Getting ready to order a Lil Snoozy - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Floyd says above "The Li'l Snoozy looks like a nice trailer, and it is fair to compare it to the 16 Scamp, although I don't see $15 and 15minutes work every four years fairly characterized as "What a pain". and that's only if you store it outside in the elements.
BTW; they don't assemble the deluxe with rivets."

Is the statement true that deluxe Scamps do not have exterior rivets? If so, I may consider buying one. Can any else confirm or deny this. Donna, are you there?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #22

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Yeap, they bond wood inside with fiberglass then hang cabinets with screws from the inside.

I've never figured why they don't do that with the standard models as they bond a piece of wood for the couch back to hang from and the bench seats are screwed into wood bonded inside.

Now the bonding of wood would be in different areas because the Deluxe cabinets are a different size than the standard. I know this because I tried to get them to put a front dinette in my standard 13 and they wouldn't. I said just put the deluxe in. They said they couldn't because it would not fit as the deluxe models have different size cabinets.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
All the UHaul trailers have surge brakes. Think about it, if you wanted to rent a trailer, how many people out there have brake controller for electric brakes. Surge brakes work but in a different way. The T@b's have surge brakes. They have been in operation for years with success. Electric brakes need to have a brake controller. I think you can order either one on Snoozy. Without researching surge brakes, I think all you do is back up 2 feet to release them and drive away. If you can not tell that the brakes are on then that is something else. I also think that surge brakes give you an emergency brake option, something the electric does not. There are trade off's in everything we do.
Backing up a few feet is what I do to get out of four wheel drive...I'm pretty sure that surge brakes have to be overridden somehow or they sense backing as slowing/stopping.
I know U-Hauls- and most other rental trailers- come with surge brakes- the backup-override is on the tongue in those cases...
I thought you might know what the story was with Snoozy, since you've seen it. The site lists "disc brakes" as standard equipment, but it says nothing about how they're actuated. Can they be actuated by a regular electric brake controller?
Guess I'll have to ask them!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #24

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerK View Post
Ken C- Frrom what I have read, bear in mind I have not seen one in person, the inside walls are fiberglass gel coat. The entire structure is a foam core fiberglass sandwich. So no exposed foam. Please feel free to correct me, those with first hand experience, if I am wrong.
The inside has some sort of finish, it is not gelcoat like my Egg Camper. I was there at the Poconos and inspected it thoroughly.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #25

Pennsylvania
Registry
Sorry for all the duplicates, but I wanted to eliminate the other issue re: Scamp Deluxe and move the posts to a new thread and made a mistake and duplicated them here. So I went and eliminated the duplicate entries, please excuse me.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #26

Registry
Hi, all

Got a lickety-split reply from Nicholas at Lil Snoozy about the brakes...
I'll just paste in what he said.

"The brakes on the trailer are surge brakes with a back-up override. When you connect your lights to the tow vehicle, you usually have a 4 pin connector. In the Snoozy we use a 5 pin (same flat plug just with one extra pin). This extra pin is the brake lock out, if wired into the reverse lights of the tow vehicle. Your same 4 pin plug will work but you will not have the brake lock.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your questions.

Thanks for the quick reply, Nicholas!
Sounds like it'd be advisable to have your TV wired for 5-pin, Ruth- otherwise your trailer brakes will be applied when you back up!

Francesca

P.S. to anybody that knows:
Doesn't the Snoozy come with an on-board battery????
If so- can the tow vehicle charge it if it only has a 5-pin connection?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #27

Pennsylvania
Registry
sounds like you may need the 6 pin set up with the auxiliary for the on board battery
Old 07-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
sounds like you may need the 6 pin set up with the auxiliary for the on board battery
That would work- but wouldn't you have to change the trailer connection, too???
I just looked at the specs again- it does come with a battery as standard equipment, but no language about a charger or converter.
Looks like the battery can only be charged by means of another battery or a separate 110v charger...
Can that be right?

Francesca
Old 07-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #29

Pennsylvania
Registry
no, there is an on board converter and charger, it was installed in the storage compartment. She towed a Scamp before so she has a 7 pin on her t/v and I'm sure the Snoozy can be wired with a 7 pin with one being the reverse lockout ( the one that would normally be for the electric brakes)
Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
no, there is an on board converter and charger, it was installed in the storage compartment. She towed a Scamp before so she has a 7 pin on her t/v and I'm sure the Snoozy can be wired with a 7 pin with one being the reverse lockout ( the one that would normally be for the electric brakes)
I don't doubt what you saw- I'm just looking at what's listed as standard equipment on the Snoozy site.
The converter/charger must be an option- of course, it could have just been overlooked on the S.E. list.
But the trailer definitely doesn't come with a tow-vehicle-charge-to-trailer line, according to Nicholas' E-mail.
For an all-electric (heavily 12v) setup, that seems odd to me.

