Getting pulled over because of the trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #15

Name: April
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Oregon
Well, I guess it can happen any time, in any circumstance. We were fully co-operating, and friendly with them from the get go. They were fairly nice too, compared to other not so good experiences I have seen or been through in the past.

I think it is important to be able to openly discuss this side of the FG experience, as any one of you could also have to deal with this at some point while out traveling with your trailer. I guess it really does pay to know every inch of a used trailer before taking it out on the road.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #16

Name: Pat
Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
SW Ohio
I had a dog alert on a package of Ryecrisp crackers once. Must be a real police dog if he alerted on doughnuts......

Old 03-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #17

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
I know there is a huge Crystal Meth problem ...
There is no profile as to people because all ages of folks are making this crap. [b]Could be anybody even your neighbor.
It happened in the rental house 2 doors up my street.

It kind of gets the adrenalin going when the garage that used to be built right on the property line imitates Cape Canaveral at 3:00 AM.

(They don't have a garage anymore.)
Old 03-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #18

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I was stopped ... at a Border Patrol Checkpoint.
They said they were looking for Stowaways and were only stopping vehicles they sensed able to hide people so not all cars were stopped.
Border Patrol checkpoints are a fact of life here in San Diego County (There are 6 separate ones that I am aware of). I had an officer ASK if anyone was riding in the trailer, but I was not pulled over into secondary inspection when I said no.

(Hmmm. I wonder if he recognized me from work? My company does calibrate their evidence scales.)
Old 03-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #19

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I heard recently there was a shipment of fiberglass auto parts doors/fenders etc siezed somewhere. The problem was the fiberglass contained drugs that were to be extracted when the shipment was delivered!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 03-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Hi: All... I heard recently there was a shipment of fiberglass auto parts doors/fenders etc siezed somewhere. The problem was the fiberglass contained drugs that were to be extracted when the shipment was delivered!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
That happens with clothing. T-shirts are a favorite article to soak in a liquid cocaine. I wonder how many trailers end up buried so meth cookers think they can hide under dirt?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe No More .. Sob!
Registry
I was once stopped at a small border station in Northern Washington. I asked the border patrol guy if he was getting much traffic. He allowed that it was pretty quiet. He asked if I'd had the 13' Scamp long. I said "No", would he like to take a look inside. He said, "could I?"

We did the tour and all of a sudden he stopped and said "I'm sorry this isn't an inspection, my wife and I have been talking about getting a little trailer and this is the first of these I've seen."

We both laughed and I went off down the road.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Just for the record, I believe there is a large difference between 'profiling', like stopping trailers or trucks, versus 'racial profiling'. I believe the former is legal and the latter may not be.

And if a topic pertains to hauling a trailer on the road, or parking one, it's grist for the mill here, IMHO! That would mean to me that we can discuss trailer-profiling here, but not racial-profiling.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:08 AM   #23

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
I had an officer ASK if anyone was riding in the trailer,
I was asked this question last week at some remote checkpoint between El Centro and Yuma. My answer was a dumb one.. but I did it anyway, with a smile.....

"Not anyone I like".

The officer laughed instead of scowling.. but a big old dog was sniffing my rig at the same time too.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #24

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

Hmm. That is a thought when buying a used trailer. You don't know those people from Adam. They could have forgotten a little baggy that would lose you the trailer and your car. Maybe the best would be to take a newly purchased trailer to the nearest police station and have it checked. At any rate, you should have a signed and dated receipt, and the title dated and signed over to you.

Just watch "Cops". They stop a suspicious vehicle and if permission is withheld, they detain the person until the K9 unit gets there, or they can get a warrant. It can change by state, county, or even police department how they handle this type of thing.

