Getting ready to order a Lil Snoozy - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #41

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth G View Post
. The rpod was really beautiful inside. It was roomier, because of the slide out. It was nicer inside than the scamp or lil snoozy.
Ruth
Can you elaborate on this comment?
I can not understand what you mean exactly about the RPOD being "Nicer" but then you go on to say it is not as nice?
At least that is how I read it.
Is the color scheme better for you but the quality not or what?

I ask because when I have been inside an Rpod they seem much more cramped than an Egg and with typical bad construction to boot so this comment has me wondering?

I also have been buying and selling trailers to move up each time and it is a fairly simple process really.
I have held on to them each for a while making improvements usually and then selling them for a reasonable but not crazy profit I think and it has been a lot of fun in the process.

Also I wonder if anyone really knows what the inside wall finish is exactly in a Snoozy?

Thanks
Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #42

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Ed,
If you go here, you can see interior pictures of Lil Snoozy. It's white semi smooth fiberglass. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-47393.html
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #43

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Ed,

The rpod is really nice inside. It feels much roomier than the scamp. The slide out gives alot of extra room. The cabinets look nicer, nicer finish, much better design of cabinets. The scamps cabinets are weird inside, there are wires, stuff going thru the cabinets. They scamp cabinets are weird shaped. The rpods are much nicer to use and to look at. I also really loved the rpod bed, a real bed, that was a real mattress. Not some cushions that can go up and down.

But, the rpod's construction is not as good. I always was waiting to break the screen door (never did). It felt flimsy. Also, on my model, the television was hanging down above the bed. I was always thinking we were gonna crack our heads but good on that location. I sold the rpod because i was worried about the quality.

I chose the lil snoozy because it's fiberglass, hopefully better made than the rpod. I also want a full time mattress, and I want decent cabinets.

I really like all the windows in the lil snoozy. The scamp feels too dark inside. I don't like the dark cabinets. The lil snoozy hopefully will be bright inside. Stay tuned, I'll tell you about how I like the lil snoozy. Two weeks to go....til the lil snoozy.

I've enjoyed buying and selling trailers, it's been a fun hobby. My friends think I'm crazy. Might be a little truth in that.
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #44

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Ruth

It sounds like you've given this a lot of thought.
Will you be picking the trailer up at the factory?
I'm really eager to hear about how she tows and handles on the road- I hope you'll post "reviews" etc when you get home!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #45

I have been thinking about this alot. Everyone needs a weird hobby.

My recommendation to scamp would be to paint all the woodwork inside white, to lighten the inside of the trailer and it will feel bigger. My 3rd scamp was all white inside, it felt much bigger, and it was a 13 foot scamp.

I will keep you updated with the lil snoozy progress. there are things I'm still learning, and I've gotten some great advice from people here. I'll also post pictures and information as I learn more. I need to learn more about charging the battery, plug for the tow vehicle... never had a generator before either. And this will be my first cassette toilet.

My ideal trailer needs a minimum of maintenance, tows great, is big enough, but not too big. The rpod was too big and felt too heavy. The scamps tow beautifully. The rpod was low to the ground. My family thought I was just gonna get bigger and bigger trailers. No, I decided that the rpod was too big for my taste, it was just harder to tow.

If I go camping, I want to enjoy time outside with the dogs. I don't need every convenience known. I want a comfortable bed (too old to sleep on the ground), air conditioning (when it's really hot here, like right now), a bathroom ( that older bladder thing) and it's really nice to have a refrigerator. I need a way to contain the dogs if we want to go kayaking. I turn on the air conditioner, and leave them in comfort.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #46

Registry
Hi, Ruth

Do you camp mostly with hookups, or are you buying a generator big enough to supply power for air conditioning, heat, etc.?

Francesca
Old 07-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #47

I usually camp with hookups. But, I don't like camping close to other people. Have the problem of 4 dogs with me. So, I want to expand my camping, and go where there aren't people. I ordered a honda generator with the lil snoozy, it's supposed to be small, lightweight, and can run the air conditioner if I'm not using the microwave. It's a honda EU2000i. This is my first experience of using a generator.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #48

Registry
Well, I'm not a generator user myself, but I wonder if you're a bit underpowered...
You might be OK if you're not trying to power anything but the A/C (or heater in winter)- these are by far the highest-use electrics in the trailer.
It's unclear to me how your trailer battery is charged, for example...
Some people buy a companion unit to the EU200i to increase the wattage available. Of course, that's another $1,000 or so.
Honda's homepage has a "use calculator" that helps to determine how much wattage you need- you might find it useful to play around with.
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...alculator.aspx

Francesca
Old 07-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #49

I think the Snoozy has a Window AC unit stuck in the back wall.
In general a 2000 watt Honda should have no issue running that at all.
I wonder why if you are not a generator user and are not familiar with the AC unit why you would think it was underpowered?

My 2000 will easily run my 8000 btu unit and anything else I will run with it except maybe the Microwave at the same time.
Sometimes it will,sometimes it won't.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #50

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I think the Snoozy has a Window AC unit stuck in the back wall.
In general a 2000 watt Honda should have no issue running that at all.
I wonder why if you are not a generator user and are not familiar with the AC unit why you would think it was underpowered?

My 2000 will easily run my 8000 btu unit and anything else I will run with it except maybe the Microwave at the same time.
Sometimes it will,sometimes it won't.
I think Francesca was speaking about 11-13,000 btu conventional rv a/c and not the 5,000 btu units some of the Egger's may have and Lil Snoozy. In reality a 1,000 watt unit maybe adequate w/o knowing the spec's of the unit. That is one advantage of the smaller units, smaller generators.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #51

Registry
The Snoozy is all-electric, equipped with a 30-amp (>3000 watts) 110v power supply. The EU2000i is a 1600 watt (continuous) generator.
Presumably Ruth will plug the trailer in to the generator. Only Ruth knows what options she'll be running when camping without hookups. A/C? Heat? Fridge? Battery charger? Computer? Lights? Cooking? etc.
Going to Honda's help page and adding it all up would tell the tale.

Francesca
Old 07-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #52

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth G View Post
Ed,

The rpod is really nice inside. It feels much roomier than the scamp. The slide out gives alot of extra room. The cabinets look nicer, nicer finish, much better design of cabinets. The scamps cabinets are weird inside, there are wires, stuff going thru the cabinets. They scamp cabinets are weird shaped. The rpods are much nicer to use and to look at. I also really loved the rpod bed, a real bed, that was a real mattress. Not some cushions that can go up and down.

But, the rpod's construction is not as good. I always was waiting to break the screen door (never did). It felt flimsy. Also, on my model, the television was hanging down above the bed. I was always thinking we were gonna crack our heads but good on that location. I sold the rpod because i was worried about the quality.

I chose the lil snoozy because it's fiberglass, hopefully better made than the rpod. I also want a full time mattress, and I want decent cabinets.

I really like all the windows in the lil snoozy. The scamp feels too dark inside. I don't like the dark cabinets. The lil snoozy hopefully will be bright inside. Stay tuned, I'll tell you about how I like the lil snoozy. Two weeks to go....til the lil snoozy.

I've enjoyed buying and selling trailers, it's been a fun hobby. My friends think I'm crazy. Might be a little truth in that.
Too dark inside?, dark cabinets? Let's just say I'm your friend!
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 006.jpg   Eggy-Sue inside 008.jpg  

Eggy-Sue inside 009.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #53

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I believe that a 1000 watt generator won't have enough starting amps for the AC to get going... I read recently that a 5K btu AC needs around 1400 or 1500 watts (for those first few seconds) to start up.

The Snoozy will be a foot shorter and a foot lower height than the Pod, a little lighter weight, and I think more aerodynamic overall. I think it will tow easier and feel better to you, Ruth. The outer shell should certainly feel more rigid and durable.

Personally I enjoy the look of wood; it makes me feel like I have a homey cabin. My present trailer has not just wood cabinets but also wood paneling. With the right layout it still feels spacious. White cabinets look too sterile to me. Everyone's different!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #54

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I kinda agree with Ruth about the "darkness." The wood in my 1988 is darkening with age, just like all wood. I do have the side bath, so only one window on that side and am grateful I have the large window in the front. Between the beige rat fur and the brown wood and tan formica I'm being gagged with brown. Consequently the floor is going to be BRIGHT and much brighter curtains too. Also, I think adding another roof vent, this time a Fantastic Fan near the front, will bring more light inside.

As an Oregonian, I often camp in the trees so would appreciate as much "light" as I can get. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
The Snoozy is all-electric, equipped with a 30-amp (>3000 watts) 110v power supply. The EU2000i is a 1600 watt (continuous) generator.
Presumably Ruth will plug the trailer in to the generator. Only Ruth knows what options she'll be running when camping without hookups. A/C? Heat? Fridge? Battery charger? Computer? Lights? Cooking? etc.
Going to Honda's help page and adding it all up would tell the tale.

Francesca
OK

The fact that the converter and cable and plug are rated for 30amp has nothing at all to do with the current needs or draw of the trailer.

Your house likely has 100amp service but that sheds little light(pun intended)on your current needs or even the setup of your breakers.

If you look at your breaker or fuse panel you will note they combined current rating should exceed the service current rating.

The only relevant numbers are the draw of the appliances and the tiny AC unit I saw pictured in a Snoozy is much lower draw than an overhead AC unit.

I am not trying to start a fight really I just thought it was worth noting that after disclaiming any 1st hand experience with generators,the advice seemed odd?
Sorry just an observation.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #56

Pennsylvania
Registry
I agree with you Ed and here I was merely trying to help her out with my comment, oh well!!
Old 07-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #57

Pennsylvania
Registry
according to this How many watts does it take to crank a 5000 btu air conditioner
a 5000 btu will pull around 4-6 amps which is well within a 1000 watt honda, but with nothing else running.
Shall we continue this under a new thread for air conditioners and generators?
Old 07-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #58

Name: Nick
Trailer: OutdoorsRV
Texas
Ruth, I'm excited for you. I've been wanting to get a close look at a Snoozy and was going to a couple weeks ago but had a change in plans. Now I'm heading toward SC the 1st week of August to take a peek for myself. I've read this thread with much interest. I think I'm going to be inclined to have the propane put in but we'll see.

Looking forward to hearing more.
Rvicsvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
according to this How many watts does it take to crank a 5000 btu air conditioner
a 5000 btu will pull around 4-6 amps which is well within a 1000 watt honda, but with nothing else running.
Shall we continue this under a new thread for air conditioners and generators?
I didn't see anywhere that a 1000watt was mentioned until you did?
I may have missed it but I was responding to the post regarding the 2000watt model?

I only opened this apparent can of worms in the interest of clarity so practical advice could be sent Ruths way about the upcoming exciting new trailer.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #60

Pennsylvania
Registry
Nick,
Nick from Lil Snoozy told me that he will install any propane device you want, BUT, he can not hook it up to the propane for insurance reasons. Therefore you will have to do that yourself, either there or at home.