Francesca
Old 07-22-2011, 02:05 AM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Surge vs Electric

How would surge brakes accommodate a break-away feature like electric?

I like the disk brake idea.

How you get away with $15 for 5 years? Do you do your own bearing packs?

Moderator: When will Lil Snoozy be added to the home page list & Outback?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #32

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Yeap, they bond wood inside with fiberglass then hang cabinets with screws from the inside.

I've never figured why they don't do that with the standard models as they bond a piece of wood for the couch back to hang from and the bench seats are screwed into wood bonded inside.

Now the bonding of wood would be in different areas because the Deluxe cabinets are a different size than the standard. I know this because I tried to get them to put a front dinette in my standard 13 and they wouldn't. I said just put the deluxe in. They said they couldn't because it would not fit as the deluxe models have different size cabinets.
This must vary according to year. My 1987 Scamp Deluxe didn't have rivets -- it had screws. They used regular coarse-thread black phosphate screws to install the cabinets, screwed through from the outside, and capped. The screws were pretty rusted. I replaced them with stainless steel and new caps.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #33

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
How would surge brakes accommodate a break-away feature like electric?

I like the disk brake idea.

How you get away with $15 for 5 years? Do you do your own bearing packs?

Moderator: When will Lil Snoozy be added to the home page list & Outback?
Forgive me if you were not referencing to my comment, but the $15 and
15 minutes work to which I was refering was only for snap cap replacement, which the previous poster used the phrase "what a pain".

To answer your second inquiry, Yes I do my own bearing repacks.
I now refit small fiberglass trailers for a hobby,so everything gets done "in house".
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #34

Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm moving the last 2 posts over to Scamp deluxe, where we can continue this discussion.
Hold on a second...
Old 07-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I thought it was nice of Ruth to offer anyone to come over and check out her trailer in the future if interested. I see that post and maybe others i missed were deleted in the new scamp thread created. I was looking for, Ruth... did you get any propane option with your trailer, or is it all electric? Will it have the shower and hot water heater or just potty option, thanks.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:48 AM   #36

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Lil Snoozy

I ordered my lil snoozy with no propane. I upgraded to the cassette toilet, and added an extra large window where the tv was supposed to go. I also ordered with a generator. There is a shower, electric hot water heater.

There are pluses and minuses in choosing which trailer. I gave up the convenience of propane. I really love the scamps, there are many wonderful attributes about them. I have been buying used scamps, using them for a year, and then reselling them. There is great resale value in the scamps. they've been great fun, but I've never had a new trailer, and thought it was just time. Each time I sold a scamp, i was lucky to find a newer scamp to replace it with. I also had an rpod for a year. The rpod was really beautiful inside. It was roomier, because of the slide out. It was nicer inside than the scamp or lil snoozy. But, it didn't feel well made. It felt like things could break really easy. I believe in a minimum of fuss with trailers.

The offer is open for people to come visit and see the new trailer, hoping for pickup of new trailer in two weeks. Struggling to find a name for the new trailer.

I chose the Lil Snoozy because it looks way more open than the scamp. I like the huge windows, and even added an extra window for the openness of it.

I had to give up propane. I could have put it in the lil snoozy, but it was getting too expensive for me. Instead, I decided to go with the generator. In the past, I only used the propane for a heater. I have never cooked inside my scamps, preferring to cook outside. So, I didn't think i was giving up that much. I have only taken a shower once in the scamp, so I'm giving up the propane hot water heater also.

I don't full time in my trailers. I'm still working full time plus. I want to go away for four day weekends in my trailer. I'm a full time veterinarian. I'm looking for a way to escape with my dogs. I pack up four dogs, the food, and off we go on outdoor adventures together.
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #37

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yea Ruth Weekend jaunts are much better than no jaunts and you're going to make memories galore. It's very nice of you to offer tours of your trailer for those who are interested in buying too
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #38

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Is that long counter-top in the Lil Snoozy designed for the TV?

When I wish for another model than my Uhaul VT, it is one with more room and lots of windows and a cool design. Sounds like you are getting what you (I) want.

Were I closer, I would happily stop by to see it. Hope you have a great time!

CindyL
CindyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #39

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Ruth, Good luck with your new venture, I'm sure you will like it. I know you will like the cassette toilet, I had one in a recent Truck Camper and loved it.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #40

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
That's great, wow you have a lot of rv experience. You can have a 4 dog night with the queen bed, no problem. Like you, i'm still working too and only have time for weekends. Since you are the only snoozy around here i'm sure we will have lots more questions for you and i mean lots
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote