Getting pulled over because of the trailer - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-11-2009, 02:12 AM   #71

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Here I thought he meant to say "inconvenience" and just inadvertently typed the other.

April: Glad you had a good trip overall, and the house looks neat. I bet it was great to just pull in with your egg and not feel like you had to make a place to live right when you got there.

I'm really sorry to hear that a police dog scratched your trailer - that part of it seems pretty inexcusable, for a routine stop with no particular probable cause (I may be using that term wrong - I mean that April and rig were not doing anything to cause them to be pulled over except traveling with a trailer). Ooh, I would be mad if that happened to me! I wonder if there is any responsibility taken for that? Or is it just allowed as part of doing business?

Raya

Old 03-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #72

Name: April
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Oregon
I hope this thread is not pushing the line on politics, as it was trailer related. Had we been traveling in just our car, I expect we would not have had the same experience, and I would not have posted about it here. We were being careful to drive safely, so we did not provoke the stops. If anything it can be a warning to anyone on this list who plan to travel through that area any time soon pulling their trailer, to be aware of what might happen to them. I also imagine the "traps" are moved from one place to another so I guess it might prove pointless to say just that corridor of I-40 is being patrolled in such a way.
As far as the dog scratches, we just have to live with it until we can afford to do the paint job. I guess we are lucky we had not already paid for a new paint job. I suppose we could issue some kind of a complaint, but in the long run I don't think anything would be done about it, and we would just be wasting our time. It did get me thinking though, when they do cause property damage, and do not find what they are searching for, who is responsible? I am just counting my blessings that we did not have a worse experience and that now we know what to expect when we go back up there to work on the house again. Might just have to leave our trailer at home next time. I think I grew a few more gray hairs on this trip...

Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #73

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Arizona
Quote:
Patrick, I feel for you sitting there waiting in a room full of people waiting to possibly be called up to Jury Duty. Been there, done that too many times. IMHO the biggest waste of human resources our governments have ever devised. In this day and age, the least they could do would be provide everyone with a cubicle, power and internet access. That way we could either get some work done, educate or entertain ourselves rather than wasting time waiting for the possible honour of serving.
Roy,

In California, now, it's one day or one trial. They didn't call a single panel and we were released at 3:00.

They did have four cubicles with desktops and excellent wifi for everyone else.

It was [b]almost painless. I did lose a small Swiss Army Knife. In the morning I took my car and sterilized my key chain. We had 2 1/2 hours for lunch so I came home. My son was home from school and didn't have to work so I took his SUV for the afternoon session. I forgot to remove the knife I had on that key ring. To avoid the traffic after court hours, I had parked further away than usual. When they caught me trying to sneak a 1 1/2" blade past security I had to take it back to the truck. I was just going to cache it someplace so I could retrieve it later, but when I saw the "characters" hanging around outside, I decided just to toss it in the trash.

They don't pay for the first day, so my duty cost me $20 plus gas.

Pat
Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #74

Name: Faith
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio/Mississippi
Talking

While visiting Arizona during the last two weeks we found five of the border patrol check points. Three with the Scamp and two without. We had NO difficulty at all.
Let me remind all of us that in the days following 9-11 we were all in favor of "The Patriot Act." This is the federal law that is designed to protect us from ourselves. It also goes beyond the state and local laws. Kind of like catching fish with dynamite. I figure that the guys we met were doing their job, even though I don't agree with it. It is still the law. Make the best of it, Smile.
Then go home and contact your congressmen and senators and tell them that you want this modified.
Faith
77S13

Old 03-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #75

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
In California, now, it's one day or one trial.
They don't pay for the first day, so my duty cost me $20 plus gas.
That's reasonable, in Ontario it's a week, no pay till after 2 weeks and that does not cover transit and lunch. Somewhere after that it bumps up to barely cover your expenses. Who ever coined the phrase "Crime doesn't pay" must have been a juror at one time.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #76

Name: Jen
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
It did get me thinking though, when they do cause property damage, and do not find what they are searching for, who is responsible?
Around here (Central Coast of Cal.) if a city employee "allegedly" ('cause that's how the city sees the claim) causes damage to personal property, the damaged party files a complaint with the city, the city denies it and sends it back to damaged party to seek their OWN insurance coverage. The city MAY send the REMAINING cost to their own insurer.
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #77

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
On the other hand, I once drove through this sharp, "square" pothole (which the city had obviously just made that day since it was my regular route) and broke off one of my shock mounts. There were no cones or other warning devices, and the deep square covered one whole lane.

I called the city and spoke with them about it and they reimbursed my cost to have the mount welded back together. This was in the upper Midwest.

Raya
Old 03-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #78

Trailer: 73 Boler
Quote:
Steveo, don't take this one thread out of context, this 'RV profiling' stuf is uncommon at best and this is the first I had ever heard of it (and I've been RVing since '96, with nine of those years as a Full Timer -- Never stopped except once for actual traffic violation, not counting borders. Profiling happens at the borders, but not for RVs; reportedly for RV's with Texas tags (Wild West folks *must* be carrying handguns, right? <g>).
I have to admit that this thread was putting me on edge a little bit, thinking to myself "what did i get into?!" I'm glad this isn't a common occurrence, but I will say that this has been a good educational discussion for me. Now at least when I do head to the states (and even around home) I will have an idea what to expect at these checkpoints if I do happen to run into one.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #79

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
Ya, our system isn't TOO bad. And the whole thing is on a phone in basis too... call in the day before and find out if you have to show up or not. TYPICALLY, though, it is only 1/2 in advence... gotta call in again in the morning to see about reporting in the afternoon. Don't remember the last time I had to sit in the "bull pen" and just kill a day.

Quote:
That's reasonable, in Ontario it's a week, no pay till after 2 weeks and that does not cover transit and lunch. Somewhere after that it bumps up to barely cover your expenses. Who ever coined the phrase "Crime doesn't pay" must have been a juror at one time.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #80

Name: April
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Oregon
Quote:
I have to admit that this thread was putting me on edge a little bit, thinking to myself "what did i get into?!" I'm glad this isn't a common occurrence, but I will say that this has been a good educational discussion for me. Now at least when I do head to the states (and even around home) I will have an idea what to expect at these checkpoints if I do happen to run into one.
I hope I didn't scare anyone with this thread, I know it is not a regular occurrence, I have traveled in a single vehicle for many years all over the central and NW regions and never once got pulled over. I guess that is why I felt such a shock when we did get stopped in TN. I feel I must repeat the fact that they were friendly and did not treat us poorly. I imagine that if you don't have something to hide, you will have a similar experience. Just have to sit and let them do their thing.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:17 AM   #81

Ontario
Quote:
the whole thing is on a phone in basis too... call in the day before and find out if you have to show up or not.
That is incredible! I would only have to tentatively shut my business down for a day or even a part day.

Too bad what I do for a living is illegal in California, I think I'd rather pay your government my annual license fees than mine. It costs me about $3 an hour just to have my ticket to try to earn a living.

Brings a whole new meaning to "California Dreaming"
Old 03-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #82

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
hahaha...Roy, I hesitate to ask.. but what could POSSIBLY be illegal in Calif yet legal in your neck of the woods???

The phone in system works well. because you are in "groups" the message is generic and sez something like... "if you are in groups 115,116, or 117, please report tomorrow morning at 8AM If you are in another group please call back after 8AM tomorrow". And if YOUR group is say 118 you are pretty sure that tomorrow morning YOU will get instructions to report at 1PM, whereas if you are in group 125, you are pretty sure you are "safe" until at least "the day after tomorrow." No guarantees, but you can forecast a bit.

And like the other poster said, if you go down to the court house. that's it. If you don't get assidned to a courtroom, your service is concluded at the and of that day. If you do get assigned, your service is generally over when the judge releases you... either you are excused or at the conclusion of the trial. the only exception is if you get assigned to a court room real early, and get turned loose fast... excused, or the trial is off (plea bargain, whatever) then you DO go back into the jury pool for the rest of that day. You COULD get sent out to another courtroom... But if you are not cut loose by the judge "early enough" to get reassigned that same day, you are DONE.

Quote:
That is incredible! I would only have to tentatively shut my business down for a day or even a part day.

Too bad what I do for a living is illegal in California, I think I'd rather pay your government my annual license fees than mine. It costs me about $3 an hour just to have my ticket to try to earn a living.

Brings a whole new meaning to "California Dreaming"
Old 03-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #83

Ontario
Quote:
what could POSSIBLY be illegal in Calif yet legal in your neck of the woods???
Some occupations in health care.