For Yankees thinking about Escapes & Bigfoots. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 11:44 AM   #21

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
So hard to predict the markets so I will predict this. If you end up paying 10% more for your trailer, you will quickly forget about it because the value is there in an Escape or Bigfoot. The enjoyment of the quality and features will last much longer than having to pay slightly more.

And who knows, you just might gain it back when you sell it.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
So hard to predict the markets so I will predict this. If you end up paying 10% more for your trailer, you will quickly forget about it because the value is there in an Escape or Bigfoot. The enjoyment of the quality and features will last much longer than having to pay slightly more.

And who knows, you just might gain it back when you sell it.
My upbringing and life experiences cause me to be less philosophical about spending money . A Bigfoot trailer may be loaded with value but it is still expensive regardless of the exchange rate . IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:48 AM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul 13
I’ve pulling tt’s for over 40 years, I’ve owned three air streams, a Winnie motorhome, a casita, a uhaul piece of junk, BF p/u camper, and my unit de jour is a 05 21’ Bigfoot tt and it’s probably going to be my last. Yes, the BF was a bit more expensive than the others, I bought it used, saved money there, it’s requires less repair and maintenance than the others, it’s cheaper and more comfortable to stay in, less money for heating and cooling, no big deal there but it’s an area for saving money. I think the fiberglass construction is by far the strongest and most durable out there. Yes I looked for more than a year before I found this one, I live in Texas and I was prepared to travel to pick one up, but to my surprise I found one right under my nose, a hundred miles away. A mediocre camper is better than no camper, but a person with patience and persistence can turn a run of the mill unit into a little better one keep trading up and before you know it, there’s a Bigfoot in the drive way.
Chick Rives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:45 PM   #24

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
it's simple really....

Attached Thumbnails
hears.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #25

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
A new Escape 5.0TA with a decent bunch of options including solar would run about 40K CAD. Right now with their 1K discount special that's about 30K USD. Sheesh. Great buy.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #26

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
I'd bet on a stronger dollar for another year or so. The US economy is growing faster than the rest of the world, and we're raising interest rates faster as well.
But buying some C$ is a great way to lock in your price, if you have the funds in savings to do that, and are concerned about fluctuation.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #27

Name: Dillon
Trailer: Thinking really hard
Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongelander View Post
I'd bet on a stronger dollar for another year or so. The US economy is growing faster than the rest of the world, and we're raising interest rates faster as well.
But buying some C$ is a great way to lock in your price, if you have the funds in savings to do that, and are concerned about fluctuation.

No sooner said than undone. I'll skip the specific politic(ian)s involved, but world finance has become very dynamic.

That said, one way to feel more secure would be to open a Canadian based deposit account. I can't suggest a specific bank, but I'm sure our Canadian friends can.

Canada and the US have a very friendly co-reporting program so the IRS and the Canadian equivalent (Inland Revenue? I know that's the Brits) know how much you have and where and the tax form is simple and straightforward and as long as you report the deposits and income there's no problems. Again, I am not a financial expert but we did have some euro denominated accounts for a while when we were looking at doing some extensive European travel. Not to hedge but to make the money easier to access. It was just a line item or two and done.
dmpyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When this thread started, we were talking 80 cents CDN to one US dollar. For the past several weeks it's been 75 cents CDN to one USD. I paid 86CDN to one USD a bit more than four years ago.... and have enjoyed every moment of owning my Escape built trailer. ZERO regrets.

Bruce has it right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Measuring the value of something in dollars, whether Canadian or USD, is like measuring the length of something with a yard stick printed on a large rubber band.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #29

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
CAD...USD....

CAD is at 75 cents now.....
long term average is in the low 80s
early 1990s, CAD went down to 65 !!! (high government debt to GDP ratio)

in 2008, CAD hit 1.10 !!! (no real estate crash or bank failures)

you pays your money and you takes your chances....but right now would probably be a good time to buy a few CADs...I guess
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:36 AM   #30

Name: Herb-in-FL
Trailer: looking to buy
Florida
Franswa. I like your humor. (Life choices: to choose either the Hearse or the Bigfoot)
Herb-in-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:31 PM   #31

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Seeing all the various discussions about rates of exchange and putting down deposit, long waits to get a trailer or getting bank accounts in different countries makes me appreciate buying a used trailer for cash As it is said, having lots of money does not always make life easier or happier.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #32

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
The exchange rate as it stands offers exceptional value for our USA friends traveling or buying in Canada.

I know several American friends that travel every year to the UK and they keep a British pound account just for that purpose.
Having a 30% advantage over the Canadian dollar is no small thing.

I know when I travel to Mexico listening to people down there talk about costs in American dollars V my Canadian dollars some Mexicans don't get that I deal in a very different dollar that does not have that kind of buying power.

I do keep a US dollar account more for traveling to sun destinations that insist on wanting to deal with US dollars rather than local currency.

Dan
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:38 PM   #33

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I don't see that the purchase of an Escape constitutes a discount for American buyers. The price is in Canadian dollars and is the same for everyone. The price is set by determining a market price which will be tolerated.
If I sold stocks or bonds or rupees, or baseball cards to buy an Escape, I would have to sell an amount which would yield the equivalent of the number of Canadian Dollars sufficient to pay for the trailer, no more no less. The same is true for USDs. A Canadian with 20% more Canadian Dollars than I have US Dollars must use the same amount of buying power as I to get an Escape.
The amount you save or speculate to arrive at the purchase price is as irrelevant as the amount of work you had to perform to acquire it.

