Fiberglass RV Pricing - Holding Value vs. Usage Depreciation - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #15

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Southern Alberta
The one thing I find interesting about this topic is that a trailer
in its current state may have different values to different purchasers.

Purchasers that can do most of the repairs needed by the trailer
themselves might be willing to pay more for the trailer, supply
their own labor and only add the cost of the parts to the purchase
price and thus ending up at what they think is a fair market value.

But others that would have to take the trailer to a shop to have
such repairs done and thus incurring the extra labor costs might have
a different view of the market value of the finished product.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Quote:
The one thing I find interesting about this topic is that a trailer
in its current state may have different values to different purchasers.

I think this is an important point. Each transaction is between two people with their own criteria about the sale. When we bought our Burro we were definitely 'taken' due to our own naiveté (no forum then, nothing on the internet, I called around, couldn't find anyone who knew anything about molded fiberglass RVs but did find the price of a 'new' Burro, though they were not being made at the time). We did not know enough on how to check the trailer thoroughly. We invested half again what we paid for it to fix all that was found wrong because we couldn't just turn around and sell something in that condition to get rid of it - we kept it, fixed it and used it. Live and learn. When we sold it we just wanted to pass it on to someone who would appreciate it, it was in good condition, but not 'restored' so we kept the price low compared to other Burros listed. We sold it for basically what we paid for it, minus the investment in repairs. Seemed fair to us for 10 years of light use. Someone else might have wanted more because of the current 'market'.

I recently talked with some folks who bought a 3 year old Casita for "a very good price" because it belonged to an elderly gentlemen who bought it, used it once and couldn't really use it again, and his son just wanted to get it sold and gone.

There are many motives for selling, and squeezing the most pennies out of the deal isn't always #1.

I don't know how anyone can advise someone on a selling price without seeing and knowing the trailer and without considering what the seller's criteria for selling is. And as we all know condition isn't always obvious and takes some sleuthing around to discover, even then, a frig that works might die tomorrow because it is old and has been used a lot - who would know? So advising a buyer can be tricky also.

That said, getting other's ideas can be helpful if a person is unsure.

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Old 08-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
I tend to Modify my trailers a lot. To some it is taking away value. To others it is adding value. I view a modified trailer as one that has to fit the buyer.

Let me explain. If someone had a professional paint job done on their Casita and made it a Super High Gloss BLACK trailer, I would NOT touch it with a ten foot pole. To me it is no good for my use in the Southwest Desert. I hate BLACK. Bad guys wear Black hats. etc. etc. Now to someone maybe in the Northwest (snow belt) that has a BLACK Corvette, it maybe the perfect trailer. Helps melt the snow off and is easy to find after a storm or in a ditch. etc. etc

Same trailer in Great condition has two different values based on individuals and their needs.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape
Maine
I look at it this way; if I keep my Casita in great shape, and I know that I have put a lot of care into keeping it well maintained, I would want to ask as much as I could for it, irrespective of what someone might think I should be asking for it. And if you were the prospective buyer who came along and laughed at my price because you "know better", I'd wish you good luck and good day.

As has been mentioned, you as buyer (either informed or uninformed), are not compelled to pay what is my asking price. And if I am a motivated seller, I won't try asking top dollar.

To me, it really isn't difficult to understand why someone might want to get as much as they can. And it doesn't make them scoundrels either.

That's my 2 cents worth.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #19

Name: Dawn
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Quote:
I look at it this way; if I keep my Casita in great shape, and I know that I have put a lot of care into keeping it well maintained, I would want to ask as much as I could for it, irrespective of what someone might think I should be asking for it. And if you were the prospective buyer who came along and laughed at my price because you "know better", I'd wish you good luck and good day.

As has been mentioned, you as buyer (either informed or uninformed), are not compelled to pay what is my asking price. And if I am a motivated seller, I won't try asking top dollar.

To me, it really isn't difficult to understand why someone might want to get as much as they can. And it doesn't make them scoundrels either.

That's my 2 cents worth.
Being a homeowner I fully understand the concept of fair market value, and also a sellers market. And, with these eggs it really is a sellers market. As has already been stated by others, the value of an object varies from person to person dependent on what it means to them. All of this makes sense to me and I do understand the desire to make a profit on your investment. I do not condone renegging on a deal in order to make a few more dollars though.

My advice to prospective buyers is to research prices through websites like this, craigslist, autotrader, buy & sell, etc., determine what you can spend, then stick to that. Don't allow yourself to be drawn into a bidding game. Yes, there are scoundrels out there. If you don't get your trailer this time, there's always next year. Half the fun is the hunt.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #20

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
There are so many variables that go into buying and selling these trailers that you can't really pidgeonhole any of these sales to any particular set of rules.

After over three years of following and posting trailer listings here are some generalities that I think are worth mentioning. As I said above, nothing is set in stone and there will always be exceptions, but these are pretty good guidelines.

From the Seller side:
ebay listings that are properly done generally bring some of the highest prices of listing anywhere, some almost ridiculous.
Best prices on trailers sold April thru July (Sellers Market)
Condition, quality improvements, upkeep, and your trailer being one that is "known in the community" for such will bring premiums on price (Some members here have their eye on other members trailers if they ever put them up for sale)
Washing/cleaning the trailer thoroughly prior to sale will help with what you can ask and get

From the Buyer side:
eBay listings that are not properly done have resulted in some "steals."
Best buys on trailers September thru end of February (Buyers Market)
Project trailers, poor condition/upkeep, bad mods, will lower the price that you'll get
Not washing, cleaning the trailer or prepping for sale lowers the price. (Remember the ads in the spring where they offered the trailer for 30 days at $$$ before they cleaned it and after they cleaned it in 30 days the price would be $1000 higher.)

Anyway, kinda fun stuff to throw out.....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 PM   #21

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Greg

There are 2 points I can add using Don N's recent sale of his Trillium as an example:

1. Some things that are done to a trailer are overlooked for their value. Don had replaced the frame, axle, rims and tires plus totally rewired the trailer. That is worth a few more $$ than a newbie might realize.
2. This is an international forum. Don had posted his for sale at a certain price yet failed to mention his asking price was in CANADIAN Dollars. He asked why no one seemed to be interested after a few weeks with little action. I replied pointing out the value of his work and an equivalent price in AMERICAN Dollars. A couple of days later, he got his asking price.

Food for thought,
Roy
Old 08-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #22

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
All good points here and well taken. I know for myself I have always sold a trailer that is in much better shape than when I bought it. That's just my thing, I enjoy tinkering with these fiberglass gems, and I've never gotten my time back in dollars along with many others here. Like someone pointed out sometimes the buyer just doesn't realize the work that's gone into the trailer.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #23

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I was going to say that I bring the values down, because I hate the process of selling things. Basically what I do is think to myself "Now what price will guarantee me that the first person who looks at this will buy it and save me the agony of dragging this out another minute." And then I set it just below that

I say "was going to say" because then I remembered that I also hate bargaining on the front end, so I am a horrible haggler. So when buying I bring the values up

I guess I'm a wash then, in terms of affecting trailer values
Old 08-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #24

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... The only thing I ever sold, for what I asked, was our Boler...and it sold in 20 min.
Thanks Fiberglass RV.com!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 08-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #25

Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Like Raya I hate the process of selling things.

Although I'm sure this doesn't apply to most of you here, many buyers/visitors have this tendency to treat sellers like crap and waste their time. I apologize in advance for this personal rant, but I've had my share of low-ballers and no-shows while trying to sell stuff through classified ads, so I think many simply realize it's a tough game and decide to play it their way and will try to get the most out of whatever they're selling regardless of what others may think. On some occasions really nice people show up and you can establish a really good rapport with them, but unfortunately there are a lot of people who show up hours late (if they ever do), or spend a lot of time asking questions then offer 1/3 of what you're asking, or are visibly uninformed or not really interested in buying the item in the first place but still waste an hour of your time, or can't pay for it once they settle on a price, etc. etc. So as far as I'm concerned, until you're interested in what I have to offer and somewhere close to my price range, you're just another one of "them". But I understand that's the cost of doing business. End rant.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #26

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
All I know is that if the guy I bought my Scamp from knew anything about the internet and especially this forum or Ebay, I wouldn't been able to buy my Scamp as low as I did...he literally didn't know what these things sold for. His loss...my gain.
ConwayBob
Old 08-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hmmm. This thread is taking a very interesting path.

Hello All,
Thank you for adding your respective insights.

I have to ask those, how do you identify yourself from the perspective of being a member of the community of fiberglass 'rvers' that frequent this site and possibly participate in the get-togethers?

I hope Raya will allow me to reflect. You are very consistent when you speak of your hassle free selling method. You are one of the very helpful individuals who spend some of your precious time monitoring this site and then offering free of charge your advice and assistance to those in need. There are a number of others in the community doing similar deeds and certainly that assistance would be worth something dollar wise if nobody were offering it for free. When it comes time to sell, you have said that you focus on something other than the highest price and profit that you can exact from the other party. This to me seems consistent.

It is not a directive, but merely another question to all when I ask, why does one have to sell for a profit or sell at all? The money is already spent and out of the coffers and the item has presumably been used and enjoyed. Why not give it away?
Where would one draw the line between the value of time and information versus the value of an object? What about the line between communal (for the benefit of the community) versus pack behavior?

Suppose you buy a trailer and determine to refurbish and modify it. You conceive of a design which will beautify the trailer as well as making it more functional than it was originally. To the extent that you succeed, the trailer is better than the original in beauty and functionality. How would you price the improvement?

Would you be satisfied with adding the cost of the parts and labor as a premium on the sale price? Certainly the value of the original factory design is well beyond the profit margin of a single unit. Wouldn't the value of your creativity and industriousness manifest exceed any pittance you might add on to the sale price as a premium?

Were it possible that a greater reward might ensue through the admiration of your work by the many that could observe it? For those who have seen Italy, oh what public pleasures the architectural displays of creativity and genius! On the other hand, many wonderful artistic compositions that were meant by the respective artists for the eyes or ears of humanity are sitting selfishly locked away in private vaults.

I state no conclusion but only suggest the possibility that their might be something or that which is more valuable than profit.
Mitchell
Old 08-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #28

Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Quote:
It is not a directive, but merely another question to all when I ask, why does one have to sell for a profit or sell at all? The money is already spent and out of the coffers and the item has presumably been used and enjoyed. Why not give it away?
Where would one draw the line between the value of time and information versus the value of an object? What about the line between communal (for the benefit of the community) versus pack behavior?
I can only answer your question with another question. By that rationale, why not 'give' more than market value for a purchase? Or offer something more in return? In many cases trailers have been improved and money has been invested way beyond the asking price, and the owner already knows that they will never be able to recover the total value as a large part of it is, as you say, spent and out of the coffers, and enjoyed. Why, then, try to weasel out a good deal out of them if all you're doing is taking something away from them, that someone else would offer them? It's easy to ask others to be generous when you're the buyer and not the seller. What if, in a better world, sellers started telling hagglers that instead of lowering their price they will make an equivalent donation to charity in their name? Would that work? Then you can 'admire' their work all you want knowing that you paid fair value and that you can't sell it for 50% more the next day for your own profit.