Getting insurance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #1

Trailer: BIOD (1979 and 1990)
Registry
I am really worried about the insurance for the car. Still I 've got no policy.
The car and trailer are being shipped to Jacksonville.
We will leave april 7, so there are only 8 business days left.
Can anybody tell how fast I can get an insurance when in the USA, in case of emergency?
Blog: https://rilexm.eu/fotoboek/2009na/
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
They sell "Trip Insurance" at the port of entry that insures for your trip to 1 destination. You can also go to an insurance agent in the closest city from the port and purchase insurance with no problem. You will need your drivers license, passport for identification and registration for each vehicle (Camper).

Ask the "Federal Customs Agent" that looks at your vehicles for information. Do Not ask a dock worker. Trust the Federal Customs Agent that will do your import paperwork.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #3

Look Here:
American Automotive Association (AAA)
http://www.autoclubgroup.com/chicago...aspx?zip=60601

Call AAA right away, today. USA 866.968.7222

The following is a Camping Club
http://www.goodsamclub.com/DefaultMember.aspx

Old 03-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Lex, I don't know if this has been discussed here, but most large US RV parks have a 50Amp service at the RV hook-up that is 240Volts/60Hz.

If you bring a female receptacle with you that your RV will plug into, you can buy the parts or have an electrician make up a short adapter with your Euro-receptacle on one end and a USA/CA 50A/240VAC plug on the other. You won't be able to use anything with a motor without risking over-speed, but but you will should be able to have lights and recharge your battery. The Euro-receptacles will NOT be available here in North America. It would be good if you can bring a basic electrical diagram of how the Euro-system of receptacles and plugs are wired for your system so he can sort out the neutrals and grounds to ensure safety.

Otherwise, you will have to do without or bring a step-up transformer...

Likewise, you will probably have to make some arrangement to deal with the difference in LP fittings.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Look Here:
American Automotive Association (AAA)
http://www.autoclubgroup.com/chicago...aspx?zip=60601

[b]Call AAA right away, today. USA 866.968.7222

The following is a Camping Club
http://www.goodsamclub.com/DefaultMember.aspx
Thanks Darwin.
I am member of the Goodsamclub. They got very serious email problems: I didn't get any reply on several email messages to get ERS. Eventually I got it within a couple of minutes by phone
In case of emergency I will look for a local agent in Jacksonville.

Pete, I got my self a 1500W 110 -> 220V converter. It is waiting in Florida. I prepared a short lead with a Euro contra plug on one end and need a US plug for the other end.
What is LP?
Old 03-26-2009, 08:34 AM   #6

You really need to contact the American Automotive Association as they will know what to do.

AAA Auto Club Southwww.aaa.com

4320 Deerwood Lake Pkwy # 109
Jacksonville, FL 32216
(904) 565-7722

Electrical:

In the USA the:
Hot Wire is Black and it attaches to the Brass Screw in the Plug.
The Return wire is White and attaches to the silver looking Screw on the Plug.
The Ground Wire is Green and attaches to the Green painted screw in the plug.

You need to know what wire in your camper is hot, which is the return (Netural) and which one is the ground.

You may need to see an electrician if you can not figure it out and AAA will point you in the right direction.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
You really need to contact the American Automotive Association as they will know what to do.

AAA Auto Club Southwww.aaa.com

4320 Deerwood Lake Pkwy # 109
Jacksonville, FL 32216
(904) 565-7722

Electrical:

In the USA the:
Hot Wire is Black and it attaches to the Brass Screw in the Plug.
The Return wire is White and attaches to the silver looking Screw on the Plug.
The Ground Wire is Green and attaches to the Green painted screw in the plug.

You need to know what wire in your camper is hot, which is the return (Netural) and which one is the ground.

You may need to see an electrician if you can not figure it out and AAA will point you in the right direction.
Thanks for the address, Darwin.

In continental Europe wiring of hot and return is interchangeable (if you know what I mean).
The converter has a European plug, according the info on the webpage. So hot and return must be no problem.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #8

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
What is LP?
LP = Propane (liquified petroleum).

If I remember correctly the American and European fittings for propane tanks are different.

Regarding the AC power wiring - normally the brown wire is the line side, the blue wire is the neutral with a green with yellow tracer for the safety ground. In some European countries they don't use neutral so both brown and blue are hot (with respect to the safety ground).
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #9

I lived in Europe and Asia for over 12 years and used the transformers.

If you get shocked by touching an appliance and a ground, unplug the transformer and plug it in the other way.

If you still get shocked, unplug what U have plugged into the transformer and then plug it in the other way.

The ones we used over there were called Autotransformers and aree not quite the same as a normal transformer.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #10

Darwin, the colors you gave describe the 120VAC connectors, not the 24OVAC connectors in which the neutral will not be used (Black to Red is 240VAC; Black or Red to Neutral is only 120VAC). Lex will need the black and red connected to the two interchangeable hot leads on his receptacle because the objective here is to use the 50Amp/240VAC receptacle on the CG pedestal.

Lex, LP is the gaz, or Liquid Petroleum (aka Propane) and the connectors I saw in Germany were quite different from the connectors used in North America -- I ran into a German couple in a German Sprinter van in Canada that was having trouble getting a refill.

Lex, check the small print on your electronic voltage converter and you will likely see that its spec says something like "50W to 1500W" -- On the ones that work the other way, 240VAC to 120VAC, the first 50W is at 240VAC, then the circuitry changes the voltage.

I found this out the hard way with a US-spec microwave oven in Germany -- The voltage converter fried the clock mechanism on the m/w! These are intended for use on things like hair dryers, not delicate circuitry, although putting 120VAC into your 240VAC system may not be a problem.

I don't believe they do anything about 50Hz-60Hz. When I used the m/w with a large transformer like Darwin describes, the clocking mechanism was off by 10hz!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #11

Registry
Most of the stuff is already dealt with in http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=21175
I 've got a LP-'converter'.
We only need max 10A current at 110V (or is it 120V).
Electrics is used for battery charger, coffeemaker, water boiler, mini oven, electrical wok (all ask less then 5A at 230V.
I 've been told that maybe my 230V AC -> 12V DC converter will produce noise because of the 60 Hz. In that case I 'll switch it off and use the battery for 12V.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #12

North American voltage can actually be in a range of approximately 110-125VAC, and double that for across both lines in the box (180* out of 'phase' with each other). Be sure to look at your appliances with micro-circuitry (like the coffeepot timer) carefully the first couple of times you use them with your voltage converter in case there are low-voltage problems.

Personally, I prefer range-top coffee makers like a Bilaletti Moka because I often camp where there isn't any kind of electrical service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_Express
Old 03-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
They sell "Trip Insurance" at the port of entry that insures for your trip to 1 destination. You can also go to an insurance agent in the closest city from the port and purchase insurance with no problem. You will need your drivers license, passport for identification and registration for each vehicle (Camper).

Ask the "Federal Customs Agent" that looks at your vehicles for information. Do Not ask a dock worker. Trust the Federal Customs Agent that will do your import paperwork.
Got it

A Dutch agent told me that is very difficult, if not impossible to get insurance locally.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #14

Instead of converting your electricity from our 110 to your 220 just buy a coffee pot at Wal-Mart that sets on the gas stove, A microwave for less than $50, and a n extension cord (12 gauge wire) and run it through the hole where your original wire goes through and plug in your new American Purchased items into it.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Instead of converting your electricity from our 110 to your 220 just buy a coffee pot at Wal-Mart that sets on the gas stove, A microwave for less than $50, and a n extension cord (12 gauge wire) and run it through the hole where your original wire goes through and plug in your new American Purchased items into it.
We got the devices to make coffee without electricity.
We don't need a microwave.
The fridge needs 220V

Btw, is the 'Melitta-cone'-system common in N America ffor making coffee?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We use the Melitta when camping. Mostly because one of us is decaf and the other drinks caffeine. Makes it easier to just have our own little systems. When at home we use electric, two pots.

The Melitta system tastes much better, even the decaf is almost good.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
We use the Melitta when camping. Mostly because one of us is decaf and the other drinks caffeine. Makes it easier to just have our own little systems. When at home we use electric, two pots.

The Melitta system tastes much better, even the decaf is almost good.

Nancy
Thanks Nancy.
So we don't have to import the nr 4 's ;-)

Next question: how about the Senseo Crema machine ?

Btw, is Moorhead northern MN ?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #18

Lex,

By Senseo do you mean the machine with the little coffee discs? Looked at one years ago, since then I have not noticed if they continued being popular. Hope others reply to that. If they make a good decaf let me know!

Douey Egbert (spelling?) is my favorite coffee. We like to stop at Burger King for their coffee. I have never had a better decaf. Wish that liquid gem was available at the store.

By the way we get our liter thermos filled at Burger King for less than a $1.

Be sure at McDonalds and Burger King that you ask for the senior discount. Can't make your own coffee for that little (but, you probably make yours much stronger).

You don't need to bring filters, they are widespread, but you may want to bring your favorite brand coffee.

Moorhead is indeed in Northern MN. This is a very sad time for the people on the North Dakota/Minnesota border. Hope Winnipeg can handle this water when it gets up north.

Nancy
Old 03-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Lex,

By Senseo do you mean the machine with the little coffee discs? Looked at one years ago, since then I have not noticed if they continued being popular. Hope others reply to that. If they make a good decaf let me know!

Douey Egbert (spelling?) is my favorite coffee. We like to stop at Burger King for their coffee. I have never had a better decaf. Wish that liquid gem was available at the store.

By the way we get our liter thermos filled at Burger King for less than a $1.

Be sure at McDonalds and Burger King that you ask for the senior discount. Can't make your own coffee for that little (but, you probably make yours much stronger).

You don't need to bring filters, they are widespread, but you may want to bring your favorite brand coffee.

Moorhead is indeed in Northern MN. This is a very sad time for the people on the North Dakota/Minnesota border. Hope Winnipeg can handle this water when it gets up north.

Nancy
The Senseo system is developed by Philips (hardware) and Douwe Egberts ('software'= pads).
It is quite popular here. We use it at home too. There are decaf pads, but we never use them, so I don't know the quality. We like the 'dark roast' most.

So buying coffee at p.e. Burger King is a 'cost effective' alternative for making it yourself?
I must memorize that ;-)

I am recently told that I 've got a real grand cousin in Moorhead.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #20

Lex, your cousin may be relocated just now. I just read that the river in Fargo/Moorhead has probably reached it's peak. Sure hope that is true. If you decide to hit Moorhead on your travels then the next town east would be Duluth. Let us know if you hit our neighborhood as we are excellent tour guides for the Duluth/North Shore of Lake Superior.

Some of the fast food places have added different coffee to their menu. Maybe they would have one strong enough for you. Don't know if they work with the "senior" discount.

Most of our Scandinavian friends call our coffee slop water. You really probably do want to bring your own grounds.

I just sent you a private message. No reply needed.

Nancy