Getting ready to order a Lil Snoozy - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2014 livin lite
Virginia
Posts: 102
Ed,

The rpod is really nice inside. It feels much roomier than the scamp. The slide out gives alot of extra room. The cabinets look nicer, nicer finish, much better design of cabinets. The scamps cabinets are weird inside, there are wires, stuff going thru the cabinets. They scamp cabinets are weird shaped. The rpods are much nicer to use and to look at. I also really loved the rpod bed, a real bed, that was a real mattress. Not some cushions that can go up and down.

But, the rpod's construction is not as good. I always was waiting to break the screen door (never did). It felt flimsy. Also, on my model, the television was hanging down above the bed. I was always thinking we were gonna crack our heads but good on that location. I sold the rpod because i was worried about the quality.

I chose the lil snoozy because it's fiberglass, hopefully better made than the rpod. I also want a full time mattress, and I want decent cabinets.

I really like all the windows in the lil snoozy. The scamp feels too dark inside. I don't like the dark cabinets. The lil snoozy hopefully will be bright inside. Stay tuned, I'll tell you about how I like the lil snoozy. Two weeks to go....til the lil snoozy.

I've enjoyed buying and selling trailers, it's been a fun hobby. My friends think I'm crazy. Might be a little truth in that.
__________________

__________________
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
Francesca Knowles's Avatar
 
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Posts: 4,543
Registry
Hi, Ruth

It sounds like you've given this a lot of thought.
Will you be picking the trailer up at the factory?
I'm really eager to hear about how she tows and handles on the road- I hope you'll post "reviews" etc when you get home!

Francesca
__________________

__________________
.................................
Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2014 livin lite
Virginia
Posts: 102
I have been thinking about this alot. Everyone needs a weird hobby.

My recommendation to scamp would be to paint all the woodwork inside white, to lighten the inside of the trailer and it will feel bigger. My 3rd scamp was all white inside, it felt much bigger, and it was a 13 foot scamp.

I will keep you updated with the lil snoozy progress. there are things I'm still learning, and I've gotten some great advice from people here. I'll also post pictures and information as I learn more. I need to learn more about charging the battery, plug for the tow vehicle... never had a generator before either. And this will be my first cassette toilet.

My ideal trailer needs a minimum of maintenance, tows great, is big enough, but not too big. The rpod was too big and felt too heavy. The scamps tow beautifully. The rpod was low to the ground. My family thought I was just gonna get bigger and bigger trailers. No, I decided that the rpod was too big for my taste, it was just harder to tow.

If I go camping, I want to enjoy time outside with the dogs. I don't need every convenience known. I want a comfortable bed (too old to sleep on the ground), air conditioning (when it's really hot here, like right now), a bathroom ( that older bladder thing) and it's really nice to have a refrigerator. I need a way to contain the dogs if we want to go kayaking. I turn on the air conditioner, and leave them in comfort.
__________________
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Francesca Knowles's Avatar
 
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Posts: 4,543
Registry
Hi, Ruth

Do you camp mostly with hookups, or are you buying a generator big enough to supply power for air conditioning, heat, etc.?

Francesca
__________________
.................................
Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2014 livin lite
Virginia
Posts: 102
I usually camp with hookups. But, I don't like camping close to other people. Have the problem of 4 dogs with me. So, I want to expand my camping, and go where there aren't people. I ordered a honda generator with the lil snoozy, it's supposed to be small, lightweight, and can run the air conditioner if I'm not using the microwave. It's a honda EU2000i. This is my first experience of using a generator.
__________________
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Francesca Knowles's Avatar
 
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Posts: 4,543
Registry
Well, I'm not a generator user myself, but I wonder if you're a bit underpowered...
You might be OK if you're not trying to power anything but the A/C (or heater in winter)- these are by far the highest-use electrics in the trailer.
It's unclear to me how your trailer battery is charged, for example...
Some people buy a companion unit to the EU200i to increase the wattage available. Of course, that's another $1,000 or so.
Honda's homepage has a "use calculator" that helps to determine how much wattage you need- you might find it useful to play around with.
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...alculator.aspx

Francesca
__________________
.................................
Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,776
I think the Snoozy has a Window AC unit stuck in the back wall.
In general a 2000 watt Honda should have no issue running that at all.
I wonder why if you are not a generator user and are not familiar with the AC unit why you would think it was underpowered?

My 2000 will easily run my 8000 btu unit and anything else I will run with it except maybe the Microwave at the same time.
Sometimes it will,sometimes it won't.
__________________
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I think the Snoozy has a Window AC unit stuck in the back wall.
In general a 2000 watt Honda should have no issue running that at all.
I wonder why if you are not a generator user and are not familiar with the AC unit why you would think it was underpowered?

