For Yankees thinking about Escapes & Bigfoots. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2018, 09:08 AM   #41

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
In the end, buyers evaluate relative cost at the time of purchase- using the yardstick of the currency in their bank accounts- and decide what represents the best value.
Exactly! There are several trailers I wouldn't own even if given to me, because I don't value what is offered. Typically the layout. After all, if I can't be comfortable inside the trailer, I may as well have kept tenting and save my money.

Happy Boxing Day! AND first day of Kwanzaa too!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #42

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
yanks....not yankees

For a point of reference outside of the USA the citizens of the USA are called "Yanks".

Yankee is generally considered to be a deragatory expression and should not be confused with the nickname used by other countries for all citizens of the USA. What seems like small differences in words do matter. I am sure you will have no trouble making the switch to using the word that is closer to your actual intent of meaning.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I don't think there would be the same level of confusion about this if the Canadian currency was called something other than "dollar." Try thinking of it as a Euro or pound or peso or whatever.

from early Flemish or Low German daler, from German T(h)aler, short for Joachimsthaler, a coin from the silver mine of Joachimsthal (‘Joachim's valley’), now Jáchymov in the Czech Republic. The term was later applied to a coin used in the Spanish American colonies, which was also widely used in the British North American colonies at the time of the American Revolution, hence adopted as the name of the US monetary unit in the late 18th century.

So, what do you suggest the US call their "dollar"?
Old 12-26-2018, 12:25 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I have a few thoughts on this, but if I said them I might have to moderate myself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #45

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
from early Flemish or Low German daler, from German T(h)aler, short for Joachimsthaler, a coin from the silver mine of Joachimsthal (‘Joachim's valley’), now Jáchymov in the Czech Republic. The term was later applied to a coin used in the Spanish American colonies, which was also widely used in the British North American colonies at the time of the American Revolution, hence adopted as the name of the US monetary unit in the late 18th century.

I say leave it alone and tolerate the adorable attempt at emulation.

To coin a phrase...
"You would have to be Loonie" to change it now since it was around for about eighty years before the CAD, and the CAD $1 is no longer in print.

I've seen some Canadian printed money and it made me wonder what you use when playing Monopoly?
Tiny GreenBacks??
Now I just wonder if they make a version of Monopoly with a debit card reader instead of cash?
I've heard they do!

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:50 PM   #46

Having all your bills look pretty much the same is brilliant.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #47

Registry
Quote:
Having all your bills look pretty much the same is brilliant.
I think I get your point but I always wondered why there was no "Sarcasm" font! Hey! How about bold Italics in green?
Old 12-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I think I get your point but I always wondered why there was no "Sarcasm" font! Hey! How about bold Italics in green?

I suggested to admin long ago that they update the emoticons and label them properly, but nothing has happened.
On the Escape forum, which is also owned by Social Knowledge, they are arranged better, including a thumbs up icon in the main selection.
That's my two cents. ��
Old 12-26-2018, 02:23 PM   #49

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
F

Yankee is generally considered to be a deragatory expression and should not be confused with the nickname used by other countries for all citizens of the USA. What seems like small differences in words do matter. I am sure you will have no trouble making the switch to using the word that is closer to your actual intent of meaning.
Yes, "Yankee" is a common name in the southern US to describe people from the northern US in a not too positive light.....
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #50

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Yes some citizens in the USA often act as it they invented everything but of course they did not.

From Wikipedia
Dollar (often represented by the dollar sign $) is the name of more than 20 currencies, including those of Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Liberia, Namibia, New Zealand, Singapore, Taiwan, and the United States, whose US dollar is also the official currency of Caribbean Netherlands, East Timor, Ecuador, El Salvador, Federated States of Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Palau, Panama, and Zimbabwe.

This reminds me of being back in school during the days when I was taking classes in Spanish. My teacher made it very clear about how other countries on this continent felt about the citizens of the USA calling themselves Americans and at the same time implying that all of the other countries in the Americas had no right to call themselves by that same name. Of course the citizens of Canada, of Mexico, of all the countries in central and south American are also Americans and have every right to use that word to define where they live as much as we in the United States of America do.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #51

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I don't see that the purchase of an Escape constitutes a discount for American buyers. The price is in Canadian dollars and is the same for everyone. The price is set by determining a market price which will be tolerated.
If I sold stocks or bonds or rupees, or baseball cards to buy an Escape, I would have to sell an amount which would yield the equivalent of the number of Canadian Dollars sufficient to pay for the trailer, no more no less. The same is true for USDs. A Canadian with 20% more Canadian Dollars than I have US Dollars must use the same amount of buying power as I to get an Escape.
The amount you save or speculate to arrive at the purchase price is as irrelevant as the amount of work you had to perform to acquire it.

BTW... Not all U.S. Citizens are Yankees!
I also don’t see how buying a trailer priced in Canadian Dollars and paying in USD is a discount . Whether you pay in CND’s or USD’s the value of the currency exchanged for the trailer is exactly the same .
Escape is not giving Americans a break on the price .
If Escape priced their trailers in Mexican Pesos would US citizens be getting a 90% discount ?.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Of course the citizens of Canada, of Mexico, of all the countries in central and south American are also Americans and have every right to use that word to define where they live as much as we in the United States of America do.

As "the world's greatest democracy" you guys should call yourselves "Democrats".
Old 12-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Whether you pay in CND’s or USD’s the value of the currency exchanged for the trailer is exactly the same .

Well, if the Canadian dollar falls by one cent against the US dollar, you save hundreds of dollars. Maybe not a discount, but feels like one, I expect.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:49 PM   #54

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Well, if the Canadian dollar falls by one cent against the US dollar, you save hundreds of dollars. Maybe not a discount, but feels like one, I expect.
If I purchase my trailer today and the exchange rate is 80% and two weeks from now it drops to 75% does that mean someone stole / cheated me out of $2000 ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If I purchase my trailer today and the exchange rate is 80% and two weeks from now it drops to 75% does that mean someone stole / cheated me out of $2000 ?
Nope, just means you were on the wrong side of the exchange. Although it could just as easily fall from 75% to 70%. Did you make money? No, you just spend less to get the same thing.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #56

If it's too confusing Steve, just send your money to me and I'll take care of it.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:35 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
If you want to speculate on currency, buying Canadian has little to do with it. You could do the same thing by buying currency, and selling it when you wanted to, or when it has gone up or down to your comfort level. Most investors in currency watch it much closer than months away.
I have a close friend that all he does (anymore) as a 'hobby' is buy/sell foreign currency. He started with $1,000 USD and every time he sells, the profits are put into savings. While he'll never get rich, he has made some serious coin over the past 5 years. As he's told me, its only to improve his retirement, not his only retirement. But as with any speculation, you have to be prepared to lose it all. That's why he only uses his 'original' $1,000.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #58

He's up against people who make a living in the currency markets, using computers that make hundreds of trades in milliseconds. Wish him luck.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #59

Registry
Quote:
As "the world's greatest democracy" you guys should call yourselves "Democrats".
Actually The US is not a Democracy it is a Republic... A Democratic Republic to be exact. Most Americans used to know that back when they taught Civics in the public schools, not so much anymore.

I think "Yankee" would be preferable to Democrat to many Americans, as would many derogatory terms when taken in an American context.
I assume you are a Canadian? Which is a citizen of Canada, or do you see yourself as a British Columbian which is neither British nor Columbian.

Everybody can call themselves Vespuccians if they like, maybe that would clear up the confusion, the Hondurans already seem to think they are Americans
Old 12-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #60

You ruined my joke.

Tags
bigfoot, escape