Even the RV Industry Knows They Have PROBLEMS! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2017, 06:37 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
We have become accustomed to the reliability of modern automobiles and expect the same from RVs. First-time RV buyers, especially, are shocked by the difference.

RV manufacturing today is less like building a car and more like building a house, with a long punch list at the end. Except the QC inspector is more often the buyer.

Whether expecting automotive-level reliability is reasonable or not is debatable. Automakers spend billions on R&D and plant upgrades, recouped over hundreds of thousands of worldwide sales for a single model. RV makers do not enjoy such economies of scale. Even so, they could do better. Much better.

Competition alone does not improve quality as long as everyone is doing the same thing. It really takes just one company to figure out how to produce a better-made RV without increasing the cost significantly. One missing piece is independent data collection and reporting of RV reliability.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:17 AM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
seems to me

Was it Honda or Toyota or both that made their tolerances so close on their heads they didn't use gaskets?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #23

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
Kai I feel the same way the less you have in the trailer the less problems. I was excited about the gas fridge but it is so tiny I wonder if it is worth it. We also have a 12v cooler and add a gal. of frozen ice we are good for 3 days or so.

I guess my tinkering days are over a generator or solar doesn't excite me at all. I have improved the lighting in the 13f scamper but I don't know if this is even worth it as by 8 or 9 in the eve we are ready to hit the hay!

Hi, bob,

DonnaD made a good point earlier in this thread: it depends on how you want to camp. Needs change--ours have; people have different perspectives on camping. One person's simplicity is another person's deprivation.

We like basic, but we include a ceramic heater, a microwave, and shore power in that...

We like some comforts, and don't need others. We've discussed solar and generators but so far, no.

To each his or her own. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

Paul's out in Peanut again now, reading a big biography of Prince Charles that I have dibs on when he's finished with it. (Large print, of course!)
If nothing else, Peanut is his "man cave" and keeps him out in the neighborhood for whatever excitement might arise. We're glad we put that bullet-proof window in the rock shield! (For viewing down the neighborhood road, not necessarily to protect Paul from bullets.)

Having had many kinds of camping "rigs," we definitely prefer Peanut to all else. It all seems to have been worth it, complete reno, new "eternal" license tabs, new privacy toweling, and all.

BEST
Kai
Old 10-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #24

Missouri
peanut

I don't know why but Stevie seems to fit the bill I want more camping this fall and winter! It seems there tinkers and non-tinkers I am in the non to me simple is better.

Some people love to work and cannot quit in retirement I say good for them I in turn want to loaf. Nothing wrong with either one to me!

My life is full with the way I do things I plan to remain in the plan I have but I enjoy reading some of the guys hard work and the amazing things they can do. Good for them!

As to cars and trucks with diesel I have been down that road I have a 98 Volkswagon tdi do not get it worked on! Everything is 3x a normal car and I don't take it to a stealership no telling what they would charge.

Now our fuel costs are following as stated above there is no value to them to me! But again if you want it go for it no complaint from me but I think there is no gain! I am not into power don't need it actually and I can get my car worked on anywhere!

life is good for me and stevie

bob

oh did I say a 13f scamper looks sort of rediculous
Old 10-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #25

Registry
bob,

Lots of people love how the little trailers look, scamps, bolers, trilliums...YMMV. They all look very much the same. Not ridiculous at all , just easy to tow and maneuver...and sometimes even fit right into garages.

Also, as it has been pointed out, there WAS a "Skamper" trailer and Scamp sued them for name infringement..."scamper" lies somewhere in the middle of that...

So you named yours "Stevie?" Is that a girl trailer or a boy trailer?

Peanut seems to be bi-sexual, half for Paul and half for me. Neither "she" nor "he" really fits--so far we just call Peanut "it." It doesn't mind.

Kai
Old 10-26-2017, 05:10 PM   #26

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Amuses me that people expect perfection as I spent 40 years as a manufacturing engineer. Our company worked hard to make things idiot proof, but humans kept breeding better idiots...

Only perfect item I know of is a rock. Lasts millions of years with no maintenance and works every time you throw it.
... but...
I have seen many rocks where the top (roof?) leaked and water infiltrated the interior...
freeze/thaw freeze/thaw... next thing you know the whole rock was split down the middle, then not too long later stuff was growing out of the split..
Everything put together, sooner or later falls apart!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #27

Registry
Floyd
&
tractors1:

Every stalactite and stalagmite will tell you
the roof was leaking in the big rock above!

So there's that.

Kai
Old 10-26-2017, 07:31 PM   #28

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
bob,

Also, as it has been pointed out, there WAS a "Skamper" trailer and Scamp sued them for name infringement..."scamper" lies somewhere in the middle of that...

Kai
We parked next to one on the way home from Backus two weeks ago.. Check out the name. Tom
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1347.jpg  
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #29

Missouri
stevie is a girl. I try to have fun with some of my posts I don't quite think saying stevie looks ridiculous and she is parked next to the 500k rigs is running down anyone. if so I wouldn't own stevie!!!

bob
Old 10-27-2017, 03:11 PM   #30

Registry
Tom: I can't make out if it is Skamper or Scamper--either way, I can see why there was a name issue; really not at all like Scamps!

bob--my best to stevie. I know you're having fun. I think many of us appreciate your light-hearted posts. I think you understand where I'm coming from.

I LOVE the looks of the all-molded rigs, I wanted one from the first time I saw one back in the middle of the last century. It was a life-long dream and became an obsession in 2015 when we had traded our Kia for a "new to us" Dodge van that had a towing capacity of 3600 with a tongue capacity of 360. Suddenly it was possible--by sheer luck we found this site--we had bought a little motorcycle cargo trailer for daycations with the pug girls, and it was molded fiberglass full of large chips, dings, and hideous inside and I needed help with CLEANING mold out of (off) fiberglass and fixing chips...and here you all were. Suddenly the motorcycle trailer was passe and getting a real all-molded fiberglass (marshmallow to me then) trailer became an utter obsession. It only took two-three months and we had Peanut...the fix-up over the next 9 months cooled the obsession quite a bit, but now I can truly say we are happy with and comfortable in Peanut, and it's the best camping set-up for us that we've ever had, and we've had quite an assortment.