My 2000 will easily run my 8000 btu unit and anything else I will run with it except maybe the Microwave at the same time.
Sometimes it will,sometimes it won't.
I think Francesca was speaking about 11-13,000 btu conventional rv a/c and not the 5,000 btu units some of the Egger's may have and Lil Snoozy. In reality a 1,000 watt unit maybe adequate w/o knowing the spec's of the unit. That is one advantage of the smaller units, smaller generators.
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Francesca Knowles's Avatar
 
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Posts: 4,543
Registry
The Snoozy is all-electric, equipped with a 30-amp (>3000 watts) 110v power supply. The EU2000i is a 1600 watt (continuous) generator.
Presumably Ruth will plug the trailer in to the generator. Only Ruth knows what options she'll be running when camping without hookups. A/C? Heat? Fridge? Battery charger? Computer? Lights? Cooking? etc.
Going to Honda's help page and adding it all up would tell the tale.

Francesca
__________________
.................................
Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth G View Post
Ed,

The rpod is really nice inside. It feels much roomier than the scamp. The slide out gives alot of extra room. The cabinets look nicer, nicer finish, much better design of cabinets. The scamps cabinets are weird inside, there are wires, stuff going thru the cabinets. They scamp cabinets are weird shaped. The rpods are much nicer to use and to look at. I also really loved the rpod bed, a real bed, that was a real mattress. Not some cushions that can go up and down.

But, the rpod's construction is not as good. I always was waiting to break the screen door (never did). It felt flimsy. Also, on my model, the television was hanging down above the bed. I was always thinking we were gonna crack our heads but good on that location. I sold the rpod because i was worried about the quality.

I chose the lil snoozy because it's fiberglass, hopefully better made than the rpod. I also want a full time mattress, and I want decent cabinets.

I really like all the windows in the lil snoozy. The scamp feels too dark inside. I don't like the dark cabinets. The lil snoozy hopefully will be bright inside. Stay tuned, I'll tell you about how I like the lil snoozy. Two weeks to go....til the lil snoozy.

I've enjoyed buying and selling trailers, it's been a fun hobby. My friends think I'm crazy. Might be a little truth in that.
Too dark inside?, dark cabinets? Let's just say I'm your friend!
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 006.jpg   Eggy-Sue inside 008.jpg  

Eggy-Sue inside 009.jpg  
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,142
I believe that a 1000 watt generator won't have enough starting amps for the AC to get going... I read recently that a 5K btu AC needs around 1400 or 1500 watts (for those first few seconds) to start up.

The Snoozy will be a foot shorter and a foot lower height than the Pod, a little lighter weight, and I think more aerodynamic overall. I think it will tow easier and feel better to you, Ruth. The outer shell should certainly feel more rigid and durable.

Personally I enjoy the look of wood; it makes me feel like I have a homey cabin. My present trailer has not just wood cabinets but also wood paneling. With the right layout it still feels spacious. White cabinets look too sterile to me. Everyone's different!
__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
I kinda agree with Ruth about the "darkness." The wood in my 1988 is darkening with age, just like all wood. I do have the side bath, so only one window on that side and am grateful I have the large window in the front. Between the beige rat fur and the brown wood and tan formica I'm being gagged with brown. Consequently the floor is going to be BRIGHT and much brighter curtains too. Also, I think adding another roof vent, this time a Fantastic Fan near the front, will bring more light inside.

As an Oregonian, I often camp in the trees so would appreciate as much "light" as I can get. YMMV
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
The Snoozy is all-electric, equipped with a 30-amp (>3000 watts) 110v power supply. The EU2000i is a 1600 watt (continuous) generator.
Presumably Ruth will plug the trailer in to the generator. Only Ruth knows what options she'll be running when camping without hookups. A/C? Heat? Fridge? Battery charger? Computer? Lights? Cooking? etc.
Going to Honda's help page and adding it all up would tell the tale.

Francesca
OK

The fact that the converter and cable and plug are rated for 30amp has nothing at all to do with the current needs or draw of the trailer.

Your house likely has 100amp service but that sheds little light(pun intended)on your current needs or even the setup of your breakers.

If you look at your breaker or fuse panel you will note they combined current rating should exceed the service current rating.

The only relevant numbers are the draw of the appliances and the tiny AC unit I saw pictured in a Snoozy is much lower draw than an overhead AC unit.

I am not trying to start a fight really I just thought it was worth noting that after disclaiming any 1st hand experience with generators,the advice seemed odd?
Sorry just an observation.
__________________
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
I agree with you Ed and here I was merely trying to help her out with my comment, oh well!!
__________________

__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaning toward Lil Snoozy but new twist nikljones General Chat 30 08-27-2011 10:19 PM
New Camper - Lil Snoozy Old Man Snoozy General Chat 7 08-08-2011 07:12 PM
Any word from Lil Snoozy ? Santiago General Chat 13 07-14-2011 12:06 PM
Heading to Lil Snoozy nikljones General Chat 11 07-06-2011 03:42 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.