't want a Microwave and my wife did. Well we had one. Now in a home we don't even have one and my wife's tune is a small Camper with no luxuries that can break.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifestyle View Post
I hear you, simple is the best way of doing it.
Sometimes you have to learn the hard way though. As we started on our Fulltime adventure, I didn't want a Microwave and my wife did. Well we had one. Now in a home we don't even have one and my wife's tune is a small Camper with no luxuries that can break.
In the end, who cares what someone else needs or wants? My first all-molded towable was a lot more rustic than the one I have now. But 15+ years after that first purchase, my needs/wants and budget have changed. It's ALL good. At this point, "simple" for me, isn't so much about fewer options/technology or minimizing what I choose to have... it's more about what I desire and can afford or tow. As I said, it's ALL good
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:36 PM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
[QUOTE=gordon2;632257]Only if there are no holes (vents A/C, etc.) in the roof (and I have yet to see such a rig).

Gordon, the Lil Snoozy does not have any intrusions, as the fan is on the back wall, as is the air conditioner. There is no insulation or rat fur on the smooth gel coated walls, and the insulation is contained in the matrix of the fiberglass matting.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:54 AM   #16

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Gordon, the Lil Snoozy does not have any intrusions, as the fan is on the back wall, as is the air conditioner. There is no insulation or rat fur on the smooth gel coated walls, and the insulation is contained in the matrix of the fiberglass matting.
Dave & Paula
Good point. Note however I was responding to the comment:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM

The specific make was not mentioned in that comment and the vast majority of molded fiberglass campers do have holes in the roof.

But as the Snoozy designers figured out, its best to have as few holes on the roof as possible (and for them, none is possible). In my Scamp I have four major items in the roof. Two of them I could do without. One of the two I need is A/C and it could be put elsewhere (but would not work as well), and of course many people are happy without A/C (YMMV). So I think the only item on the Scamp that should be universal is the vent / fan (not the escape hatch vent).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #17

Registry
The original post about permanent resolutions to leakage is, of course, an ideal scenario. Almost any rig can leak. If not roofs, then windows. If not them, then the toilet hole (!). Even the best-designed eggs--or rigs-- will need maintenance of some things at some times.

YMMV is a wonderful mantra.

Learning how to use and maintain whatever you have is always good.

So the original poster is in the right place--just go searching on this FGRV site, type in what you want to learn about in the bottom line of the "search" function, and read and read! Then look on youtube which often has very helpful videos--we learned how to put on "racing stripes" by watching those vids...and how to fiberglass holes by reading and watching. (And practicing)

Practice makes perfect.

Happy Trails to You!

BEST
Kai
Old 10-25-2017, 05:26 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Kai I feel the same way the less you have in the trailer the less problems. I was excited about the gas fridge but it is so tiny I wonder if it is worth it. We also have a 12v cooler and add a gal. of frozen ice we are good for 3 days or so.

I guess my tinkering days are over a generator or solar doesn't excite me at all. I have improved the lighting in the 13f scamper but I don't know if this is even worth it as by 8 or 9 in the eve we are ready to hit the hay!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:05 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Amuses me that people expect perfection as I spent 40 years as a manufacturing engineer. Our company worked hard to make things idiot proof, but humans kept breeding better idiots...

Only perfect item I know of is a rock. Lasts millions of years with no maintenance and works every time you throw it.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:16 PM   #20

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
The thing that "fixes" quality problems in an industry is competition.

Case in point: During the '70s the quality of US made cars was absolutely horrible. All of them. I once owned a '73 Vega! My first new vehicle was a '77 Ford pickup. Upon getting it home I noticed the front bumper was about an inch higher on one side than it was on the other. It was riveted onto the frame and there were no adjustments possible. In addition to that the doors and body panels were on crooked and the wheel rims wobbled. The passenger door would never latch on the first closing. I drove by a Ford dealership that year and noticed they had about 20 new trucks lined up very precisely on the front row. Sighting down that row of trucks from the end showed front bumpers at every which angle all the way down the row. I wish I had taken a picture.

The Japanese (having been taught industrial quality control by an American named W. Edwards Deming (look him up) during their reconstruction after WWII) fixed our quality control problems for us by exporting excellent Toyota, Datsun and Honda cars to the US. American makers squalled like mashed cats but buyers soon realized they couldn't afford the American junk when they could get something better. Everyone including the US makers knew why they were losing the market.

I bought a new Toyota pickup in '85. It was flawless for 173,000 miles then it totally shot craps all at once. I bought two new Chevrolet step side 4WD pickups during the '90s. I traded the first one ('94) on an identically set up '96 at 47,000 miles. Nothing wrong with the older one, I just decided to trade. I paid $4,700 difference, 10 cents per mile depreciation. That '94 is hands down the lowest cost vehicle I ever drove. The '96 I drove 162,000 miles and gave it to my son. (I bought a new Ford King Ranch diesel) He took the Chevy to 292,000 miles and it was breaking down every week.

The last break down garnered a $1000 repair estimate. It was time to sell it. He was disappointed that he didn't make 300,000 miles plus he did not want a payment book. I pointed out to him that payments on a new one would be much less than repair bills on the old one. President Obama bought the Chevy for $4,500 under the infamous "cash for clunkers" program. My son got a new '09 Ford Ranger with an air conditioner, power steering, an automatic transmission and a payment book with $199 per month payments for four years. I got back some of the income taxes I paid during the life of the truck.

I am on my 4th new truck since that '03 King Ranch. It was my only diesel and I loved it. It cost $15,000 (17.6 cents per mile) depreciation to run it 85,000 miles. Now I never run one more than 100,000 miles and I never have any repair bills. I just traded an F-150 Ecoboost with 99,870 miles. It was a GREAT truck with unbelievable power. The depreciation cost wound up at 17.0 cents per mile. My Bigfoot is heavy so this time I thought I would try a new F-350 with a gas motor to pull it. I really, really like this truck. The quality is flawless. Haven't pulled the trailer yet, can't wait.

It took about 40 years but US made vehicles now are excellent quality. That is how business competition fixes product quality problems.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote