For Yankees thinking about Escapes & Bigfoots. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #15

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
All I can say or add is that here in Canada we can hold both Canadian or US dollar accounts and many of us do for travel purposes.

When the Canadian dollar goes up against the US dollar I buy US dollars in my account. Yes the US dollar is still the bench mark for international travel.

You folks in the USA are sure with your buying power to get a great deal when it comes to Escape or Bigfoot.

Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:37 PM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I had a friend who at retirement decided he was going to be a day trader, borrowed money on his house I never heard much about it except he isn't a day trader any more!

k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:44 PM   #17

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
I had a friend who at retirement decided he was going to be a day trader, borrowed money on his house I never heard much about it except he isn't a day trader any more!
Night security at a 7-11 ?
Old 01-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Daniel both those companies have been in business for a long time if I wanted one of those rigs I wouldn't hesitate for a moment paying up front for one to freeze the price. I can almost be they will be having price increase this year.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:07 PM   #19

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
not worth worrying about....

the current exchange rate is pretty well "middle of the road" if you look back 40 years....you could have been a "star" if you had bought in 2001....or "cried in your beer" if you had pulled the trigger in 2011....

right now it's average.....while the trend for the US dollar is predicted to keep falling compared to world currencies in the near to medium term, the CAD will probably sink at the same rate....so the USD/CAD rate should probably stay within the long term average...for a while...
Attached Thumbnails
middle.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:28 AM   #20

Name: Charles
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17
Texas
I don't worry about it too much. I'm a buy and hold investor, and don't think an amateur like us can predict interest rates, conversion rate between USD and CND, price of oil, etc. A year ago a lot of experts said the stock market was going to tank, but it didn't. I don't think anyone really knows what the exchange rate will be, so I don't worry about it, and certainly don't try to time it.

If you just have enough $'s to pay for your future trailer, yes you should probably hedge your bets and pay for it now. That way, you can still buy your trailer if the exchange rate goes against you.

If you have a well diversified portfolio in your retirement account for example, I don't think you need to do anything. If the USD falls relative to the CND, something in your retirement account will probably benefit, maybe more than your loss on the increase cost of your new Escape trailer. If the USD improves and you get a better deal on your new Escape, you will probably take a negative hit on your retirement account.

An example of this effect is an investment in Exxon. Say you own Exxon and the price of oil goes up? Now you have to pay more at the pump, but maybe you made a lot more $'s on your Exxon investment, so you don't really care, heads I win, tails you lose effect. Cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:44 AM   #21

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
So hard to predict the markets so I will predict this. If you end up paying 10% more for your trailer, you will quickly forget about it because the value is there in an Escape or Bigfoot. The enjoyment of the quality and features will last much longer than having to pay slightly more.

And who knows, you just might gain it back when you sell it.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
So hard to predict the markets so I will predict this. If you end up paying 10% more for your trailer, you will quickly forget about it because the value is there in an Escape or Bigfoot. The enjoyment of the quality and features will last much longer than having to pay slightly more.

And who knows, you just might gain it back when you sell it.
My upbringing and life experiences cause me to be less philosophical about spending money . A Bigfoot trailer may be loaded with value but it is still expensive regardless of the exchange rate . IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:48 AM   #23

Name: Chick
Trailer: U-Haul 13
Texas
Iíve pulling ttís for over 40 years, Iíve owned three air streams, a Winnie motorhome, a casita, a uhaul piece of junk, BF p/u camper, and my unit de jour is a 05 21í Bigfoot tt and itís probably going to be my last. Yes, the BF was a bit more expensive than the others, I bought it used, saved money there, itís requires less repair and maintenance than the others, itís cheaper and more comfortable to stay in, less money for heating and cooling, no big deal there but itís an area for saving money. I think the fiberglass construction is by far the strongest and most durable out there. Yes I looked for more than a year before I found this one, I live in Texas and I was prepared to travel to pick one up, but to my surprise I found one right under my nose, a hundred miles away. A mediocre camper is better than no camper, but a person with patience and persistence can turn a run of the mill unit into a little better one keep trading up and before you know it, thereís a Bigfoot in the drive way.
Chick Rives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:45 PM   #24

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
it's simple really....

Attached Thumbnails
hears.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #25

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
A new Escape 5.0TA with a decent bunch of options including solar would run about 40K CAD. Right now with their 1K discount special that's about 30K USD. Sheesh. Great buy.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #26

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
I'd bet on a stronger dollar for another year or so. The US economy is growing faster than the rest of the world, and we're raising interest rates faster as well.
But buying some C$ is a great way to lock in your price, if you have the funds in savings to do that, and are concerned about fluctuation.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #27

Name: Dillon
Trailer: Thinking really hard
Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongelander View Post
I'd bet on a stronger dollar for another year or so. The US economy is growing faster than the rest of the world, and we're raising interest rates faster as well.
But buying some C$ is a great way to lock in your price, if you have the funds in savings to do that, and are concerned about fluctuation.

No sooner said than undone. I'll skip the specific politic(ian)s involved, but world finance has become very dynamic.

That said, one way to feel more secure would be to open a Canadian based deposit account. I can't suggest a specific bank, but I'm sure our Canadian friends can.

Canada and the US have a very friendly co-reporting program so the IRS and the Canadian equivalent (Inland Revenue? I know that's the Brits) know how much you have and where and the tax form is simple and straightforward and as long as you report the deposits and income there's no problems. Again, I am not a financial expert but we did have some euro denominated accounts for a while when we were looking at doing some extensive European travel. Not to hedge but to make the money easier to access. It was just a line item or two and done.
dmpyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #28

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
When this thread started, we were talking 80 cents CDN to one US dollar. For the past several weeks it's been 75 cents CDN to one USD. I paid 86CDN to one USD a bit more than four years ago.... and have enjoyed every moment of owning my Escape built trailer. ZERO regrets.

Bruce has it right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Measuring the value of something in dollars, whether Canadian or USD, is like measuring the length of something with a yard stick printed on a large rubber band.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, escape