Getting pulled over because of the trailer - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #29

Trailer: 2007 Casita
hmmmmmm, I don't know if I have this opinion cause I don't use any recreational drugs anymore or not, Yes I said anymore, heck I grew up in the 70's the era of sex, drugs, rock-n-roll. But my thoughts now as an older women is if they stop me cause they are looking for possible meth lab rolling down the highway, I have no problem with them searching! I have nothing to hide and I would rather be inconvenienced so they can get that stuff off the streets!

Now that being said, I have thought about what others have said about buying a used trailer etc and it having left over's from the previous owners. That would just suck! Robin

Old 03-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #30

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
I have no problem with them searching! I have nothing to hide and I would rather be inconvenienced so they can ...
Agreed Robin,
Let them do their job, they are there to protect. We don't always know what they are looking for or why. Who knows if we match the description of an escaped axe murderer reported to be seen travelling on the same route.

My question to Roger is what would his recommendations be on how to act?
Slow down and pull over ASAP, or a little further up the road if there is a safer location (e.g. on/off ramp or wider shoulder)
Stay in vehicle, roll down window, keep hands on wheels?
Turn off engine or wait for instructions?

Yes it might be an inconvenience, but I'd rather not act in a manner that might invoke a situation.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #31

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Boler 1300 1969 (flat roof)
Ontario
Quote:
... how to act?
Slow down and pull over ASAP, or a little further up the road if there is a safer location (e.g. on/off ramp or wider shoulder)
Stay in vehicle, roll down window, keep hands on wheels?
Turn off engine or wait for instructions?

Yes it might be an inconvenience, but I'd rather not act in a manner that might invoke a situation.
Several years ago we were van camping on a trip down east and were driving late into the night through New Brunswick. My van is basically a cargo van and at the time had no side windows. I had been sleeping when my GF pulled over so we could switch. I had just gotten back in the van after running for a few minutes to wake up and taking care of business in the bush when a police car stopped behind us with it's lights flashing. I figured he thought we were broken down and stopped to help, so I thought I'd save him the trouble of getting out of his car and hopped out to go tell him. I had longer hair at the time and probably looked pretty scruffy after hours on the road. I didn't make it more than a few yards when the officer jumped out of his car, dropped to one knee, put his hand on his gun and yelled "get back in the car!" Gave me more than a bit of a scare, certainly woke me up.

Turns out we were stopped right in the middle of an off ramp in the middle of nowhere that doesn't see much traffic and the officer thought it looked a bit suspicious. He was quite friendly afterwards and told me I gave him quite a fright coming towards him like that given the situation.

Needless to say I will now sit quietly in my vehicle with the radio off and my hands on the wheel... These guys have to be prepared for the worst and I certainly don't mind a slight inconvenience once in a while.

Kevin
Old 03-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #32

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Needless to say I will now sit quietly in my vehicle with the radio off and my hands on the wheel...
Yep, you know who they are, but they don't have a clue who you are, what you may have just done (robbed a convenience store), or getting ready to do (shoot them). Sitting quietly with your hands in plain view and no sudden movements is a very good idea.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #33

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
One again, Donna... you beat me to the punch!

Roy... the best advice I can offer is to act normally. Be conversational. Don't do anything that would cause an officer to be alarmed. Unfortunately, most folks don't like it very much when the on-duty officer they're talking to becomes alarmed.

Roger
Old 03-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #34

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
I think the discussion about used vehicles is a good one.

In my 'youth', a friend bought an old VW wagon and we went camping in Canada soon afterwards. Although he had cleaned it out very well, when coming back accross the border we were inspected pretty closely, looking a little rough around the edges after tent camping for a week. A small white pill, could of been anything, found in the door pocket resulted in our entire car and belongings being search........

And this was 35 years ago........

I think when buying a used trailer it would be very wise to go through it very carefully. I can't remember if our Burro has ever been inspected coming back from BC, but having done a pretty extensive renovation we're pretty sure we know every inch of it - unless something's hiding in the wall! Dogs patrol the ferry lines here in the NW and so far we've never gotten any attention.

Not to make light of an important subject, but maybe there should be a place to take a used trailer and have them canine inspected. Could be work for retired canine patrol dogs!