Thanks for a good subject. People, please don't use drugs. Hundreds of persons are killed because of the darn stuff in Ciudad Juarez alone.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/juarez/ci_11830672

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #25

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
Hmm. That is a thought when buying a used trailer. You don't know those people from Adam. They could have forgotten a little baggy that would lose you the trailer and your car. Maybe the best would be to take a newly purchased trailer to the nearest police station and have it checked. At any rate, you should have a signed and dated receipt, and the title dated and signed over to you.

Just watch "Cops". They stop a suspicious vehicle and if permission is withheld, they detain the person until the K9 unit gets there, or they can get a warrant. It can change by state, county, or even police department how they handle this type of thing.

Thanks for a good subject. People, please don't use drugs. Hundreds of persons are killed because of the darn stuff in Ciudad Juarez alone.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/juarez/ci_11830672
My attorney, a long time ago, said that when you are asked the question, "can we look in your car or trailer?" The answer should be no. Reason being, you don't know if there is a hidden compartment if you bought the car/trailer used, or worse, if one of your kids use, or a guest who travelled with you and lost a small sample, you could be held liable.

Tough call... I think I would refuse. And I am a law-abiding citizen. But it qualifies as innocent until proven guilty. Very few of us own our vehicles all their lives. If by refusing we are acting suspicious, when they find nothing, then we are rectified, and if they find something, the answer can still be, "that is not mine!" Then the courts have to straighten out whether it was a justifiable search or not.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #26

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
I'll add to Donna's comments. It's no secret here that I am a 35 year law enforcement veteran and administrator. I have some experience in this area.

Search and seizure is a very complex area of law as evidenced by volumes of case law at both state and federal level. The search and seizure laws regarding vehicles are dramatically different from state to state, and dramatically different from search and seizure as applied to residences. Trailers are generally considered vehicles when attached and going down the road. They're not considered a "residence" until set up that way. There may not be a requirement that a warrant issue for a vehicle given the circumstances.

There is no such thing as an "illegal" search, only "unreasonable" searches. You may or may not have a right to refuse to allow an officer to search your vehicle (and your trailer when not occupied in a campsite) depending on the circumstances, statutory law, and case law in the jurisdiction where you are when the search occurs. If you choose to object, that's fine; just recognize that you don't have the "right" to prevent an officer from searching should he so choose. All you can do is protest the search as unreasonable in court. You may not like having your vehicle searched on the highway, but there may be nothing "unreasonable" about it.

If you choose not to allow a warrantless (consent search) of your vehicle, and the officer has developed probable cause to search the vehicle for evidence of a crime, or for "contraband per se", it is entirely probable that your entire rig will be impounded in a secure location until a warrant can be sought. That is the "usual and customary" way vehicle searches pursuant to a warrant are conducted.

"Profiling" as commonly defined in law involves members of a "specific class" of folks, and has nothing to do with vehicles.

Right, wrong, or indifferent... some of the "rules" of search and seizure have changed since 9/11/01.

Allow me to suggest that you don't get yourself into trouble trying to assert "rights" you may not actually have. I have found often that the pubic perception of law is substantially different from the interpretation of law by the courts and actual implementation of law by law enforcement.

Roger
Old 03-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #27

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
THANK YOU Roger.........for a most excellent answer to this question and for so many years of service.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #28

Trailer: 2008 Lil Bunk 18 ft / 1975 IH Scout II
>> ... if you bought the car/trailer used ...

We bought a used Mazda Protege from Hertz. Several years later, while traveling thru Roswell, NM, the check engine light came on. It was a simple problem. While they were fixing it, I had them change the fuel filter, since it was located under the rear seat. They found a bunch of 14 gauge shotgun shells under the seat.

Living on the Mexican border, I have a different view on being searched. We live on a major smuggling route. The Border Patrol helicopter searches this area 2 or 3 times a week. Tomorrow, we will go thru the Border Patrol checkpoint on our way to Tucson. We have never been searched, but, we expect it will happen some day. About 1 in 4 times they have a drug dog. Last month, the tug & trailer got sniffed by the drug dog. Not interested.