BTW... Not all U.S. Citizens are Yankees!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:13 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I don't see that the purchase of an Escape constitutes a discount for American buyers. The price is in Canadian dollars and is the same for everyone. The price is set by determining a market price which will be tolerated.
If I sold stocks or bonds or rupees, or baseball cards to buy an Escape, I would have to sell an amount which would yield the equivalent of the number of Canadian Dollars sufficient to pay for the trailer, no more no less. The same is true for USDs. A Canadian with 20% more Canadian Dollars than I have US Dollars must use the same amount of buying power as I to get an Escape.
The amount you save or speculate to arrive at the purchase price is as irrelevant as the amount of work you had to perform to acquire it.

BTW... Not all U.S. Citizens are Yankees!

Huh? How can you not see a 73 cent CDN to one USD isn't a discount for US buyers? Under your scenario, I only need to work 73% of the amount to receive 100% of the product.

For every $7,300 I use in USD funds, I receive $10,000 in CDN product. So if I'm buying a $30,000 trailer, it costs me $21,900. I'd say that's a heck of a discount compared to what a Canadian buyer would pay. IF we were both hourly workers... and all things being equal... who would have to work the longest? If we each earned $1,000 an hour, I'd only need to work 21.9 hours and my Canadian friend would need to work 30 hours for us each to afford the same thing.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:39 PM   #35

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Huh? How can you not see a 73 cent CDN to one USD isn't a discount for US buyers? Under your scenario, I only need to work 73% of the amount to receive 100% of the product.

For every $7,300 I use in USD funds, I receive $10,000 in CDN product. So if I'm buying a $30,000 trailer, it costs me $21,900. I'd say that's a heck of a discount compared to what a Canadian buyer would pay. IF we were both hourly workers... and all things being equal... who would have to work the longest? If we each earned $1,000 an hour, I'd only need to work 21.9 hours and my Canadian friend would need to work 30 hours for us each to afford the same thing.
Your $21,900 is precisely the same money as his $30,000. If you each earned $1000 per hour his CAD pay would only be 730 USD per hour. Hourly pay is irrelevant, equivalent value of currency is.

The trailer in question is only worth 21,900USD or 30,000CAD.... Same money.
How many Pesos would a Mexican pay? 438,000 Pesos... Same money.
Even if the Mexican made 20,000 pesos an hour.
IF you made 1000USD per hour and I made 40USD per hour, I would simply have to work more hours to earn the same money, but we would still each pay 21,900USD or 30,000 CAD or 438,000 Pesos... All the same money.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:55 PM   #36

Anyway you slice it Floyd, US buyers are getting more and paying less. In fact, I could get nearly $9,000 more in options with my US funds than my Canadian counterpart for the same trailer.

Remember, we don't buy with US dollars, we buy with Canadian dollars. That's why the exchange rate is important. In 2008, US buyers were paying $1.08 for every CDN dollar.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:13 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It's not like economics is real.
What the US dollar is worth, versus the Canadian dollar, depends on what people believe it's worth. That's what is reflected in the currency exchanges.

So, you're both right, or wrong.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:05 AM   #38

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
USING US$ is a relative advantage/disadvantage depending on where you are.

When I went to Cuba in 2006 for teaching and bat research I was told to convert all US$ to Euros in Mexico before the flight over. Euros would be converted to the Cuban "tourist" currency at a fair exchange rate. U.S $ would be converted at only 40% of value as part of the embargo retaliation.

Also one could not use U.S. bank based credit cards there. I was able to rent a car for 10 days using a Danish company that ran the card through their Danish bank.

Arriving from Belize via Mexico I had no issues in Cuba. The Cuban tourist currency was accepted in nearly every shop but not the local currency which was restricted and it also purchased more, had more value that my Cuban colleagues had for the same face value of currency.

My irrelevant $.05 worth... Well in Belize dollars converted to US. that would only be $.025 US. LOL

The BZE currency is pegged 2:1 to the U.S. $.
LOL.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:38 AM   #39

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I don't think there would be the same level of confusion about this if the Canadian currency was called something other than "dollar." Try thinking of it as a Euro or pound or peso or whatever.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:49 AM   #40

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
For Yankees thinking about Escapes & Bigfoots.

Picture Escapes floating on a sea of $CAD and Casitas floating on a sea of $US. As the two seas rise and fall relative to each other, the perceived value comparison changes. Which one appears to be moving depends on which side of the border you're on. It's a relativity thing.

You could just as well call it a "premium" for buying US products with strong $US as a "discount" for buying CAD products with weaker $CAD. That's just semantics and perspective, but the changing difference in actual purchase cost is real.

It changes over time but is independent of which side of the border you're on (on a percentage basis), so there's no advantage to being a "Yankee." I believe that's Floyd's point.

In the end, buyers on both sides evaluate relative cost at the time of purchase- using the yardstick of the currency in their bank accounts- and decide what represents the best value.

Of course, purchase cost is only one factor in the value calculation, and not the most important for most people. Buyers also consider design, quality, customer service, convenience, build time...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, escape