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #35

Trailer: Casita
I was brought up to respect authority long before I went to college and read "The Prince". Therefore I yield to authority no matter what Machiavelli haters have to say. If I get a bad cop he could maybe do me harm. That is the price I pay for a stable society... the norm is good.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:50 AM   #36

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Not to make light of an important subject, but maybe there should be a place to take a used trailer and have them canine inspected. Could be work for retired canine patrol dogs!
Jeez, if you should happen to find something, don't touch it -- Read recently about someone finding sack of heroin or something, taking it to police station and getting arrested for possession! Dunno if true, but I can see it would be a technical violation... I'd be inclined to make appointment with local police to have used vehicle inspected by dog (might talk them into it as training or something), then one wouldn't have to wonder -- A nice, new registration should go a long way towards proving likelihood of non-drug ownership.

I know there are no bomb materials in my used truck because it's been sniffed many times by the bomb dogs supporting the ferry system -- Friend's wife was asked the other day to participate in dog exercise by them putting something in her vehicle (She's a good-looking blond, which is likely why they asked her) and she learned that they like to train ball-obsessed dogs because they are easy to reward. I hope her exercise didn't leave any residue for another dog to find.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #37

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
I hope her exercise didn't leave any residue for another dog to find.
Would that be a good reason for a body search? ;-)
Old 03-08-2009, 07:21 AM   #38

Oregon
Gosh and here I always thought if I was buying a used trailer, it was my responsibility to check the trailer thoroughly to make certain it's in sound shape. No rot in the floor under the dinette seats etc. Am I the only one that would want to poke in every possible corner and cupboard to see what's what before I plunk the cash down? I THOROUGH inspection before buying should reassure someone the trailer they are buying doesn't have any hidey holes to stuff full of contraband. Purchasing a used tug... I doubt that I'd take door panels and interior cabin panels off however.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:48 AM   #39

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Donna, I was carrying a .22 rifle for a few years and had a coffee can under the bench seat in the back where I kept a couple of boxes of cartridges -- The can spilled a couple of times, but I picked them all up, or so I thought.

Recently, the can and rifle long gone, I was cleaning up in that area and found *another* cartridge... No big deal but I'd hate for Mexican police to have found that if I were down there.

BTW, when I was being searched at a US/BC border near Skagway, I think it was, (This was the border guy with the rep for scoring lots of US handguns from ferry riders heading up the road to AK -- He was CONVINCED that I had just come off the ferry with a handgun, even though I had given him the paperwork for me and the .22 rifle, clearly showing entry near Blaine WA) -- He asked where I kept the ammo and lit up when he saw the coffee can, rooting through it looking for 9mm stuf or the like! Just .22! Should have seen him light up again when he asked what was in a plastic box, I said computer stuf, he picks up small heavy black zippered case -- His face looked like a kid at Christmas finding coal in stocking when he opened the case and found a computer battery -- We then went through much the same thing when he discovered the heavy toiletries case between the driver's seat and door which turned out to be full of quarters for laundry.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #40

Oregon
I know those things happen firsthand Pete. I needed to travel for work... and I had a purse with a hidden compartment for weapons and stuff. Took out the weapon and stowed it, but there was a cartridge down in a seam that I didn't see. I had to go through a security checkpoint, and because of that one bullet... I had areas of my body checked that usually only a doctor would see. I couldn't/wouldn't complain, it was my own dang fault.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #41

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Unhappy

We were stopped by a police officer at night some years ago. Having had conversations with a friend who is a police officer, I knew what to do:

Turn on interior lights, turn off engine and radio, roll down window a few inches and place wrists on steering wheel and follow instructions.

Turns out they were looking for another vehicle of the same make only a slightly different color, brown vs black.

I often wonder what the officer thought. "This guy has had experience with the law?"

http://www.askdeputycraig.com/

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #42

Name: Pat
Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
SW Ohio
MY husband's car was stolen by a neighbor's kid once and used over a long weekend when we were away. I asked the SP's (He was in the Navy) if they could inspect the car with a dog. We made an appointment and BINGO.....the puppy alerted. So insurance paid to have the car interior detailed 3 times. After each detailing I had "Demak" inspect the car. Third time was a charm.

If you call ahead and explain your situation, most law enforcement personnel are very accommodating. Even they thought it was a good idea.