At this point, we'll quit camping in Peanut when we can't get into it any more, and we'll sell Peanut when we can't hook it up any more...all of which depends on Paul, since he's the one who does all that now. I admire the other women who do it all, but I'm not able to be among them.

Meanwhile--I find these eggs on the opposite end of the spectrum from ridiculous! The bigger the rig next to them, the more elegant and attractive the little ones look to me! To us.

I think even the dogs like the eggs! I know they like Peanut.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #31

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Tom: I can't make out if it is Skamper or Scamper--either way, I can see why there was a name issue; really not at all like Scamps!...
It was Skamper with a "k." My family owned one in the 70's. Skamper started production in 1962, went public in 1968, merged into AMF in 1972, sold off in 1979, acquired by Thor in 1994 and discontinued in 2003.
Pop-up Camper History

There are a few posts on FGRV speculating that a trademark dispute between Skamper and Eveland's was the reason they branded their trailers as Acorns in 1979, but I really haven't read anything beyond hearsay on that. I agree there isn't that much similarity, and apparently a judge though so, too (if that was indeed the cause of the re-branding), because they went back to being called Scamps within a year.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:04 PM   #32

Missouri
fun

I guess I just like having fun really at no ones expense but mine! When we owned the A-Liner I had a guy follow me around every post I made correcting me to the fact it was really called a-liner. Really? What does it matter?

Anyway I miss that A-Liner it had a lot more room than our Stevie it had the 3ft that the Scamper is missing. Stevie is really a 10f not a 13f but as has been pointed out to me. Forget that missing 3f and move on! I took it as a fun comment no hard feelings!

Every time we parked at the Walmarts with the A-Liner people driving by would stop many would ask for a tour we loved doing it. People were amazed we could set that camper up in 30s if need be. We had some exciting times with that little rig in just the year we owned it! It was just plain fun to own. Try setting a rig like that up with 30 to 40mph winds? Really fun!

Its all in fun. Why must we be so serious here? I see people get so wound up over the smallest things. I just don't get it!

I do have to say I am 75 and a misor and cheap I admit it.

bob
Old 10-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #33

Arizona
Registry
Wound up? I actually find history- in this case RV history- fun!

In the case of the spelling of Skamper, it's an issue if someone tries to google it for more information, as might happen.

You might be interested to know that some purists insist "boler" be spelled with lowercase, too. Personally, I consider that more of a stylistic element of the logo and stick with standard English capitalization usage regarding proper nouns.

Somewhat inconsistently, I write my mobile device as "iPhone." Maybe I should start writing "Scamp" as "sCamp" to appear hip... as in s(mall) camp(er)...
Old 10-28-2017, 08:37 AM   #34

Missouri
yep

scamper wins every time especially a 13f they look well ridiculous!!!

bob
Old 10-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #35

Registry
jon:

I spell "amerigo" with a small a because of the logo, but plenty here spell it with a capital A, as you say, within normal usage of proper nouns.

I like to get my history at least close to correct...else it's just fiction.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2017, 08:01 AM   #36

Missouri
what was the tv commercial years ago you can call me ray I forget the rest but it was fun to watch!! my spelling not very good, my grammer not too good but somehow I made it in the business world. People I dealt with didn't give a lick just deliver my goods.

we do have spellin and grammer police here by the way. people just get bothered by the smallest things. for stevie I like scamper with small caps its fun!

thanks

bob
Old 10-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It's simply courteous to use proper spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and to compose your thoughts prior to writing them down and posting. Read what you've written to ensure that it makes sense, and that you're not simply repeating the same message you've posted a hundred times before.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #38

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
It's not just courteous, grammar establishes the meaning of sentences and separates thoughts. I enjoy reading all types of posts, but some are harder to understand.

When trying to convey a story, opinion, or set of facts to an audience, the writer must try to engage the audience and not make them struggle to find which meaning was intended. When something is open to different interpretations, or has to be studied to try and get the meaning, it taxes the reader and makes them less interested in the actual subject matter.

I know I make plenty of mistakes, but I do try to be as clear as possible. I don't mind at all if the "grammar police" ask about my structure because it means I have not conveyed my thoughts clearly. The purpose of communicating is to get a thought across to someone else in an interesting way, with as little chance of misinterpretation as possible. Writing is more about the reader, than the writer.

It's interesting to notice that we all bring different backgrounds to this forum. Reading between the lines can also be very informative and thought-provoking.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #39

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
It's simply courteous to use proper spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and to compose your thoughts prior to writing them down and posting. Read what you've written to ensure that it makes sense, and that you're not simply repeating the same message you've posted a hundred times before.
I dont no boat all dat u git th jist enyways
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:10 PM   #40

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I don't mind at all if the "grammar police" ask about my structure because it means I have not conveyed my thoughts clearly. The purpose of communicating is to get a thought across to someone else in an interesting way, with as little chance of misinterpretation as possible. Writing is more about the reader, than the writer.
This is spot on. Thank you for posting it.

A run-on and unpunctuated post is simply hard on the reader. Use a little effort. It shows you care not only about what you post, but those who read it. Consider it akin to following the rules of the road, saying please or thank you, and opening the door when someone has their hands full.

And, despite the previous claims to the contrary, proper spelling and punctuation are vital to business success - at least in my case. It shows a level of competency and attention to detail that my customers appreciate.